• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Us Senator Vitter Introduces Autocycle Safety Act - S.685

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It may not be possible to "pre-buy" credits. They may be able to reserve them though. Ford may pay $1,000 to reserve each credit with the understanding that they'd then pay $2,000 when available. However, if all of a sudden, the Federal government said "Elio Motors will qualify for one credit per vehicle they produce." (I know... government doing something fast...), an investor might think "Hmm... $6,800 car subsidized by credits worth $2,250 for each vehicle (actually, it's $2,500 per credit but Elio has to keep 10% of the credits as each manufacturer is required to pay 1 credit per 10 vehicles produced) plus the $1,000 net profit in each vehicle would be $3,250 profit on each $6,800 of sales plus 10% on all options sold." 47% profit is not bad at all in the auto manufacturing world.

$3,250 x 40,000 = $130,000,000 profit not including options...........hmmmmm
looks better than CDS's to me. :D

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Per the EM website...

"The legislation provides that autocycle manufacturers must immediately meet certain safety standards until such time as the NHTSA can promulgate final safety regulations covering autocycles. To be eligible for the new classification of autocycle, the vehicle must qualify as meeting Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS)—not limited to, but including most standards for passenger vehicles under 10,000 lbs. Some of the requirements will be FMVSS for seat belts and seat belt anchors, child restraints, roof crush and meet upper interior impact standards. Autocycles also must have front and side curtain airbag protection. In addition to numerous safety standards needed for qualification, autocycles must meet FMVSS for motorcycles as well. The legislation also requires the continued investigation of additional standards appropriate for autocycles, developing additional safety standards for these vehicles. “Not only will Senator Vitter’s legislation provide consistency across all jurisdictions..." (bold type is my insertion)

This guy will have us wearing helmets and death belts, and paying full performance automotive insurance premiums and automobile registration fees as well. All the fuel cost savings of owning an Elio will be handed over to the greedy insurance companies and the state. All of you who didn't want to get a motorcycle licence are going to find out how much a helmet costs - hint, they used to be cheap until they became mandatory. No doubt they will want GPS tracking and police/government secret remote kill switches installed as well, just like in the new cages.
Might be a little hyperbole, then again, maybe not...

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Per the EM website...

"The legislation provides that autocycle manufacturers must immediately meet certain safety standards until such time as the NHTSA can promulgate final safety regulations covering autocycles. To be eligible for the new classification of autocycle, the vehicle must qualify as meeting Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS)—not limited to, but including most standards for passenger vehicles under 10,000 lbs. Some of the requirements will be FMVSS for seat belts and seat belt anchors, child restraints, roof crush and meet upper interior impact standards. Autocycles also must have front and side curtain airbag protection. In addition to numerous safety standards needed for qualification, autocycles must meet FMVSS for motorcycles as well. The legislation also requires the continued investigation of additional standards appropriate for autocycles, developing additional safety standards for these vehicles. “Not only will Senator Vitter’s legislation provide consistency across all jurisdictions..." (bold type is my insertion)

This guy will have us wearing helmets and death belts, and paying full performance automotive insurance premiums and automobile registration fees as well. All the fuel cost savings of owning an Elio will be handed over to the greedy insurance companies and the state. All of you who didn't want to get a motorcycle licence are going to find out how much a helmet costs - hint, they used to be cheap until they became mandatory. No doubt they will want GPS tracking and police/government secret remote kill switches installed as well, just like in the new cages.
Might be a little hyperbole, then again, maybe not...

Take a deep breath as everything will be ok! :D

What you may find interesting is that this bill should not be a problem for EM because this bill was written by EM and introduced by Louisiana Senator Vitter on EM's behalf so it's language has actually been specifically crafted to resolve the issues EM is having. :cool:

We are still waiting on the exact text as it was introduced this week however the full text is not yet available online. :)

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/685

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
G1, thanx for moving my post - the Sen. Vitter didn't register.
However, government is no longer about doing what's best for the people. It's about controlling, distracting and pacifying them - and getting re-elected.
Oh, yeah - and greed, lots and lots of greed.

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” -B. Franklin

Last edited:

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am reasonably confident that all of you and I have broken some laws, rules, or regulations yesterday.Its virtually impossible for anyone to live today without breaking the law. - 40,627 new laws were put into effect in 2010 alone !!!!! No one knows how many laws exist . We are banning and regulating ourselves into a state of atrophy .

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am reasonably confident that all of you and I have broken some laws, rules, or regulations yesterday.Its virtually impossible for anyone to live today without breaking the law. - 40,627 new laws were put into effect in 2010 alone !!!!! No one knows how many laws exist . We are banning and regulating ourselves into a state of atrophy .

Into a state of atrophy or into a state of voluntary slavery.
I always exceed the speed limit by 3 or 4 MPH.

Last edited by a moderator:

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I very much dislike this. I live in California and this sets the stage for California to require emissions testing every two years just like cars. It also means engines cannot be modified in any way. Not even the air filter! That’s right. A different air filter is a modification, illegal in California, and the vehicle can not be registered. You in other states, don’t laugh. This is coming your way. A motorcycle calssification was going to be the freedom from this. Any of you motorcycle riders know that concept of “freedom”.

Since it would no longer be classified as a motorcycle, we would automatically be prohibited from using the HOV lanes. Laws say what vehicles can use it and it does not make mention of autocycles. Automatically we would be excluded. (However, if these vehicles really became numerous, they would eventually be prohibited from the HOV lanes anyway.)

All the advantages of being classified as a motorcycle will be gone because it will no longer be classified as a motorcycle.

If EM makes a lot of money from these from credits and sales, do you really think the major auto manufactures will not make their own? Of course they will. And they have thousands of dealers around the country, anywhere, that are “real service centers” that the buying public has confidence in. They have many experienced engineers, design centers, and manufacturing facilities. EM consists of about 25 people. It would be very, very, easy for the auto companies to can make a copy, and if this happens, EM may just go out of business. Plus they definitely would not have an Elgin dash which of itself is enough to sway many customers.

If this becomes popular, the auto companies could make a copy, add a one foot long axle at the rear, add two tires separated by one foot on it that turn independently, and it is now a four wheel automobile. The auto companies could have the credits and could not care less about any autocycle classification.

A good point about this legislation is that even if EM unfortunately never materializes, the auto companies may still make something like it. They will have real incentive to. I would hate to see it happen because Paul Elio is the one who deserves the credit for creating this great vehicle. There is a real dinger for EM. They could easily be a victim of their own success.

This is good for Elio motors. Is it really good for us? I know it is bad for me and a lot of others. I still love the vehicle but I am starting to have a sinking feeling.
Get out. Do it now. Leave commiefornia to the hippies and illegals.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio is looking our for Elio Motors, not us.

Remember this when you read about his actions.
This is very true. But in this case, looking out for Elio Motors is in our best interest as well. Positive things that help get Elio into production is definitely in our best interest.

Top Bottom