• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheels & Tires

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've seen figures of 135 70 15 to 155 70 15 or about the size of a normal "doughnut" spare tire.

Keep in mind that a spare tire is made for a shorter distance and a higher load so it has cheaper tread, curved features and higher pressure (50 PSI) while the Elio tire will be a thicker fuller tread, more square profile and lower pressure (28-32? PSI).

I'm guessing steel for the rim for price and durability.

HonestTex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has any body seen what tire size is on the front and rear tire size is??
They said Cooper tires but never the size??
Does any one know ??
I guess the rims will be steel and not aluminum
Ok I also saw a post about the P5 not going on tour?
Saw the same post on the P5, don't know if it's true or not. The author didn't list a source. Haven't seen any info on rims anywhere.

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm more interested in the bolt pattern for the wheels, I'm hoping it will be the standard GM 5x4.75 which would lend itself to wheel and tire upgrades (?) (I use that term loosely)..I don't think it will take more that a few days for some to end up with 16 or 17 inch tires and wheels.. which will cut down acceleration but might help the mpg a bit.

I seem to recall that somewhere it was written (not the bible) that the front tires would be narrower than the rear.

saint451

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like for all 3 tires to be the same.
Buy a spare for the special trips or just have a spare at home. If all are the same. Will just carry for the most part...a slime kit!
I am sure that the tires are in the design for mpg, weight distribution, wear, weather, etc.
Last time I had a spare for a vehicle with the donut spare....never had to use it! But pep boys sells tires so they will have them, then walmart, then with "millions" of Elio's on the market, every tire shop will carry a few.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm more interested in the bolt pattern for the wheels, I'm hoping it will be the standard GM 5x4.75 which would lend itself to wheel and tire upgrades (?) (I use that term loosely)..I don't think it will take more that a few days for some to end up with 16 or 17 inch tires and wheels.. which will cut down acceleration but might help the mpg a bit.

I seem to recall that somewhere it was written (not the bible) that the front tires would be narrower than the rear.
Yes, all so, the front tires will be narrower than the one's you see on the car now. Engineering dictates the foot print of the rear tire be a certain percentage of the two front tires combined. That is why the rear tire will be bigger than the two front.:)

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

A 5x4.75 hub is WAY overkill for a car this light as much as I'd like the wheel options.(already have a few sets that would work actually) In Nashville the P4's hub was either a 4x100 or 4x108(didn't have anything but a plastic ruler to measure with b/c my micrometer was at home on the workbench.

Anyway here's a pic of the P4's rear lug nuts.
13977116944_6841a9c82b_z.jpg

And where the hub assembly mounts
13977733854_e2a1b883b3_z.jpg

Going any larger with the hub would also likely mean, an extra stud and lug nut, a larger rotor, larger than necessary bearings, as well as all the associated unsprung weight.

That said, having 4x100 or 4x108 hubs is fine with me. There are some great adaptors on the market these days for adapting overlapping lug patterns. I actually run one of my 5x120 sets of wheels on a 4x100 car on the track b/c 5x120 wheels are easier to find in wide widths.

7030881407_df6cf65f99_n.jpg

7030873799_38058c1e7a_n.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom