• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tesla Cyber Truck Unveil / Test Ride

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you consider fact based data "propaganda", then you definitely don't want to click on it.
They speak the truth. Only for right now. It sounds like back in the late 80's when you wanted to tow a trailer with a pickup, the only choice was a Ford 460 or a Chevy 454 (nobody used a Dodge). Diesels were junk. Even into the early 90's, if you had a diesel pickup you were an idiot because of things like this:
1. Diesels are under powered
2. Diesels don't start when cold
3. Diesels need to be plugged in if in situation #2
4. Diesels have a bad track record of reliability
5. Diesel is hard to find if you are in an urban area

My brother in law drag races and back then it was every 4 years, a new Chevy crew cab dually with a 454. You removed all of the smog stuff and then you were set. He started with the IDI Ford Turbo Diesel in 1993 and honestly, it struggled to tow that trailer. His friends just told him he was an idiot. He pre-ordered a 1994 Ford Powerstroke. When he got it and hooked up to that 38ft tag trailer, that thing towed it better than anything he had to date. His friends made fun of him and especially since it had an automatic (as we all know, you can't tow with an automatic). After a year of towing with that he bought a 48 ft gooseneck. All his buddies just made fun of him.

Within 5 years, nobody was using a gasser. Funny how that worked. In the end, EV pickups are not good at all for doing towing and offroading. In 5 years, I suspect we will be seeing history repeat itself. It's just hard to imagine it right now.

As we all have seen (with our Elio conversations), most people use pickups as a car and rarely as a truck. This is where the EV pickups will be sold. Not to the ones that use a pickup for what it was designed for. I look at the EV pickup as an and pickup. One to drive back and forth to wiok while you are the only passenger. Then on weekends when you take the family out to dinner or get something from Lowes.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As we all have seen (with our Elio conversations), most people use pickups as a car and rarely as a truck. This is where the EV pickups will be sold. Not to the ones that use a pickup for what it was designed for. I look at the EV pickup as an and pickup. One to drive back and forth to wiok while you are the only passenger. Then on weekends when you take the family out to dinner or get something from Lowes.

Yes, this. So much this. A replacement for people who think they need a truck even though they do not, or those who use them mainly as a commuter but maybe take the dogs/kayaks/boat to the lake on the weekend.

I see all these posts online about how it fails as a truck because it does not meet some very specific tradesman requirement. Fine, this is not the truck for them. Neither are hundreds of other vehicles out there. Well, possibly. The complaints since it is not body-on-frame so you cannot attach a winch, 5th wheel, etc are not known to not be possible yet.

As I mentioned earlier, we use a 2006 Mazda3 hatchback for our hauling needs. I figured I could just rent a truck from Home Depot if I needed to haul anything too big to fit, the last time I did that was 2009. Well, there was a time two years ago where I needed to pick up a used couch and table off CL but borrowed a friend's truck. So in the last 10 years I had to use a truck twice.

So I do not even really need the Cybertruck, but WANT one since I think it looks too cool. And likely much more efficient than my 25 MPG commuter.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Truck is starting to grow on me. I have a Ridgeline and it has become my favourite truck it, so anything is possible
Hahahaha By the time you decided to make a deposit, it'll be a 10 year wait judging from the rising reservations! It's way too cool to ignore man!

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
78402026_2642735929105512_6345822250083549184_n.jpg

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, this. So much this. A replacement for people who think they need a truck even though they do not, or those who use them mainly as a commuter but maybe take the dogs/kayaks/boat to the lake on the weekend.

I see all these posts online about how it fails as a truck because it does not meet some very specific tradesman requirement. Fine, this is not the truck for them. Neither are hundreds of other vehicles out there. Well, possibly. The complaints since it is not body-on-frame so you cannot attach a winch, 5th wheel, etc are not known to not be possible yet.

As I mentioned earlier, we use a 2006 Mazda3 hatchback for our hauling needs. I figured I could just rent a truck from Home Depot if I needed to haul anything too big to fit, the last time I did that was 2009. Well, there was a time two years ago where I needed to pick up a used couch and table off CL but borrowed a friend's truck. So in the last 10 years I had to use a truck twice.

So I do not even really need the Cybertruck, but WANT one since I think it looks too cool. And likely much more efficient than my 25 MPG commuter.
I agree! There's a bunch of them "wanna be truckers" you spot them easily because theirs never gets dirty! :D They want a truck because they sit higher and they feel more secure in it. The CYBERTRAKK has a push button flatbed cover and it's built like a tank, what's not to like??? Elon Musk miss the chance to just name it CYBERTANK! :D It'll be really cool to start seeing a bunch of them on the road by 2021-23. I missed my chance buying a DI-COMMISSIONED military HUMMVEE (not the civilian version) but it's ok because now they're not street/highway legal to drive. :(

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree! There's a bunch of them "wanna be truckers" you spot them easily because theirs never gets dirty!
Same for the Jeep crowd. I see plenty of Jeeps all tricked out but look pristine. Might as well throw in the Corvette crowd. The car is to take on the world for sportscar racing yet most that own them, look cleaner than when they left the factory. So, there's the idea of what to use a car for and then reality. I bet most people that have put down a deposit on an Elio didn't do it because they were looking to break the poverty cycle but did it because it was different and a hobby car for them where it becomes a garage queen.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Same for the Jeep crowd. I see plenty of Jeeps all tricked out but look pristine. Might as well throw in the Corvette crowd. The car is to take on the world for sportscar racing yet most that own them, look cleaner than when they left the factory. So, there's the idea of what to use a car for and then reality. I bet most people that have put down a deposit on an Elio didn't do it because they were looking to break the poverty cycle but did it because it was different and a hobby car for them where it becomes a garage queen.

Well, I actually put money down on my Elio because my round-trip drive to work is exactly 84.4 miles, and gas was getting up towards $4 a gallon at the time. Seemed like a sign to me!

Top Bottom