• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Us Senator Vitter Introduces Autocycle Safety Act - S.685

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
We don't even need a Federal Government bill just a simple change to existing State MC Registration and Licensing Laws for MC endorsement and helmet exemptions.

The evil you mention that lurks in the heart of man is driven by money, profit, and CAFE Credit greed. I hope somebody shoots the bill in it's tracks and puts it out of my misery.

It would be nice if making a profit did not need to be the motivation to get things done however that utopia does not exist outside of dreams. Here in the real world businesses do not necessarily need to rape and pillage however they generally do need to be profitable to keep their doors open.

The simple fact is that the CAFE credits are important to EM because the more profit potential EM can show the more likely it is investors will be willing to take the profit they made elsewhere and reinvest it in EM.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We don't even need a Federal Government bill just a simple change to existing State MC Registration and Licensing Laws for MC endorsement and helmet exemptions.

The evil you mention that lurks in the heart of man is driven by money, profit, and CAFE Credit greed. I hope somebody shoots the bill in it's tracks and puts it out of my misery.

The Elio is either a Motorcycle, Autocycle, or Car. Paul can't have a three way.
The thing about the bill would be that you could drive your Elio from Louisiana and then home without having to have a helmet on board... or a motorcycle license... Some will be traveling through states that require one or both. Defining an Autocar and then requiring only a driver's license to operate it would be a good thing. I could see the bill being too restrictive and hurting Elio but it probably won't. Emissions and crash testing could add significantly to the Elio's cost and timeline though... maybe.

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would be nice if making a profit did not need to be the motivation to get things done however that utopia does not exist outside of dreams. Here in the real world businesses do not necessarily need to rape and pillage however they generally do need to be profitable to keep their doors open.

The simple fact is that the CAFE credits are important to EM because the more profit potential EM can show the more likely it is investors will be willing to take the profit they made elsewhere and reinvest it in EM.

Agreed. If you can get the CAFE credits, it will make a huge difference. People forget that just about all the major transportation improvements in the US were encouraged by Federal and State government intervention: canals, long line railroads, cargo ships, airlines and interstate highways were developed with subsidies, low-interest loans, guaranteed government contracts or protectionism of some sort. Anyone who thinks that things were different in the "good old days" ought to read some history. One of the first great political fights in the new United States was over Federal funding of "internal improvements," like canals. Railroads were built on U.S. Mail contracts, Federal Bonds (used as collateral for low-interest loans), massive land grants for building the trans-continental railroads, subsidies and contracts to shipyards, Air Mail contracts to the new air carriers and Federal money for the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System. Electric cars benefit from tax credits. Why shouldn't this next innovation be any different?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

My reference is more to politcal and venture capital greed. A fair profit is the primary business motivator. I think Paul Elio's dream was to make a fair profit on the Elio, not break even, and profit from CAFE credits, but whatever works. It's all only a dream at this point in time. Politics on the national level has potential to rally positive support or carries the potential risk of blowing an EM foot off rather than just shooting a hole in it. Go Sheltrown! I hope the hell you know what your doing!

I'm hoping the Federal Government assist will be primarily through the low interest ATVM Loan approval.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. If you can get the CAFE credits, it will make a huge difference. People forget that just about all the major transportation improvements in the US were encouraged by Federal and State government intervention: canals, long line railroads, cargo ships, airlines and interstate highways were developed with subsidies, low-interest loans, guaranteed government contracts or protectionism of some sort. Anyone who thinks that things were different in the "good old days" ought to read some history. One of the first great political fights in the new United States was over Federal funding of "internal improvements," like canals. Railroads were built on U.S. Mail contracts, Federal Bonds (used as collateral for low-interest loans), massive land grants for building the trans-continental railroads, subsidies and contracts to shipyards, Air Mail contracts to the new air carriers and Federal money for the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System. Electric cars benefit from tax credits. Why shouldn't this next innovation be any different?
Keep in mind that EM is already receiving alot of favorable State and local government support, which is a positive, in building the dream. I'm in favor of government support, just don't trust some political motivations in the real world when one starts politicing to change Federal Legislation to meet their personal needs.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My reference is more to politcal and venture capital greed. A fair profit is the primary business motivator. I think Paul Elio's dream was to make a fair profit on the Elio, not break even, and profit from CAFE credits, but whatever works. It's all only a dream at this point in time. Politics on the national level has potential to rally positive support or carries the potential risk of blowing an EM foot off rather than just shooting a hole in it. Go Sheltrown! I hope the hell you know what your doing!

I'm hoping the Federal Government assist will be primarily through the low interest ATVM Loan approval.
I'm just asking here because you seem to be online and I don't feel like looking it up. The ATVM is just a loan guarantee, isn't it? It is just the government's guarantee to anyone who would loan money to Elio that they won't lose their money (Like the FDIC)? I really don't remember.

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm just asking here because you seem to be online and I don't feel like looking it up. The ATVM is just a loan guarantee, isn't it? It is just the government's guarantee to anyone who would loan money to Elio that they won't lose their money (Like the FDIC)? I really don't remember.
Its a guarantee and lowers the interest rate.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Depends on which type you apply.
There is the loan guarantee and there is the low interest loan.
Last I heard, EM was going for the low interest loan.

Top Bottom