• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Texas Show Apr. 22-24: Post Your Questions

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 9219
Card stock is 4" wide, doing a quick ratio from the phone, dial is 3.125". Blow the picture up, you should get a better perspective.

Top speed with P5 has been 88 mph on a test track, 81 mpg has been attained. It's going back to Detroit to get the real exhaust put in place. E's are under construction, and should be finished in June. As Marshall has mentioned, it is roughly 400 lbs overweight, but the E's will be on target. I thought the shifter and clutch peddle had the right feel from what I was expecting.

We got there about an hour after they opened, and there was already quite the crowd milling about. Seemed like lots of interest, when we left about an hour later, the crowd had gotten much larger.

Can't say enough about the tour team, they are all very friendly and excited about Elio!

After my 1st visit with an Elio, my enthusiasm has not waned, and I want it more than ever!

When you live in a state that has posted speed limits as high as 85MPH, 88MPH top end doesn't cut it.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I recall, the engine in the P5 didn't have the variable valve timing system that will be in the production version. If they went with only the economy cam profiles, then the 88mph top speed may not be as far off as it seems.

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info KD!

Can you talk more about "Top speed with P5 has been 88 mph on a test track, 81 mpg has been attained..."

I would think that Elio Motors would be publicizing this information if achieved. I believe that these things happened if they say they did, but why isn't EM going public with this? There's probably good reasons, I just can't think of them.

Might I suggest they are packing an extra 400+ lbs this time as at least a partial reason? As has been pointed out, there is weight reduction that has already been taken care of for the E's, as there will also be further "tuning" done to the engine/drive train package. Perhaps a little more aero tweaking. Am sure there are other subtle variances that people more skilled in the sciences than I could conjure up.

The Elio team is working on it, and I believe they will get there. If not a touch beyond to make up for the options that some will pour on!

Go team Elio!

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's a good one: they expect better results with the E-seriess cars. Top speed is particularly an issue -- they've been promising 100+ and 88 is way off that mark. I think they'd want another run at it with an E-series car. They've known for a long time that they would get 81 mpg, but I'm sure Paul would like to squeeze that extra mpg or two out of it before trumpeting the news.

Agreed. Whole heartedly.

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When you live in a state that has posted speed limits as high as 85MPH, 88MPH top end doesn't cut it.

With 85 mph limits on that 1 road, I don't think being able to do 100 mph is really much of an idea to contend with.

We have been on that road, sparsely populated toll road btw, and you can motor at 75 mph, or less, without getting run over by to many people.

I hardly think you would want to be maxed out on the go peddle for any length of time, no matter what production vehicle you may possess.

Besides, I don't believe anybody from Elio has said that you will drive 85 mph to achieve your destination in a "fuel efficient" manner. And at the end of the day, it is all about being fuel efficient for Elio. You want to do 90+ mph for an extended drive, use your number 1 vehicle!

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With 85 mph limits on that 1 road, I don't think being able to do 100 mph is really much of an idea to contend with.

We have been on that road, sparsely populated toll road btw, and you can motor at 75 mph, or less, without getting run over by to many people.

I hardly think you would want to be maxed out on the go peddle for any length of time, no matter what production vehicle you may possess.

Besides, I don't believe anybody from Elio has said that you will drive 85 mph to achieve your destination in a "fuel efficient" manner. And at the end of the day, it is all about being fuel efficient for Elio. You want to do 90+ mph for an extended drive, use your number 1 vehicle!

Guess you don't get out to central Texas much.
I10 is 80MPH from West Gillespie / Kerr county line (that would be west of Kerrville) almost to El Paso and a lot of two lane roads are 75MPH.
When I leave home heading east, the limit doesn't drop to 70MPH till you hit Bexar County line.
I've always figured only about 60MPG max in highway driving which beats the heck out of14 - 15 MPG in my F150.
The issue being that I want to be able to drive the speed limit without stressing the engine.

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Might I suggest they are packing an extra 400+ lbs this time as at least a partial reason? As has been pointed out, there is weight reduction that has already been taken care of for the E's, as there will also be further "tuning" done to the engine/drive train package. Perhaps a little more aero tweaking. Am sure there are other subtle variances that people more skilled in the sciences than I could conjure up.

The Elio team is working on it, and I believe they will get there. If not a touch beyond to make up for the options that some will pour on!

Go team Elio!

Where do people get the idea that they are packing an extra 400 lbs? That would be an awful lot of weight to pare off what I thought was already a pretty lean machine. If they are getting 81 mpg with a 1600 lb trike 84mpg should be a piece of cake with a 1200 lb machine. Larry

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I10 is 80MPH from West Gillespie / Kerr county line (that would be west of Kerrville) almost to El Paso and a lot of two lane roads are 75MPH.
When I leave home heading east, the limit doesn't drop to 70MPH till you hit Bexar County line.
I've always figured only about 60MPG max in highway driving which beats the heck out of14 - 15 MPG in my F150.
The issue being that I want to be able to drive the speed limit without stressing the engine.

I DO get out to central tx on a regular basis. Point being, if you're scared of taxing the .9l engine (understood!), then we must abide (not unlike the dude) by what we as individuals are comfortable with. I think your mpg observations are well within reason, it is Hill Country after all, with plenty of ups and downs. And lots of 18 wheelers on I10.

I believe when VW Beetles were "somewhat" popular back in the day, interstate speed limits were 70 mph before a president decided 55 mph speed limits would conserve national fuel reserves. But, I digress...

One must know what one is comfortable with out there on the hiways and biways with the general populace I guess is my meandering point.

What? There was a point there? Yes, it went straight over my head...:argue:

All in good fun!

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Where do people get the idea that they are packing an extra 400 lbs? That would be an awful lot of weight to pare off what I thought was already a pretty lean machine. If they are getting 81 mpg with a 1600 lb trike 84mpg should be a piece of cake with a 1200 lb machine. Larry

I will take a guess of at least 40 to 50 lbs. in the extra exhaust system that hasn't been removed yet.

Top Bottom