• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Comments I Got From A Good Friend "non-believer"

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anything to put fresh meat on the table that does not have all the chemicals of processed meat.
Now that I do agree with. I love elk, wild boar, bison and grass fed, grass finished beef. That's what we ate in the 1940s when we had our own small farm and slaughtered some of the animals for food. Also mutton and pork. Of course we didn't have elk, wild boar, or bison but all our animals ate what their bodies were meant to eat. and my parents did get venison occasionally. :-) Z

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've never understood the grass-fed mantra. When I lived in Nebraska the beef was corn-fed. When I moved to Utah where beef is grass-fed, the decreased flavor was immediately so apparent that I complained to the butcher. He explained the difference. Haven't had a Utah-grown steak in over five years.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've never understood the grass-fed mantra. When I lived in Nebraska the beef was corn-fed. When I moved to Utah where beef is grass-fed, the decreased flavor was immediately so apparent that I complained to the butcher. He explained the difference. Haven't had a Utah-grown steak in over five years.
How many beef cattle have you seen eat corn unless it is fed to them as a grain. The meat industry has your taste buds very well trained and their pockets very well lined. There is a reason the Elio produces less gaseous byproduct than a cow. :-) Z

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand. Yes, corn is a grain and it is fed to them as a grain. Grass is not a grain and the taste of the lower quality meat is noticeable. Better that the corn is fed to animals than used to produce ethanol.

(Yes, I know the by-products of ethanol production are used as cattle feed.)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand. Yes, corn is a grain and it is fed to them as a grain. Grass is not a grain and the taste of the lower quality meat is noticeable. Better that the corn is fed to animals than used to produce ethanol.

(Yes, I know the by-products of ethanol production are used as cattle feed.)

Not sure how we got on this subject, but the guy I get my 1/2 beef (Black Angus) from up in Krakow, MO, lets them "free range" on his acreage until the last month before slaughter. Then he pens them up, and feeds them all the corn they can eat. Supposed to "marble the meat", and it IS delicious! :)
So stay away from corn, unless you want your meat marbled!

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How many beef cattle have you seen eat corn unless it is fed to them as a grain. The meat industry has your taste buds very well trained and their pockets very well lined. There is a reason the Elio produces less gaseous byproduct than a cow. :) Z

Here in Nebraska harvest will be starting soon, then the electric fences go up around the field and the cows come in. They eat all the corn they can handle. When I lived in Michigan I couldn't eat the steaks as they were grass fed beef. When your used to one it's hard to change your taste for another.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score

The primary difference is the fat. Grain fed is Omega 6 what your body can make itself. Grass feed livestock provides Omega 3 fats that you only get by eating it. Your body does not produce it. Look at who profits with subsidized corn and if that doesn't put you off your feed go ahead and enjoy.

Top Bottom