• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Takata Air Bags ....seriously?

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would these deploy in a rollover?
I would expect that could be a result of the programming of the sensor system for the intended application. Interesting that the engineer came from airbag development at GM as I understand. There are certainly application issues but I prefer the concept of Superman flinging himself between me and the steering wheel rather than the bouncer flying out of the wheel and punching me in the face before I can face plant on the wheel.

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It appears that AMSAFE is now part of the Transdigm Group. The only numbers I could find without going through the hassle of talking to a person was $1000 - from 2011.
The aviation markets would be very different than I would expect for any massive (quantity) market like the Elio. The engineering cost per aircraft type and even seat location can make the cost per unit very high but a good value for that aviation purpose.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This one AmSafe Airbag

I see that they were originally designed for aviation.
But there's no reason they couldn't work in a car, IF the driver has his or her seatbelt on correctly.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction... an explosion in my crotch? Thank you, but no. Plus, that thing looks too heavy for most people to want it. "Excuse me while I drive with this dead ferret on my lap that may explode in an accident."

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Teenage Driver Dies in Texas After Takata Airbag Ruptures in Crash

By HIROKO TABUCHI APRIL 6, 2016

• Senator Bill Nelson, Democrat of Florida, said in a statement that the death showed that current recall efforts were falling short.

“Takata and the automakers have to step up their efforts to locate, notify and fix every impacted car as soon as possible — before anyone else dies,” he said.
The young lady killed by the airbag in her 2002 Honda Civic had her throat slashed by shrapnel from the airbag's gas canister when the device deployed in a 30 mph collision described as a "fender-bender" by police. A witness tried to stop the bleeding by direct pressure on the wound, but the damage was horrific - both her jugular vein and carotid artery were severed resulting in her death in seconds. Gory, yes, but indicative of the serious injury a defective device can inflict.

My late business partner's wife suffered serious injuries when her airbag deployed in a minor fender-bender as well. As she was rather elderly, taking the equivalent of a Mike Tyson punch to the face caused damage to blood vessels in her brain, and indirectly caused her death of a brain bleed about a year after the original injury. Without a doubt, airbags can be dangerous, if not deadly, when the circumstances line up just right.

It's true, they save far more lives than they take, so taken together, airbags are an important safety feature of modern cars. Sending out recall notices for possible defective airbags is all a manufacturer can do to correct the problem. IF someone chooses to ignore the notice, any resulting injuries are on them. We can't force owners to present their vehicles for critical replacement/repair of defective systems. Like wearing seat belts, at some point we have to take responsibility for our own safety.

In case of the young woman killed in a Houston suburb two weeks ago, Honda claims to have sent as many as 8 recall notices on the vehicle to the registered owners of that particular vehicle (although it's possible some of the earliest of these might have gone to a previous owner). Local news outlets claim that her name and address were supposedly on at least two of the recall notices, so Honda appears to have done its job in attempting to contact her. It's tragic to be sure, but once in a while we see that "golden BB" that gets by all of the defenses and causes a fatal injury despite our best efforts.

Top Bottom