• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Design "freeze" Is Important To The Elio Project...

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to speak with Elio representative Jerome the other day. According to him there is not going to be a "P5" Elio. He explained that the final body configuration will be the same as the touring P4. They are planning on putting the new engine in the P4 and that is it. I do not know if the ABS, airbags, and what else that has been said are missing on the P4. But I was told the P4 body configuration is the final shape. I just thought that everyone would like to know this little bit of information.

By the way... Jerome is just as easy going on the phone as he seems in the videos. It was great to have the opportunity to speak with him.
But we know that there will be 2" additional headroom in the back. So are we to assume that the 2" is gained by lowering the rear seat brackets and that there will be no change to the body of the vehicle? I've heard both ways.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to speak with Elio representative Jerome the other day. According to him there is not going to be a "P5" Elio. He explained that the final body configuration will be the same as the touring P4. They are planning on putting the new engine in the P4 and that is it. I do not know if the ABS, airbags, and what else that has been said are missing on the P4. But I was told the P4 body configuration is the final shape. I just thought that everyone would like to know this little bit of information.

By the way... Jerome is just as easy going on the phone as he seems in the videos. It was great to have the opportunity to speak with him.

To clarify this a little what I understand is going to happen is that the P4 will essentially become the P5 or maybe just a P4+ :D. EM has been saying for a long time that the P4 body is pretty much the final body except for the grill opening which will be smaller. The P4 will be modified with the Elio/IAV drive-train and other tweaks which will make it much closer to the pre-production prototypes. This will allow EM to verify a few things before jumping straight into building the pre-production vehicles intended for crash and road testing. Doing it this way should allow Technosports to assemble the pre-production vehicles relatively quickly by building them a number of vehicles at a time using modules similar to what will be done on the assembly line.

Keep in mind that the Shreveport plant closing delay caused everything to be pushed back quite a while. The P4 was always intended to be the final prototype ahead of the pre-production prototype builds which is what will still end up happening however EM had a bit longer to tweak the design. This was a major point that had been just outside my realization for a long time until just recently when I began working on an outline of the Elio Motors timeline and it all began making more sense to me.

Jerome is really a great guy and I am glad more members are getting a chance to speak with him. :)

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
But we know that there will be 2" additional headroom in the back. So are we to assume that the 2" is gained by lowering the rear seat brackets and that there will be no change to the body of the vehicle? I've heard both ways.

Lowering the seat is the final answer. Raising the roof-line would negatively affect the aerodynamics which would hurt the MPG targets :).

Dallas B. Sims

Elio Fan
Reaction score

Thank you! This is great to know!

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm, lowering the seat. It is of course the simplest solution, thus keeping with the Elio ethos but it's not going to make my wife happy. She has a distinct dislike and almost fear of cars too low to the ground or even the perception of being too low to the ground. My solution? Don't tell her, she'll eventually notice but it'll be too late by that point! She may even get used to it... Or I could be the permanent passenger!

If Texas Elio is honestly trying to wrap a traditional automotive engineers mind around the concept of how Paul E is approaching car production and failing, that's something I can live with. If he/she (but really, we all know it's "he") is just being a troll well, his name is going in my book, now strike a line through it! (watch John Ford's "The Quite Man")

TexasElio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm, lowering the seat. It is of course the simplest solution, thus keeping with the Elio ethos but it's not going to make my wife happy. She has a distinct dislike and almost fear of cars too low to the ground or even the perception of being too low to the ground. My solution? Don't tell her, she'll eventually notice but it'll be too late by that point! She may even get used to it... Or I could be the permanent passenger!

If Texas Elio is honestly trying to wrap a traditional automotive engineers mind around the concept of how Paul E is approaching car production and failing, that's something I can live with. If he/she (but really, we all know it's "he") is just being a troll well, his name is going in my book, now strike a line through it! (watch John Ford's "The Quite Man")

I find it fascinating that members posting comments on this forum that question Paul Elio's abilty to bring a new vehicle concept to market are branded as trolls...but that's not an issue...I promise you...I've been called worse...LOL

As I study the Elio story...I have taken the time & effort to research every article that relates to Elio Motors that I can locate via the internet...including reviewing the various projects (and patents) that ESG engineering has undertaken...

My research conclude that Elio Motors can not truly be differentiated from any other automobile manufacturer...Elio is involved with same standardized component suppliers in the industry...and they'll have to meet the same government standards if they chose to adhere to the saftey goals that Mr Elio has laid out to his customers...and of course...the Elio business model of utilizing lean manufacturing principles is certainly not a new concept...

The automotive industry is a government regulated industry...the vehicle concepts may differ...but the Federal standards force a large measure of conformity...consumer's are well served by the stringent standards...vehicle's have become safer...more energy efficient...with increased reliability...

Additionally...there seem to be a lot of confusion as to the transportation category that the Elio Vehicle is being designed for...

Many on this forum see the Elio as an alternative to their motorcycle...while others view the Elio as an alternative to a traditional 4 wheel automobile...

My opinion is that Mr Elio has promised his customers a vehicle that meets automobile saftey standards...so the engineering goals are well beyond the complexity of a motorcycle...

At the end of the day...I'm unconvinced that the Elio Vehicle as it's current designed... will ever pass any real world saftey validation testing...and as a result...a full redesign of the Elio concept will result...assuming there's funding avaible to contuine this project...

2015 will be the pivotal year for the Elio story...

Last edited:

TexasElio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since you have come to your conclusion does this mean we will not hear from you until November? Fingers crossed. You can tell us then how stupid we are. Thanks for all your wisdom...........

If you'd like to join this discussion in a civilized manner...that would be great...

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I find it fascinating that members posting comments on this forum that question Paul Elio's abilty to bring a new vehicle concept to market are branded as trolls...but that's not an issue...I promise you...I've been called worse...LOL

As I study the Elio story...I have taken the time & effort to research every article that relates to Elio Motors that I can locate via the internet...including reviewing the various projects (and patents) that ESG engineering has undertaken...

My research conclude that Elio Motors can not truly be differentiated from any other automobile manufacturer...Elio is involved with same standardized component suppliers in the industry...and they'll have to meet the same government standards if they chose to adhere to the saftey goals that Mr Elio has laid out to his customers...and of course...the Elio business model of utilizing lean manufacturing principles is certainly not a new concept...

The automotive industry is a government regulated industry...the vehicle concepts may differ...but the Federal standards force a large measure of conformity...consumer's are well served by the stringent standards...vehicle's have become safer...more energy efficient...with increased reliability...

Additionally...there seem to be a lot of confusion as to the transportation category that the Elio Vehicle is being designed for...

Many on this forum see the Elio as an alternative to their motorcycle...while others view the Elio as an alternative to a traditional 4 wheel automobile...

My opinion is that Mr Elio has promised his customers a vehicle that meets automobile saftey standards...so the engineering goals are well beyond the complexity of a motorcycle...

At the end of the day...I'm unconvinced that the Elio Vehicle as it's current designed... will ever pass any real world saftey validation testing...and as a result...a full redesign of the Elio concept will result...assuming there's funding avaible to contuine this project...

2015 will be the pivotal year for the Elio story...

You have to realize that you come to a forum where the vast majority have both money and time invested and are very passionate. I have no issues with people that raise some question or have some doubts. I think the general feeling is that you have come on here to try to convince us all that we are fools for beleiving in Elio, much less putting money down on one. While I respect that you feel that way, as we are all entitled to our opinions, this seems like an ill fit to try to come here and convey that. I appreciate that you are respectfull with your words, where others in the past have failed, but the message is still the same.

TexasElio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You have to realize that you come to a forum where the vast majority have both money and time invested and are very passionate. I have no issues with people that raise some question or have some doubts. I think the general feeling is that you have come on here to try to convince us all that we are fools for beleiving in Elio, much less putting money down on one. While I respect that you feel that way, as we are all entitled to our opinions, this seems like an ill fit to try to come here and convey that. I appreciate that you are respectful with your words, where others in the past have failed, but the message is still the same.

I applaud & understand your passion...the Elio is a cool concept...but please remember this is a public forum...and you will never agree with all the posting...and I see no problem with that fact...

At the end of the day...I may be completely wrong with regards to my assessment of Elio Motors...and if so...I'll be the first to embrace that fact...

If the Elio Vehicle actually comes to market...I will own one!

Last edited:

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I applaud & understand your passion...the Elio is a cool concept...but please remember this is a public forum...and you will never agree with all the posting...and I see no problem with that...

I see no problem either. Simply trying to point out why there is some backlash (for lack of a better word) from your postings. But I sense that maybe you enjoy the attention and the debate.

Top Bottom