• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Is Elio Stock Trading For Today?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Amazon is smart enough to understand where the North America vehicle market is headed.

Here’s are some interesting data with regards to future light truck sales volume.

“In its annual "Car Wars" report, Bank of America Merrill Lynch forecasts that 71 percent of vehicle introductions in the 2019 through 2022 model years will be light trucks.”

"There's definitely further growth ahead," Jeff Schuster, president of LMC Automotive's Americas operation, said of pickups, SUVs and crossovers. He said trucks could account for 75 to 80 percent of U.S. light-vehicle sales by 2025.”

Plug-in pickups are a huge growth opportunity!

Can’t wait to own one!
But why are trucks selling? Could it be that they are the only vehicles with V8's? Some with V6's and not I4 with a turbo.
People don't want I4's with turbo's, the trucks are the only thing you can get with a real motor in it. They seat as many people as cars. People don't want little motors, memories of the past with turbo's, and people don't trust them.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Trucks are used to haul stuff. Sometimes you need HP to move a large load. The extended cab pickup with short bed is indeed more car than truck anymore. Expect EV pickups soon, but at high cost due to popular demand. They won't be cheap. People need vehicles like the Elio that they can afford. I am still hopeful.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But why are trucks selling? Could it be that they are the only vehicles with V8's? Some with V6's and not I4 with a turbo.
People don't want I4's with turbo's, the trucks are the only thing you can get with a real motor in it. They seat as many people as cars. People don't want little motors, memories of the past with turbo's, and people don't trust them.
In our 55+ community alone, residences own more trucks than cars. My next door neighbor who's pushing ninety can be seen more driving her V8 truck more than her Mercedes-Benz. I asked her why, and she said she feels "safer" in it. I don't think she even knows she's got the V8 engine or cared about horsepower. Big is still king and it'll remain that way until the government steps in and eliminate them completely in favor of smaller gas sipping cars or efficient EVs to save natural resources. And it's a common sights in freeways and highways where more and more trucks and SUVs can be seen spanking clean- to get to their regular work, not to haul stuff as intended.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last year, pickups from Ford, Chevy, and Ram were the top-three-selling vehicles in the US.
You also need to remember that about 35% of those sales are fleet. So, those numbers wouldn't look so good if fleet went with something else. In the end, pickups went the route of the Suburban. They jazzed it all up and opened up the audience that buys them. If pickups were just like we had in 1985, I suspect the numbers would be so hot today. The Big 3 figured out they could take that basic fleet/work truck and offer it with all the bells and whistles, thus it opened up the market. In the end, Pickups are so much better today due to the fierce competition. This is why you can buy a bone stock mid level F250 crew cab regular bed and hook up a 48' trailer and lost it with 15,000 lbs of cargo and travel the country with no modifications whatsoever. Even an F150 with the twin turbo V6 will tow around a big tag trailer with no special mods at all. Plus it tows while being really comfy. Revert back to 1985 and that was not the case.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suspect one reason she feels safer in the truck - is that she can see the road/traffic better by being up higher. She probably does feel better (more confident) driving the truck.

Hope I’m able to handle driving at 90... good for her!
I tell ya, when I see nothing but her knuckles at the steering wheel in that big truck, I stay clear of her way! Specially when she's got that turn signal on the whole time from when she got out of her driveway....and back! :D

Last edited:

Burg

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Amazon is smart enough to understand where the North America vehicle market is headed.

Here’s are some interesting data with regards to future light truck sales volume.

“In its annual "Car Wars" report, Bank of America Merrill Lynch forecasts that 71 percent of vehicle introductions in the 2019 through 2022 model years will be light trucks.”

"There's definitely further growth ahead," Jeff Schuster, president of LMC Automotive's Americas operation, said of pickups, SUVs and crossovers. He said trucks could account for 75 to 80 percent of U.S. light-vehicle sales by 2025.”

Plug-in pickups are a huge growth opportunity!

Can’t wait to own one!

I just read the article and I agree.

Its all about relevance. Each day Elio fails to produce a car it becomes less relevant. Each day an EV manufacture even plans a vehicle, it becomes more relevant. We all have to admit that so much time has passed and technology and economics have moved all over the place since the Elio was first introduced. The nation is shifting to EV’s at all levels. Like it or not, it’s here. We have tractor trailers coming, cars, and now light and medium duty trucks going EV. Why would Amazon invest in a truck that many don’t need and many (most) can’t even afford vs something like the Elio that many have already asked for? I think its relevance. Where does the Elio fit in these days? Because of my very long commute, the Elio is still an N+1 for me. The 800 lb gorilla in the room is how many of those 65K reservations will still need an Elio when it’s produced? My guess is most wont and there is evidence of this on this board. Many folks have purchased another +1 car because the Elio took so long, and in some part, not relevant anymore. The 2019 Leaf plus pretty much put the Elio to bed for me. The ONLY thing holding me back is charge time, and please, you don’t need to tell me about the price difference. That is why Amazon threw $700 million at a vehicle that most of us won’t get or be able to afford.

So Here we are at almost a year after the STO offering when Paul said(5/11/18), “this funding will take us all the way home. Remember, we are on a "Seventy Five week time line". Production will be starting soon! So If my Elio can carry me over the hump of shorter charge times, it may be worth it. :crazy:

Last edited:

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would still buy an Elio today if available. Hands down. Good chance I would buy two - just so I’d have drive time in the first one. Wouldn’t want to fight my wife and grown kids over the keys.

Could buy two Elios (maybe 3?) for the price of the cheapest electric car - and still have money left over for gas....

Top Bottom