• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is Elio Stock Trading For Today?

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A manufacturer can certify their own production motorcycles. Design, engineer, build, and test the motorcycle prototype, pre-production motorcycle, or production motorcycle to documented USA certification requirements. Manufacturer Certification can be validated after production begins, by a third party only if needed.
That's not the way it works.

Bikes have to be tested by independent institutions that then send the results to the NHTSA for evaluation and review.
No matter who spins it otherwise. The Manufacturers can and must submit their technical information...
But the vehicles must be independently tested for quite a number of requirements.

The people we see delivering a very small number of vehicles to first adopters...
Are one-offing those certifications and registrations in a similar manner to what EMV is doing.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's not the way it works.

Bikes have to be tested by independent institutions that then send the results to the NHTSA for evaluation and review.
No matter who spins it otherwise. The Manufacturers can and must submit their technical information...
But the vehicles must be independently tested for quite a number of requirements.

The people we see delivering a very small number of vehicles to first adopters...
Are one-offing those certifications and registrations in a similar manner to what EMV is doing.
That's what I thought too, but not according to Arcimoto. Their bikes are rolling out and being registered and licensed in 2 States. Arcimoto stated manufacturer compliance validation met the requirements and may do private third party verification later on. My understanding after numerous emails with Arcimoto regarding the FUV compliance and certification process. They said the first vehicles were easily licensed in the normal registration and licensing process without issue.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's what I thought too, but not according to Arcimoto. Their bikes are rolling out and being registered and licensed in 2 States. Arcimoto stated manufacturer compliance validation met the requirements and may do private third party verification later on. My understanding after numerous emails with Arcimoto regarding the FUV compliance and certification process. They said the first vehicles were easily licensed in the normal registration and licensing process without issue.
And how many exactly have actually rolled out onto the highway?
EMV has ~26 out there and they're all one-offs.

Just sayin' man. I know it to be otherwise for full mass production.

Best guess is that the first few are still being catagorized as either experimental or custom builds.

That would explain and go along with what they've said to you.
It may have been easy but it's not the NHTSA's procedure for full blown production.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And how many exactly have actually rolled out onto the highway?
EMV has ~26 out there and they're all one-offs.

Just sayin' man. I know it to be otherwise for full mass production.

Best guess is that the first few are still being catagorized as either experimental or custom builds.

That would explain and go along with what they've said to you.
It may have been easy but it's not the NHTSA's procedure for full blown production.
That was my comment to the A Team regarding the certification and the response I got back on 3 separate occasions is manufacturer certification is all that's required, but regardless I don't see any issues with the FUV meeting the compliance and certication requirements. The 50-100 Pilot FUVs will be rolling out early to mid 2018.......followed by the reservationist deliveries. I ass.u.me they have compliance covered.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That was my comment to the A Team regarding the certification and the response I got back on 3 separate occasions is manufacturer certification is all that's required...
For a manufacturer's custom builds. Yes, all true.
But before even those can cruise the highways and bi-ways...
They have to pass state inspection in the states they're being registered in...

That's why they also said to you that they will have the vehicles independently tested later "if it's required".

Bet on it. Ask the NHTSA.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For a manufacturer's custom builds. Yes, all true.
But before even those can cruise the highways and bi-ways...
They have to pass state inspection in the states they're being registered in...

That's why they also said to you that they will have the vehicles independently tested later "if it's required".

Bet on it. Ask the NHTSA.
Not a betting man. I can only ass.u.me the FUV was designed and engineered to certify whatever the process. The 50-100 Pilot FUVs and the reservationists FUVs will register and license without issue in 2018 if/when delivered. The A Team is smart enough to have their ducks in a row regarding compliance testing. I don't anticipate a glitch in the build and delivery process, but then again I felt the same way about EMV a couple short weeks ago.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can only ass.u.me the FUV was designed and engineered to certify whatever the process.
Yep. :D The only thing I'm wondering about is the cyclops light.
Though I have to admit that it should be easy to do stylishly.
Just look at how they did it on the slingshot.
You hardly even know it's there.

Even though the slingshot might have only had the array for just in case CYA...
And didn't really need it for compliance due to it's width and it being a side-by-side.

Maybe that big piece of checkered poly on the front of the FUV is a placeholder.
The first few electric Morgans only had one offset covered cyclops during Morgan vs. NHTSA.
Morgan had the places and brackets ready to instantly install the real things on the new vehicle though.

I have to admit that even a stylish cyclops would look more at home on the FUV than on the Solo.
Just because of the MC feel that the FUV projects as apposed to the car feel the Solo projects.

And the Sondors? Well, it IS wide and it IS a side-by-side.

Last edited:

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom