• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Texas Show Apr. 22-24: Post Your Questions

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
It is interesting that " It's going back to Detroit to get the real exhaust put in place" I was told by two people on the team at Mojave, CA that the exhaust on the P5 was what will be on the final production vehicle. Perhaps they meant the outside exhaust body cover is final, but the internals are subject to change.

Apparently the exhaust on the side was not hooked up and the real exhaust still exited at the rear on the P5.

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you KD, that's a lot of good information.
I find it interesting that so many people can find little difference that they like of don't like in the same car; I guess that's true with anything; we all have our own perspective on how something is vs. how we think it should be. On a vehicle that is being created for the masses, that's a very overwhelming undertaking. My hat's off to everyone at EM; they are doing a great job of pleasing the majority.

Yup, everybody has a slightly different view/vision of what is desired of the Elio.

I didn't find the Elgin cluster as bad as I thought it would be. That being said, I would like to see real analogue gauges available for water temp, oil pressure, and amps. I like to see these things. Nothing like getting a heads up on these before they go wrong.

I hope the scaling works for you. Thought it would be a bit awkward hauling out some calipers or a 6" scale!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 9211
The little black rectangle is the only fusebox iI saw. The windshield washer resevoir may also end up on this shelf. The replacable gallon jug appears to have been scrapped. No room in the engine bay after aero redesign.
It's a Pity about the windshield washer. I kind of like the replaceable bottle idea. The built in version costs between $8 and $10 per car

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the ATVM governmental document. I had been wanting this but did not have it.

In governmental documents, they tend to be extremely precise including defining all the terms they use. I searched the document for the words "proof of concept" to see all the requirements covered by it. I discovered these words (proof of concept) are not in the document. Yet, the tour people used this term as if it was a specified governmental requirement that Elio Motors had to meet, and gave a time frame it would be meet.

Thanks again for the link.
We've been over this before many times. Even one time recently. There are formal and informal requirements. There is no proof of concept is a formal requirement, but there is equally no requirement for do we ever to make an actual ruling on the application. The key to getting an application ruling is apparently proof of concept. This is because they have been burned before and do not wish to be made fools of again.

Providing a proof-of-concept does more than simply meet technical requirements. It demonstrates that Elio as an organization can get its act together, and has managed to assemble the money to get that far. All of this lends credibility to DOE in making a positive decision.

Paul has been very positive about getting the atvm loan guarantee all along. Proof of concept isn't only an obligation, it's an opportunity. That's because Paul has no doubt whatever that the car will exceed the technical requirements. Personally I can't wait!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently the exhaust on the side was not hooked up and the real exhaust still exited at the rear on the P5.
I though they said that they had fixed that after the LA show, in time for the NY show.
I think I remember someone saying that you can hear the side exhaust in that short video of them pulling into the NY show.

Seems that story changed just a bit.
But I swear I recall someone saying that they checked the exhaust opening in the bulge, and it didn't show any carbon marks; why else would you check it if they knew it was still a non-working part? Hmmm the plot thickens.......

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I though they said that they had fixed that after the LA show, in time for the NY show.
I think I remember someone saying that you can hear the side exhaust in that short video of them pulling into the NY show.

Seems that story changed just a bit.
But I swear I recall someone saying that they checked the exhaust opening in the bulge, and it didn't show any carbon marks; why else would you check it if they knew it was still a non-working part? Hmmm the plot thickens.......

There was a comment made relating to the Shreveport video .....That after it stalled and restarted you could see the exhaust at the left rear corner.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We've been over this before many times. Even one time recently. There are formal and informal requirements. There is no proof of concept is a formal requirement, but there is equally no requirement for do we ever to make an actual ruling on the application. The key to getting an application ruling is apparently proof of concept. This is because they have been burned before and do not wish to be made fools of again.

Providing a proof-of-concept does more than simply meet technical requirements. It demonstrates that Elio as an organization can get its act together, and has managed to assemble the money to get that far. All of this lends credibility to DOE in making a positive decision.

Paul has been very positive about getting the atvm loan guarantee all along. Proof of concept isn't only an obligation, it's an opportunity. That's because Paul has no doubt whatever that the car will exceed the technical requirements. Personally I can't wait!
As I understand, the money is needed to go into production and EM has the money to get that far. Perhaps the DOE is waiting until that point when EM needs the money to progress any farther. There will be more information at that point to support giving the money to EM. As I said, EM doesn't need the money until then.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe EM tends to take the prototypes to places where people will like the vehicle and make reservations. This makes good sense because the more reservations there are, the more likely they will get investment money.

I have a friend who is into big block V8s and does not like the Elio. Does macho pride have anything to do with it, or is it just opposite to what is liked----power. I wonder what the response to the Elio would be if it was displayed at a muscle car event, where everyone is into big powerful V8s.

Has the Elio been displayed at a muscle car event, and if so, what was the overall response?

Top Bottom