• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Takata Air Bags ....seriously?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
"so Honda appears to have done its job in attempting to contact her."

What else could Honda have done? I got my notice for my airbag recall on my 2007 Ridgeline and I am the second owner. At Honda's expense they put me in a rental car until the parts come in.
It's been in the news, both TV and in Print; Honda did everything they could to notify owners. I heard of one, the guy was the 3rd or 4th owner and he got a notice. So you really can't say they aren't trying everything they can.
They want to see this fixed, and I will say they have really gone above and beyond the normal efforts.

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's been in the news, both TV and in Print; Honda did everything they could to notify owners. I heard of one, the guy was the 3rd or 4th owner and he got a notice. So you really can't say they aren't trying everything they can.
They want to see this fixed, and I will say they have really gone above and beyond the normal efforts.
Let us all hope that Elio will be as responsible after the sale as Honda has demonstrated by the previous testaments.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was taught early on to sit as far away from the steering wheel as I could comfortably get. I don't know if that still holds true. I was also taught that while waiting to turn left, keep your wheels straight while stopped. If some idiot hits you from behind, turned wheels will steer you right into oncoming traffic. I also know a lady who kept her seatbelt fastened all the time... behind her. She would hop in, start the car, pull the shoulder harness around her, and drive off. When she is in an accident, she may be surprised how the body can submarine under the dash. That'll probably really suck.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I was taught early on to sit as far away from the steering wheel as I could comfortably get. I don't know if that still holds true. I was also taught that while waiting to turn left, keep your wheels straight while stopped. If some idiot hits you from behind, turned wheels will steer you right into oncoming traffic. I also know a lady who kept her seatbelt fastened all the time... behind her. She would hop in, start the car, pull the shoulder harness around her, and drive off. When she is in an accident, she may be surprised how the body can submarine under the dash. That'll probably really suck.
The far away from the wheel was probably pre-airbag days. Hands at 10 & 2 was also pre-airbag; now it would break your wrists.
Distance away; I go with what's comfortable and can maintain the best control. Both hands on the wheel? For me, not so much, I drive with left hand on wheel at about 8 o'clock. But it's supposed to be anywhere from 9-3 to as low as 7-4.
Wheels straight at intersection; yup, I do, and pretty sure it still applies.
Seatbelts; we've had that discussion here once already, and I'm not opening that can of worms again. Would hope that others do the same.
"By the book" always wear seatbelts as designed.
I do, I've always made whoever is riding in the car with me do the same. You can't or don't want to, get out and find a different ride.

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sitting far back can have its problems. You may not have the same level of steering wheel control in an emergency situation, and you might've too far back to fully depress the brake pedal -- one of the reasons we have brake assist on most newer cars, and automated braking on a few.

While taking a race driving course (with a Lamborghini Gallardo), we were taught to sit close enough that you could use upper body strength to control the steering, instead of relying only on muscles in your arms. Of course, this is not needed 99.9% of the time on public roads... But neither are airbags or seat belts.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sitting far back can have its problems. You may not have the same level of steering wheel control in an emergency situation, and you might've too far back to fully depress the brake pedal -- one of the reasons we have brake assist on most newer cars, and automated braking on a few.

While taking a race driving course (with a Lamborghini Gallardo), we were taught to sit close enough that you could use upper body strength to control the steering, instead of relying only on muscles in your arms. Of course, this is not needed 99.9% of the time on public roads... But neither are airbags or seat belts.
I didn't mean sit that far away. I meant just don't sit with the steering wheel against your belly... nowhere for the airbag to go.

I could have added one. I see people starting a turn by holding the steering wheel with their wrists facing outwards. You know, if they are holding the top of the wheel, their wrists face up. It always looked awkward to me and seemed if the airbag were to go off, it would break your wrist. Holding the wheel with your wrists facing in, the airbag would just push your hand off. 2 cents... that's all.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Takata expands it's recall; again!
Now the last vehicle on this list really surprised me:
Honda had the biggest recall total on Friday with more than 4.5 million inflators, while Fiat Chrysler reported 4.3 million. The Honda total even includes about 2,700 Gold Wing motorcycles with optional front air bags.

Goldwing's?? Really?? When did they start putting airbags on motorcycles?
It appears for a long time now; 2006-2010 Honda Gold Wing motorcycles are the bikes in the recall.

I had to go looking when I saw that, so here's what it looks like:
http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-picturebook/Airbag/images/3_4smp.jpg
http://images.hgmsites.net/med/2006-honda-gold-wing-with-takata-airbag_100555132_m.jpg

And how does it work? Did you know they have motorcycle crash rating standards?

Better than having it on the bike; I like this idea instead:

Top Bottom