• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

rmcelroy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back to the OP, the only thing that makes sense to me about developing your own engine is, supply line control. McDougals grows thier own potatoes. Supply control, American content, I don't own a multi billion dollar corp, but I did stay.......

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back to the OP, the only thing that makes sense to me about developing your own engine is, supply line control. McDougals grows thier own potatoes. Supply control, American content, I don't own a multi billion dollar corp, but I did stay.......

One problem with that is efficiency. Ideally you want the most efficient company to make the product since they can make it cheaper. Elio would have to start a whole engine building process which takes time and more money to start.....vs purchasing them from a company who strictly builds engines.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Make all things cheaper. It seems this country has already gone that route with offshore production. Mr. Elio is attempting to bring some of that back here. Give the man a chance and if he fails then pillory him.

Who said offshore?

Fine then, lets go more expensive and less will buy.

Lets say he goes all american and it fails.....that means 0 jobs!!!
Lets say he goes 1/2 american and it somewhat succeeds....that means several jobs!!!!

Its economics. Some countries OR BUSINESSES have a competitive advantage over others. It's life.

Now i do think you can make things cheap with American labor and products. (I have a feeling my other lines will be quoted and this will be left out)....but its hard to do that from the start. Especially with a big operation and little capital. They just have to get something on the road.

whattheelf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm sure your suggestions will be considered by anyone who needs your advice.

Its not advice, just a reality check.

Reality is usually annoying to those whose fantasy is disturbed with the introduction/knowledge of real life business and economics.

Annoyance then turns to cognitive dissonance, frustration, and anger, when believers encounter someone like myself, who comes forward, actually loves the concept, loves what it would do for the country, jobs, environment, the world, etc etc, but then also understands and explains in numerous ways, as simply as possible, that this is not going to happen in any measureable way. I can wish it to be otherwise, but know better to do so.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are legend here. In your own mind. You have advice but no concrete solutions. You criticize but don't like to be criticized. You endlessly talk about you and how educated you are and your place in life above the commoner on this forum. We all have some pity for you much like we have for a homeless dog. Well we probably have more for the dog.:)

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One problem with that is efficiency. Ideally you want the most efficient company to make the product since they can make it cheaper. Elio would have to start a whole engine building process which takes time and more money to start.....vs purchasing them from a company who strictly builds engines.

Lets address "efficiency": Analysts have been saying, for over a year now, that the labor rates in the "East" have risen so DRASTICALLY in the past few years, that there is no longer any real cost savings. When you add ever increasing shipping costs, the answer becomes clear.
Now a question: Do we "know" that EM is "manufacturing" the engine? What we do know is, EM has done the "efficient" thing by NOT designing the engine themselves. Instead, they are using a well known engine designer. That sounds like the intelligent thing to do. THANKS EM ! They have also said, the former Hummer factory will be primarily used for assembly purposes. doesn't that "imply" that the "engine" would be manufactured at a different location? Possibly by "a company who strictly builds engines?" Please correct me if I am wrong, I don't recall any other property acquisitions discussed.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
poof1 (pʊf, puf)

interj.
1. (used to indicate a sudden disappearance): Poof! The rabbit disappeared.
2. pooh (def. 1).
[1815–25]
poof2 (puf, pʊf)

n.
usage: This term is a slur and should be avoided. It is used with disparaging intent and is perceived as insulting.

Ouch, that hurt my feelings.:( But I'm not going anywhere.:p

whattheelf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
You are legend here. In your own mind. You have advice but no concrete solutions. You criticize but don't like to be criticized. You endlessly talk about you and how educated you are and your place in life above the commoner on this forum. We all have some pity for you much like we have for a homeless dog. Well we probably have more for the dog.:)

This is the kind of response I expect from someone that can't even talk the talk, let alone walk it, and likely has never accomplished much of anything, its weak and only exposes your ignorance that much more. The pity is all in what I have for you and your type, because you can't control your testosterone, let alone think.

Taking criticism is no problem, I just expect the criticism to have at least some merit, some actual thought, some composition, and not just framed as some kind of ignorant attack full of one liners and fancy lame picture posting in a lame attempt to appear clever. So far, you've offered absolutely nothing to the dialogue, nothing measureable in the least, and you fool no one.

The success of EM has nothing to do with whether I or anyone here can offer up concrete solutions or not. The solutions are few at this point, because after 6 years now its been mistake after mistake, slip after slip, promise after promise, continued massive funding shortages to goal, none of the promised jobs have happened, the sales pitch market demographics further fragmented, and no one seems to know anything whatsoever what is going on at this so called production facility, other than someone else almost bought the entire parcel out from under EM just this past month, that's how barely fragile this operation is that is barely holding together with duct tape, after 6 years. So, what you don't have here is a company, its a reality show fiasco. If you think otherwise you really need to put down the crack pipe.

Top Bottom