• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Most all vehicles these days have a polycarbonate headlight lens cover. Never could figure out why. Maybe Mr Carbonate is of the Illuminati.
The question was asked as : "Also will the lens itself be plastic or Glass?"
So it isn't glass, and plastic was the only other option .........
Most people classify polycarbonate as a plastic.

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most all vehicles these days have a polycarbonate headlight lens cover. Never could figure out why. Maybe Mr Carbonate is of the Illuminati.

The only reasons I can think of are weight and phenomenal impact resistance. My helmet face shields have taken some pretty ugly impacts.
I'm fine with polycarbonate as long as it's properly UV-inhibited.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had to laugh about the wood reference because recently a group (I believe in Sweden) have made wood translucent, not quite clear but able to let light through. Just a matter of time before a Star Trek prediction of transparent aluminum is available. Maybe.

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score

saltydog72

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I drive a vehicle that is 20yrs old , hoping it makes till I get my E . The lens on looks like it just came off the show room floor. Can't say that about cars nowadays. Plastic cheaper in my opinion.

saltydog72

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if they go with LED lighting all-around as a standard feature, if and when the Elio comes to market. Aside from sporty looks and better visibility, they consume far less electricity than incandescent, halogen, HID, or similar bulbs. That equates to less draw on the alternator, less accessory drain from the engine output, ipso facto less fuel burned. It's a conscious business decision in the interest of achieving lofty fuel economy metrics, both City and Highway.
Not to mention they are supposed to last alot longer.
Oops I said a bad word ,(last longer)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can definitely tell quality as time goes on. Some stay clear and some haze over almost overnight. Mine are perfectly clear but my truck was made in early 2013 so it'll take some time to see how they hold up.

Top Bottom