• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trunk Questions

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My car has a rear release on the key too. But, Elio is attempting to build a car that sells for $6,800. There can't be many bell and whistles at that price.
Don't know if you would call it a bell or a whistle but it is having the choice that has become the rarity. Building a vehicle with two openings (door and trunk lid) and having them open two different ways would be pricier than just one.

Reactions: DWR

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I can see trunk key slots going extinct like ashtrays, cigar lighters and spare tires.

we use a key when required, remote when available .... as to spare tires, we have on on all of our cars, pickup, boat trailer, 5th wheel camper and so on .... wouldn't want it any other way .... we also are most happy to have 12V outlets in our vehicles ... our GPS and other electronics .... they may not be used for cigar lighters but they have many other uses

Jim

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Jim do you use the spares often?

work trailers -- yes, usually construction debris ....

7 year old boat trailer -- every couple of years ....

4 wheel drive pickup -- 2ce since it was bought in late 2011 ....

5th wheel camper -- RV manufactures are installing very cheap, Chinese tires .... we went through 6 during the first 10 months we had the camper .... moved to American made, very good tires and have had 2 in the last 3 years .... both due to not being able to avoid road debris

daughter's '02 Tahoe -- 3 in 12 years

bottom line, thankfully not on a super often but often enough to realize the wisdom in having a spare tire

Jim

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score

5th wheel camper -- RV manufactures are installing very cheap, Chinese tires .... we went through 6 during the first 10 months we had the camper .... moved to American made, very good tires and have had 2 in the last 3 years .... both due to not being able to avoid road debris

bottom line, thankfully not on a super often but often enough to realize the wisdom in having a spare tire

Jim

Fix a flats are fine but we were on a way to a funeral a few years ago when my dad's tire on his grand prix got a tear in it no fix a flat could save. I'm glad we had a spare that day because if we had to wait for AAA, we would have missed it.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My car has a rear release on the key too. But, Elio is attempting to build a car that sells for $6,800. There can't be many bell and whistles at that price.
These days some of the bells and whistles cost less than more traditional and older solutions. And they are more readily available. I look forward to seeing the final rear hatch configuration in all aspects because the P4 was definitely a redesign to show what could be done but does not appear to be the ideal design. In other words, it works, but for how long. Of course considering how many people see, test, and use the P4, it has held up pretty well. I am very happy they made that change in the P4 and am glad they are raising the back roof line to match the P3. I am absolutely certain both are major improvements. :-) Z

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Jim

I don't have a boat or motorhome but do have seven registered vehicles and have not had a flat tire in over 15 years other than on my lawn mower. No the mower isn't registered. Have picked up some hardware but have always been able to ride or drive it to get it repaired or replaced. Not having a spare will definitely not get my bowels in an uproar.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had two flat tires, while driving a public road, my entire life. Started driving legally at sixteen, I'm almost 55 now.
IMO, part of defensive driving includes looking ahead at your chosen path. Debris or other things that should be avoided, including walkers, washouts, tree limbs and mufflers, need to be detected as soon as possible.

Top Bottom