• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am waiting for a rack and container that will hold a suitcase worth of stuff. With a small cooler and gym bag in the "trunk" and enough room to store a weeks worth of clothing for 2 I would be set up for road trips. I see that as one of the most popular accessories that Elio could offer. Early in this forum there was a lot of talk about saddle bags and luggage racks and trailers and any other idea that would allow the Elio to be a viable vehicle for travel. Now, not so much.
larryboy, I'm with you. I think a luggage rack on the trunk deck lid like the old Austin-Healy or some of the other mid-50's sports cars would be perfect. Just large enough to hold one small suitcase would certainly make the Elio more functional for those weekend get-aways.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did you see the picture in Momentum V69?
Elio_Bike_Rack.jpg

I ride a couple of nice local paved trails with my road bikes.
They're within riding distance on relatively safe streets/roads.
One's 10.5mi and the other's a mile. Rails to trails.
But it'd be nice to search out some new ones.

There's one that goes 43mi from north of Warren OH to Ashtabula OH on Lake Erie.
There are also some within driving distance from Pittsburgh with numerous long tunnels.
I think I saw online that there were even some that go through old mines.
There's gotta be some scenic ones around your area.
I lived right outside of Wright Patterson and I loved Ohio's Rails to Trails initiative... probably one of the better expenditures of tax money that I've seen. Great trails that often stayed out of populated areas but were often tree lined and thus cooler than most other trails.

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can see, with all the desire to load up an Elio for travelling, that a small air bag suspension might be in order. I don't have any specs on the rear tire as far as load limits, but keep in mind there's only one back there. A blow out because of overloading could be real bad news at highway speeds. Trailers seem like a safer option to me [IMHO].
That's why I suggested a rack and CONTAINER that would hold a small suitcase worth of clothing. The container could be designed to conform to the shape of the Elio so as to minimize the effect on streamlining and small enough so that, unless filled with sand it would not be too heavy. It would also need to be sealed against dust and water, lockable and locked to the rack.

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's why I suggested a rack and CONTAINER that would hold a small suitcase worth of clothing. The container could be designed to conform to the shape of the Elio so as to minimize the effect on streamlining and small enough so that, unless filled with sand it would not be too heavy. It would also need to be sealed against dust and water, lockable and locked to the rack.
Then again, you could just live with 74 mpg with that suitcase on the back.

Top Bottom