• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trunk Questions

BillZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm with you! The more functional the better! Mine will have a hitch, and a hitch carrier. I can fab my own. If I make it 2' wide it shouldn't affect drag. I think I will eventually make my own trailer, too.
You could always try Uni-Go trailer that's already available for motocycles. Jus' sayin'...course you'd have to fab up a hitch or get those folks to create a new hitch for the burgeoning market.

robert109

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an all in reservation for the Elio. I was looking at the specs PDF and saw this: Trunk Size: 27” x 14” x 10” . I see videos at trade shows showing the back seat folding down (flat). Do you have the measurement of the effective trunk space with the seat folded down? Actual measurements would be great as well as the square feet amount.

thanks!
Robert Veach

Last edited by a moderator:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Joshua Caldwell said: I emailed Elio inquiring if the trunk would be big enough to fit full size airline checked baggage and the answer is no.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
View attachment 2431
My reply: Thats ok with me because I can't afford to fly anymore. ...If I needed to carry full size airline checked baggage in my Elio it would only mean that I had my EX stuffed inside of that suitcase and I was on my way down to the river to dispose any and all evidence.
too late if it's your x -why bother now! it already cost you $, why risk jail???

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Prius has a button just under the edge of the hatch. Invisible. Since the whole locking system is electronic it can't be opened without the whole car being unlocked. I have to assume the Elio release is just above the back-up lights in the above picture.

thanks for opening his (eyes)- and hatch -an extra push on the key fob was never a problem.!

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have an all in reservation for the Elio. I was looking at the specs PDF and saw this: Trunk Size: 27” x 14” x 10” . I see videos at trade shows showing the back seat folding down (flat). Do you have the measurement of the effective trunk space with the seat folded down? Actual measurements would be great as well as the square feet amount.

thanks!
Robert Veach
IMHO NEVER post your email or phone, I hope that number isn't your place on line!!

Last edited by a moderator:

RevTriker

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Could you simply put the suitcase in the back seat? If its big enough for a full size adult I would guess you could fit a bag in back. Also, I think the dimensions are with the rear seat up. If you fold the seat down the cargo area would be larger.
Just got my email from the Elio Marketing Team showing the Elio with trunk hatch open and the rear seat folded down, not sure of the dimensions yet but looks very promising. Hopefully with the rear seat back being adjustable it will allow you to also recline it some into the trunk space which would solve one drawback I saw on the P4 being shown in Broomfield.
Kevin

AncientOne

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I emailed Elio inquiring if the trunk would be big enough to fit full size airline checked baggage and the answer is no.

Airline baggage dimensions: 28.5" x 19" x 10.5"
Trunk dimensions: 27″ x 14″ x 10″

It looks like I'll either be in long term parking during trips or go to the airport in a friends' car.

Posted by cstempeck on September 26, 2014 on the Elio blog is a full discussion regarding the trunk. It is not a huge trunk granted but it is not a huge car either. I'm OK with it.

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the white part on the frame at the bottom center of the opening could be part of a latch ... the picture isn't clear enough to see if there is a button on the trunk lid above the white part .... still no key slot shown

Jim

My 2014 Kia Forte does not have a key slot for opening the trunk either. One opens the trunk by pressing and holding a button on the key fob or by using the manual release lever next to the driver's seat. My Honda Element does have a key slot for the rear hatch, but I never use it. I can see trunk key slots going extinct like ashtrays, cigar lighters and spare tires.

Top Bottom