• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

StevenB

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I believe I read something about financing an Elio by using a special credit card for gas purchases. The card then applies an identical charge to your account toward the purchase price of your Elio. Is that just an idea (brilliant) that's being kicked around, or will that be available?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe I read something about financing an Elio by using a special credit card for gas purchases. The card then applies an identical charge to your account toward the purchase price of your Elio. Is that just an idea (brilliant) that's being kicked around, or will that be available?

From the Elio Motor's website under Faqs:

Can I finance my Elio?

Your Elio can be purchased by traditional methods. However, you may have the opportunity to drive off by using a unique Elio Motors credit card payment plan. The goal of this plan would be to allow your Elio payments to be made over time when you charge fuel. For example, each time you fuel up, there will be an extra charge equal to twice the fuel amount. That total would then automatically apply to the vehicle price.

Think of it this way: Depending on your driving habits and the price of gas, for about what you have been paying to fuel your existing vehicle, you can fuel your Elio and buy it too! Setails of the gas card program will roll out in the future.

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you are having problems with the configurator, you can try going to http://admin.eliomotors.com/configurator/. That is the direct link to it, so it fill the whole window instead of being in a popup.

This definetely open up the Configurator in tgat the Roof Racks are now visible but the selected option still does not display on top of the car for me.

After clearing cookies for myelio.me the $7300.00* displays fine now.

Get the site still needs a little work.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From the Elio Motor's website under Faqs:

Can I finance my Elio?

Your Elio can be purchased by traditional methods. However, you may have the opportunity to drive off by using a unique Elio Motors credit card payment plan. The goal of this plan would be to allow your Elio payments to be made over time when you charge fuel. For example, each time you fuel up, there will be an extra charge equal to twice the fuel amount. That total would then automatically apply to the vehicle price.

Think of it this way: Depending on your driving habits and the price of gas, for about what you have been paying to fuel your existing vehicle, you can fuel your Elio and buy it too! Setails of the gas card program will roll out in the future.

I haven't read all 1,300+ posts on this thread, but has anyone mentioned this? On a typical credit card you pay interest on the unpaid balance each month. If you finance, say, $5,000. for your Elio on the card and are paying $100. a month toward the balance, that leaves you with a large unpaid balance each month... especially for the first couple of years. I'm no accountant but if I figure it right, at normal credit card rates, you would be paying a fortune in interest over the life of the payments. Please, someone explain why I'm wrong....

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This definetely open up the Configurator in tgat the Roof Racks are now visible but the selected option still does not display on top of the car for me.

After clearing cookies for myelio.me the $7300.00* displays fine now.

Get the site still needs a little work.

I don't think the selected roof rack is displaying on the 3D model yet for anybody. I wanna see what it looks like, too!

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I haven't read all 1,300+ posts on this thread, but has anyone mentioned this? On a typical credit card you pay interest on the unpaid balance each month. If you finance, say, $5,000. for your Elio on the card and are paying $100. a month toward the balance, that leaves you with a large unpaid balance each month... especially for the first couple of years. I'm no accountant but if I figure it right, at normal credit card rates, you would be paying a fortune in interest over the life of the payments. Please, someone explain why I'm wrong....

In the example you gave, assuming an average auto loan interest rate of 3.11%, paying $100/month would take you 54 months to pay off the loan, and you'd pay $364 in finance charges. Total cost: $5364

Really, all that matters is the interest amount. That said, if Elio is truly self-financing, then they could give Zero-interest or flat-rate low-interest financing (2% maybe). This is because they are an autocycle company that profits by selling autocycles, not a bank that profits from interest payments.

Their goal is to create a sort of "layaway" system, where whatever you are paying for gas today will be your car payment on the Elio until it's paid off. My current commute sees me spending about $120/month on gas, so in the Elio I might spend $40/month. Thus, my minimum car payment each month will be $120 until it's paid off. (I will be paying much more than that, because I don't want to take forever to pay it off.)

Long story short: Elio Motors makes money by selling Elios, not by high interest loans, so I wouldn't expect anything like the crushing 7-27% interest rates you see on credit cards. More like 0-3% flat rate. But this is purely speculation.

Top Bottom