• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Takata Air Bags ....seriously?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like the jacket idea, but is it a one time deal or can you re-set it and use it again? I'd hate to drop the jacket on the floor and have it inflate accidentally.
I don't think the drop activates it, I think it activates when your body moves away from the motorcycle unexpectedly--maybe a ripcord attached to the bike?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the jacket idea, but is it a one time deal or can you re-set it and use it again? I'd hate to drop the jacket on the floor and have it inflate accidentally.
That's the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw that little kid get off the dirt bike, and fall. It went "poof" inflated; I can see kids playing around like that, and then running to dad (or mom) "it went off again; can you make it small again?"

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I went back into the video and right at 1:10 to can see the attachment between the jacket and the bike as the rider gets off and falls over.
You'll see it at the bottom of the jacket, right around the groin area. Since it's a dirt bike, that location would allow him to stand on the pegs and not disconnect it.

Air bag Jacket.gif

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let us all hope that Elio will be as responsible after the sale as Honda has demonstrated by the previous testaments.
Honda has always been great when it comes to taking care of owners. I had a problem with my 2012 Crosstour engine. Even though it was out of warranty, Honda fixed it and gave me an 8-year, unlimited mileage warranty.

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I went back into the video and right at 1:10 to can see the attachment between the jacket and the bike as the rider gets off and falls over.
You'll see it at the bottom of the jacket, right around the groin area. Since it's a dirt bike, that location would allow him to stand on the pegs and not disconnect it.

View attachment 9520
I was watching the Kentucky cross country equestrian earlier today (4 mi course-11 min-15 sec, 25 mph) Rolex competition today and sure enough commentator Donna demonstrated the external air inflatable vest the completion riders must wear to reduced injury should the rider be launched from the horse. In that demonstration she pulled the strap release and could hardly speak after it inflated around her torso. Then during the competition one rider was ejected from a horse after it landed from one of the jumps. Coincidence or just the odds? Glad on the comfort and Safety that our Elio will come with :D

L0gic

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I presume all manufacturers do is mail the last registration address as provided by States for year make and model being recalled. I hope manufacturers pay for this list as it would not be free to generate.

I think ALL manufacturers should have a fee to pay for a national recall system which states tie into and pull recall info automatically. This would not give manufacturers more data, instead they would have to provide status on all VINS such that during registration, states can see status of any critical recall and prevent registration until resolved. This check would be done by states and notice given when they send out registration due notices... A short grace period can be granted to appease people who will cry about inconvenience...

I just "witnessed" a kid drive for reportedly over an hour, on major CA highways, using only Emergency breaking because a recalled break issue finally caught up with his car. He of course drove with this condition relatively short distances 2 more times before it was fixed...

---

If Takata did not inform the world of when they made design changes that made the product safe in newer versions, that was a fail. They should have put newer versions up for independent testing and proved te product as safe or better than others on the market... This presumes any of this possible. Their failed business is bad for all concerned except those who will pickup patents for pennies on the dollar and toss everything else including workers...

Top Bottom