• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Web App For Guessing Production Date

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
As we can all see the app is still subject to change as bugs are found and/or the information from EM changes.

For anyone who is really good with spreadsheets we could use some help correcting a fault with the current graph. The numbers along the top and bottom of the current graph are essentially in two week blocks as they increase by 10 work days which is two work weeks, M-F. The issue is that from what we understand Elio Motors intends to ramp up from 0-500 cars in 90 calendar days, 13 weeks, and not 90 work days, 18 weeks, as the graph currently shows.

So what we need is a new graph which ramps up production in a similar bell curve like trend to reach 500 units per shift after 13 weeks of production which is 65 work days. For the addition of the second shift we essentially need the same thing but instead starting at 500 units per shift and ramp up to a total of 1,000 units over 13 weeks/65 work days.

Something had actually been bothering me about the graph for a while now but I just recently decided to study it closer and realized what was bothering me. I was planning on working on this when time allows however I know we have some real math and spreadsheet whizzes out there so If someone else wants to tackle a revised graph this is the current graph information and a summary of the information we have from EM on this issue:
Silas Sunday produced this great production estimate graph and posted it today to EMOA on Facebook. This pretty much matches what we have been told by Elio Motors in their blog and also what Paul Elio described in the Town Hall meeting while extrapolating a proper ramping up of production instead of just producing hundreds of Elios per shift on day one.
elip-production-estimate-jpg.2270.jpg

The blue line is line/shift 1, orange is line/shifts 1 & 2, green is both lines/shifts 1 & 2 @ 100%
...Here's some instructions on how to read the graph:

The numbers at the top are the running total of cars produced. The numbers at the bottom are number of days after start of production. So if you look at the bottom at say 80 days, you can look up and see 15,600 cars made after 80 days. Then to the left, are the number of cars produced per day. In the 80 day example, you look at the graph, follow it over to the left, and they hope to be making about 475 cars per day after 80 work days.
For those of you who may not have seen this information and would like a little more explanation on where the graph numbers came from:

In this blog post, dated April 11, EM stated that those who made an all-in reservation on that day would have to wait about 5-7 weeks after production begins to receive their new vehicle.
Q. I have an All In reservation for ($100, $500, $1000 etc.), when can I get my Elio?
  • The reservation system is set up to allow for vehicles to be delivered in the following order: $1,000 All In, $500 All In, $250 All In, $100 All In then on to the $1000 Want In, $500 Want In, $250 Want In and finally the $100 Want In group. The date and time your transaction was completed locks in your spot, which includes moving up to a higher level with and upgrade of your All In reservation. It is difficult to forecast when a certain level will get their Elio. The only one that we can “guesstimate” right now is the $1000 All in group because they know their spot in line. If you were to make a $1000 All In reservation today we are estimating that you would receive a vehicle 5-7 weeks after production starts next year.
    http://blog.eliomotors.com/readers-choice-friday/
We happen to have a member, Zarquon, who made his All In $1K reservation on April 11 and his number is 3686 so this gives us some good insight into how slowly EM expects production to ramp up.

Also in the recent town hall meeting Paul Elio told us that in order to build 250,000 vehicles a year there will be two shifts working five days a week producing 500 vehicles per shift. So this is 1,000 vehicles per day over 250 work days per year which is what you would expect when you deduct holidays from the work calendar. These numbers also equal the 250,000 per year production number which we have been told about repeatedly.

Paul Elio also told us that the plan is to reach full shift speed, 500 vehicles per day, in 90 days then split the shift in two with half the workers moving to the second shift. He said it should take about another 90 days to reach the full speed of 1,000 vehicles a day across two shifts.

We also happen to have a member, Ty, who is an Industrial Engineer who worked at the GM Shreveport plant, and he tells us that GM ran their stations timed so that each station took no longer than 54 seconds. If you run the numbers you will find that if Elio Motors also used that same station timing they could produced 500 vehicles in only 7.5 hours. This tells us that 500 vehicles per shift is not an unrealistic production number at all especially considering that each and every vehicle will be identical other than paint color and choice of transmission.

Last edited:

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is so cool regardless of how it works. I am hoping to have my Elio by my 74th birthday and the date range given is 11/16-11/19/2015. My birthday is 11/18. LOL Unbeleivable. If it happens I will consider you a true magician for predicting it. LOL :) Z

Don't worry, I will not hold you responsible if it doesn't happen during that time, but I sure was surprised to see the results. One more toy to play with!
I'd get mine between my birthday (11/24) and Christmas, 2015. Maybe there will be an Elio under my tree.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
A repeated question on the forum is "When will I have my Elio?!" A common chart is passed around, but it isn't easy for everyone to understand and doesn't have dates on it. Because of this and for your pleasure, I have created a web app to give you what you want!

If you are $1000 all-in (or merely curious) feel free to follow the link below and punch in your number. This will provide a 2 week date range for production of your Elio based on Silas Sunday's chart. Goofyone has discussed with me that this may not be an entirely accurate chart There are more details about that given on the page.

For those of you new to the Elio world (or those with ever-hopeful hearts), please remember that the Elio is in development, and the calculator is based on collected scraps of Elio statements. It is not a guaranteed date range that your Elio will be finished by. I will update the calculator as we find out more.

http://www.crazygonutz.com/misc/elioproduction/

This is very cool. Well done!! Former software developer here, currently maintain websites for my employer. :-)

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you enter
if says
NaN/NaN/NaN - NaN/NaN/NaN* AKA: [na na na na boo boo, your number is so high its poopoo :D]

Ah...end users.... Always trying to do something that the system was never designed or intended to do. This is why error trapping (read idiot proofing) is 5x the job that actual development is. Job security!

Macadamean

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If you enter
if says
NaN/NaN/NaN - NaN/NaN/NaN* AKA: [na na na na boo boo, your number is so high its poopoo :D]
Haha, yeah, I didn't want to go through the effort of bulletproofing. You can also select Feb. 31st when doing a new production date. At least Javascript will just make the day 3 days ahead of Feb. 28th.

Top Bottom