• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Comments I Got From A Good Friend "non-believer"

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Having served with a Vietnamese Infantry Division, I learned to eat about everything and never to ask what it was. I have an iron lined stomach and am an un repented carnivore. I'll eat steaks no matter if they were grass or corn fed.
Well, being from the Bayou State of Louisiana, I'll eat ANYTHING that doesn't eat me first; from crawfish out of the ditches along the road, to turtles, alligators and Black Bird Gumbo's. In fact ANYTHING that can be put in a gumbo pot will grace my table from time to time. :rolleyes:

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, being from the Bayou State of Louisiana, I'll eat ANYTHING that doesn't eat me first; from crawfish out of the ditches along the road, to turtles, alligators and Black Bird Gumbo's. In fact ANYTHING that can be put in a gumbo pot will grace my table from time to time. :rolleyes:

MM,
You said you'd 'Eat Anything'!!!
We had a discussion, a while back, about eating Armadillo, (If the SHTF). They're called a possim on the half shell, here in Georgia. Have you been there, if so what are your thoughts?? Research in Florida states that they do not carry Epilespy, in the US.
I was riding in S.Ga. last week-end and saw 12 as a result of road kill and the thought came back up.
Is the meat red like beef or white like pork.
Yep!! It's slow around here, waiting on more info on our Elio and the Rome Air Show.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
MM,
You said you'd 'Eat Anything'!!!
We had a discussion, a while back, about eating Armadillo, (If the SHTF). They're called a possim on the half shell, here in Georgia. Have you been there, if so what are your thoughts?? Research in Florida states that they do not carry Epilespy, in the US.
I was riding in S.Ga. last week-end and saw 12 as a result of road kill and the thought came back up.
Is the meat red like beef or white like pork.
Yep!! It's slow around here, waiting on more info on our Elio and the Rome Air Show.
Yes Sir. Armadillo is very good. It tastes like port. In fact, during the depression, they were very popular in the south. They were known as "Hoover Hogs." Because it was President Hoover, they felt, that caused the depression.

As for diseases that they carry; it is an old wives tale that the Armadillo carries Hansons Disease, more commonly known as Leprosy. But that is NOT the case. However, they ARE the only animal in the world that can be used in the lab in the treatment of Hansons Disease because it can be given the disease.

At Carrville, Louisiana, located on the Mississippi River, and just down the River from Baton Rouge & the LSU campus, is a beautiful, HUGE, hospital compound that was once the home for the research programs on Hansons Disease. Patients lived there, died there and were buried there, because it was felt at the time that it was such a contagious disease. It was staffed by the Medical personnel from the US Navy, and because it was felt to be so dangerous to be around the patients, the Navy medical people were actually paid "hazardous duty pay," like solders are paid in a combat zone.

Of course, now that research has disproven the contagiousness of it, patients are no longer confined to the compound.

In about 1981 or 82, I spent a week there, living in the same housing, and going to the movies at night right along with the patients. They would ride their bicycles in the halls of the buildings.

What was I doing there?

Studying. . . . , taking a course on the treatment of "insensitive pressure sore treatment of the foot."

It was taught but Doctor Paul Brand; a British physician who first observed people in India reaching into the hot cook fires to retrieve baked potatoes.

Sorry to bore all of you with this story, I just looked back and see that I'm wasting too much of your time, So I will stop it there.

But IF you have time when here in Louisiana to pick up your Elio, you should really consider visiting that compound. It is BEAUTIFUL, and open to the public now.

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes Sir. Armadillo is very good. It tastes like port. In fact, during the depression, they were very popular in the south. They were known as "Hoover Hogs." Because it was President Hoover, they felt, that caused the depression.

As for diseases that they carry; it is an old wives tale that the Armadillo carries Hansons Disease, more commonly known as Leprosy. But that is NOT the case. However, they ARE the only animal in the world that can be used in the lab in the treatment of Hansons Disease because it can be given the disease.

At Carrville, Louisiana, located on the Mississippi River, and just down the River from Baton Rouge & the LSU campus, is a beautiful, HUGE, hospital compound that was once the home for the research programs on Hansons Disease. Patients lived there, died there and were buried there, because it was felt at the time that it was such a contagious disease. It was staffed by the Medical personnel from the US Navy, and because it was felt to be so dangerous to be around the patients, the Navy medical people were actually paid "hazardous duty pay," like solders are paid in a combat zone.

Of course, now that research has disproven the contagiousness of it, patients are no longer confined to the compound.

In about 1981 or 82, I spent a week there, living in the same housing, and going to the movies at night right along with the patients. They would ride their bicycles in the halls of the buildings.

What was I doing there?

Studying. . . . , taking a course on the treatment of "insensitive pressure sore treatment of the foot."

It was taught but Doctor Paul Brand; a British physician who first observed people in India reaching into the hot cook fires to retrieve baked potatoes.

Sorry to bore all of you with this story, I just looked back and see that I'm wasting too much of your time, So I will stop it there.

But IF you have time when here in Louisiana to pick up your Elio, you should really consider visiting that compound. It is BEAUTIFUL, and open to the public now.
Thanks for your responce. Have you ever eaten a 'Dillo'?? Would/could/will you eat one if the SHTF!~!!!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

What was I doing there?

That is an amazing and very interesting story. Thanks to tazairforce for asking and therefore triggering it. Thank you for sharing it. :-) Z

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score

What was I doing there?

That sounds like a Side Trip on the way home from Sherevesport, Thanks.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score

What was I doing there?

Great Story MM. I'd like to hear more, but think I'll pass on that lunch we were gonna have if it includes Armadillo.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for your responce. Have you ever eaten a 'Dillo'?? Would/could/will you eat one if the SHTF!~!!!
Yes, I HAVE eaten Armadillo, and YES. . . . . I will eat it again, and more often. . . . . Not "if" the SHTF. . . . . . . But WHEN the SHTF, because, it IS COMING and not in the too distant future.

Only a fool would think otherwise.

Go luck!

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is an amazing and very interesting story. Thanks to tazairforce for asking and therefore triggering it. Thank you for sharing it. :) Z
Z, most "old men" have stories to share, but not many are interested in hearing us drone on about what to most is "just a bunch of nonsense.". . . . , and so we take them with us when we leave.

But thank you for listening. . . . . . .

Appreciate Ya!

Top Bottom