• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, but changing it to keyless later is not that hard. Prices can be from $50 to $1,500 (depending on how fancy you want to get)
Before going to keyless or remote start, I want to be sure I can get a headbolt heater installed for those frosty mornings. (I think this has been covered on this thread before, a couple of hundred pages back.)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Before going to keyless or remote start, I want to be sure I can get a headbolt heater installed for those frosty mornings. (I think this has been covered on this thread before, a couple of hundred pages back.)
I don't see why you couldn't; it may be a newly designed engine, but the basics still apply; so a part like a block heater shouldn't be a problem at all.
Or to answer it another way; what other engine, that is in mass production, doesn't have the ability to have a block heater?
Are there any?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd opt for the freeze plug heater before replacing a head bolt! I've put in several "stock" freeze plug heaters and they are pretty simple -- just pop one of the freeze plugs out (carefully so it doesn't fall into the engine!) and then put the heater in there, tighten the nut, plug in the wire and route it. Voila!. I've never put in one of the head bolt heaters. How do you route the wire out of the head through the valve cover? Or do you have to tap a hole into the head from the outside?

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd opt for the freeze plug heater before replacing a head bolt! I've put in several "stock" freeze plug heaters and they are pretty simple -- just pop one of the freeze plugs out (carefully so it doesn't fall into the engine!) and then put the heater in there, tighten the nut, plug in the wire and route it. Voila!. I've never put in one of the head bolt heaters. How do you route the wire out of the head through the valve cover? Or do you have to tap a hole into the head from the outside?
That might very well be what I'm talking about. I've just always heard them referred to as "head bolt heaters". My understanding was that one of the bolts that connects to the body of the engine was replaced with a bolt that contained a heater element. It's something that apparently specific to an engine, I imagined so that the new bolt is the same size as the original bolt.

I also imagine that unless one of these heater makers does something specific for the Elio engine, there will be a bit of head scratching and trial-and-error before a particular model of engine heater is listed as compatible with the Elio.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That might very well be what I'm talking about. I've just always heard them referred to as "head bolt heaters". My understanding was that one of the bolts that connects to the body of the engine was replaced with a bolt that contained a heater element. It's something that apparently specific to an engine, I imagined so that the new bolt is the same size as the original bolt.

I also imagine that unless one of these heater makers does something specific for the Elio engine, there will be a bit of head scratching and trial-and-error before a particular model of engine heater is listed as compatible with the Elio.
Pull a head bolt out; measure it (length, diameter, thread size and thread pitch) reinstall head bolt.
Take that information and go hunting on the net; or run down to your local auto parts store (that has knowledgeable people, like NAPA) and match it up.
I used to do the same thing with import car parts; like oil filters, shocks, and a few other things. Found that the shocks from a Dodge Dart would work on a Sunbeam Tiger (1/4 the price of the Sunbeam part) the oil filter from a Toyota Pickup fit a Lexus SC400, and so on.
The only thing it takes is time.

NorTracNY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pull a head bolt out; measure it (length, diameter, thread size and thread pitch) reinstall head bolt.
Take that information and go hunting on the net; or run down to your local auto parts store (that has knowledgeable people, like NAPA) and match it up.
I used to do the same thing with import car parts; like oil filters, shocks, and a few other things. Found that the shocks from a Dodge Dart would work on a Sunbeam Tiger (1/4 the price of the Sunbeam part) the oil filter from a Toyota Pickup fit a Lexus SC400, and so on.
The only thing it takes is time.
And this is an excellent example of how Elio can actually build a vehicle so cheaply

Although I still feel their low profits are keeping potential investors away.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And this is an excellent example of how Elio can actually build a vehicle so cheaply

Although I still feel their low profits are keeping potential investors away.
You do know many companies make lots of profit through volume right? Take a look at Walmart, they have very low profit percentage and yet have millions of dollars in profit.

Top Bottom