• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I polished the headlight lenses of my last two minivans for years, restoring their brilliance - but the service intervals became shorter and shorter until I replaced them with NEW housings. It's been several years now and they still look as good as new.

I've noticed many of the cars of the late '80's and '90's have headlight lenses that have gone almost completely translucent, and I wonder just how effective those lights are at night? I've been spoiled by the HIDs on my newer cars, so I hope the Elio will be offered with these as an OEM option or alternatively, compatible with a good aftermarket conversion.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe polycarbonate is just a fancy way of saying PLASTIC.
Yes and No. Polycarbonate (common trade name Lexan) IS a plastic, but it is a particular kind of plastic. A good example is the comparison of polycarbonate to plexiglass. Polycarbonate is much softer and more sensitive to scratching than plexiglass. Polycarbonate is also VERY sensitive to petroleum products. Do NOT get gasoline on polycarbonate. It will destroy it.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wikipedia:

Polycarbonates (PC) are a group of thermoplastic polymers containing carbonate groups in their chemical structures. Polycarbonates used in engineering are strong, tough materials, and some grades are optically transparent. They are easily worked, molded, and thermoformed. Because of these properties, polycarbonates find many applications.

Polycarbonate is a durable material. Although it has high impact-resistance, it has low scratch-resistance. Therefore, a hard coating is applied to polycarbonate eyewear lenses and polycarbonate exterior automotive components. The characteristics of polycarbonate compare to those of polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA, acrylic), but polycarbonate is stronger and will hold up longer to extreme temperature. Polycarbonate is highly transparent to visible light, with better light transmission than many kinds of glass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate#Properties_and_processing

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes I will go to a "suppliers" website to see what they are up to. A long time ago, maybe a year or so, I looked at Infinite Skyzs and saw a message that a new website was coming soon. Just looked and they still have the same message. Wonder if they are still going to be around when the Elio starts getting made.

http://www.infiniteskyz.com/

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
And at the bottom of that page, it says:
www.infiniteskyz.com_images_logo_white.png
Copyright © 2016 Infinite Skyz, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

So that page is a year old, and I think they were (possibly) absorbed by another company and that page no longer is a good link.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sent Infinite Skyz an e-mail but never got a response. I called their number today and it was answered by an answering machine. 9:00 EST before they got there probably. Still, the machine said it was Infinite Skyz so that's a good thing. Maybe.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sent Infinite Skyz an e-mail but never got a response. I called their number today and it was answered by an answering machine. 9:00 EST before they got there probably. Still, the machine said it was Infinite Skyz so that's a good thing. Maybe.

It might also just be a free Google Voice mailbox that they set up and forgot about? It will be interesting to see if you hear back from them.

Top Bottom