• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tolls And The Autocycle

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes they do. I know it's a huge problem with local riders who object to paying the same toll as the cagers, but it's a case of greed over reason. :suspicious:
Do they charge the same fee for semi-trucks? Since most tollways use the funds raised for maintenance and upkeep they should. So a toll scale based on how much wear and tear a vehicle places on the road makes sense. If they charge more for trucks than cars, then should charge more for cars than motorcycles. An Elio should land somewhere between those two. If they're charging the same regardless of what type of vehicle it is then it's kind of fair, just not based on wear and tear rates each vehicle places on the road.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Do they charge the same fee for semi-trucks? Since most tollways use the funds raised for maintenance and upkeep they should. So a toll scale based on how much wear and tear a vehicle places on the road makes sense. If they charge more for trucks than cars, then should charge more for cars than motorcycles. An Elio should land somewhere between those two. If they're charging the same regardless of what type of vehicle it is then it's kind of fair, just not based on wear and tear rates each vehicle places on the road.
This is going back down memory lane from a long time ago when I lived in NW Indiana / South Chicago; Semi's were charged by the axel, put they had class stickers (for weight) that ended up being like the toll multiplier, so # of axels X weight class = toll
Cars and bikes, 2 axels = standard toll
This was 40 years ago, so it might have changed by now. I have to go back that far because we don't have toll roads around here.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do not argue with your logic. Just with expecting fees to be based on logic.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I can remember seeing signs on the toll roads that mentioned axel count. But like you, I don't have toll roads here to know what the current set up is.
I thought about it and we do have a bridge about 40 miles east of here on the Columbia River; "Bridge of the Gods"
Looks like the toll for an Elio would be between $1.00 and .50 $.75?
Tolls for cars and bikes is cheap, and if you don't have it, "just make sure to have it next time"
Here's the rates:
Bridge Tolls:
Vehicle Type:
Toll:
Toll w/ Coupon Book*:

Bicycles, Motorcycles & Pedestrians:
$.50

Non-Commercial Trailers (per axle):
$.50

Automobiles & Pickups:
$1.00

Pickups with Dual Wheels:
$2.00

$1.50

2 Axle Trucks:
$2.00

3 Axle Trucks:
$4.50

4 Axle Trucks:
$6.00

5 Axle Trucks:
$7.50

6 Axle Trucks:
$9.00

7 Axle Trucks:
$10.50

8 Axle Trucks:
$12.00

9 Axle Trucks:
$13.50

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought about it and we do have a bridge about 40 miles east of here on the Columbia River; "Bridge of the Gods"
Looks like the toll for an Elio would be between $1.00 and .50 $.75?
Tolls for cars and bikes is cheap, and if you don't have it, "just make sure to have it next time"
Here's the rates:
Bridge Tolls:
Vehicle Type:
Toll:
Toll w/ Coupon Book*:

Bicycles, Motorcycles & Pedestrians:
$.50

Non-Commercial Trailers (per axle):
$.50

Automobiles & Pickups:
$1.00

Pickups with Dual Wheels:
$2.00

$1.50

2 Axle Trucks:
$2.00

3 Axle Trucks:
$4.50

4 Axle Trucks:
$6.00

5 Axle Trucks:
$7.50

6 Axle Trucks:
$9.00

7 Axle Trucks:
$10.50

8 Axle Trucks:
$12.00

9 Axle Trucks:
$13.50
I love that. In Houston, there are no toll booths and if you happen to find yourself on the Toll portion of an otherwise free highway, you get an expensive TICKET in the mail. They are really catering to the regular user and giving the shaft to the unfamiliar traveler.

SPF

Reaction score
I'm thinking the E's will be charged tolls as cars, treated as motorcycles for HOV's,
and here in (Washington) government operated ferries charged as M C, line up as cars.
Required emissions testing??
driver's license road testing as a car?
toll roads?
Bridges/tunnels?
Parking fees/permits?

SPF

Reaction score
I'm thinking the E's will be charged tolls as cars, treated as motorcycles for HOV's,
and here in (Washington) government operated ferries charged as M C, line up as cars.
Required emissions testing??
driver's license road testing as a car?
toll roads?
Bridges/tunnels?
Parking fees/permits?
Yes they do. I know it's a huge problem with local riders who object to paying the same toll as the cagers, but it's a case of greed over reason. :suspicious:
For Washington state ferries. Three wheeled vehicles pay by the foot. Must be shorter than 8 feet for the motorcycle rate. Elio will pay the small car rate 14 feet or less.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For Washington state ferries. Three wheeled vehicles pay by the foot. Must be shorter than 8 feet for the motorcycle rate. Elio will pay the small car rate 14 feet or less.
thanks, and welcome, don't know how closely you've been following progress and this site, but you've arrived at a great time!!
Progress is now measured in weeks and months!!

Top Bottom