• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Your Elio Retain Its Resale Value?

HeR3tic

Elio Fan
Reaction score
quite frankly I havnt purchased a new vehicle since 1985. I drive everything til the cost of repairs exceed
cost of used up-grading. I expect the 6800 expenditure will be easily surpassed by the savings in transportation costs, of alternative vehicles, well past the warranty. In the mean time both my 1996 and 1999 Rivieras remain in pristine low mileage condition.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if after the first year or two, the cost of a new Elio will increase considerably. If the popularity of the vehicle is as good as they hope, they will be able to up the price (I suspect they will have to do this in order to remain solvent).

This will reflect in the cost of used ones! I think the quoted price is nothing short of highly optimistic and good on Elio if they bring it off! I've built kit cars for myself and know the true cost of doing so even when using old technology, used or reconditioned parts and my own labour.

Thankfully, my latest kit car has increased in value over the last twelve years since I built it, due to the great success of the marque in the amateur trialling competition world and the fact that there are only sixty of them. What my wife saw as a money pit of a hobby has given us great enjoyment and has proved to be a bit of an investment. I'll certainly never have trouble selling it on, not that I will, especially as it carries the name of my daughter, so I'd never be allowed!

But as with most things we buy, supply and demand determines the price.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if after the first year or two, the cost of a new Elio will increase considerably. If the popularity of the vehicle is as good as they hope, they will be able to up the price (I suspect they will have to do this in order to remain solvent).

This will reflect in the cost of used ones! I think the quoted price is nothing short of highly optimistic and good on Elio if they bring it off! I've built kit cars for myself and know the true cost of doing so even when using old technology, used or reconditioned parts and my own labour.

Thankfully, my latest kit car has increased in value over the last twelve years since I built it, due to the great success of the marque in the amateur trialling competition world and the fact that there are only sixty of them. What my wife saw as a money pit of a hobby has given us great enjoyment and has proved to be a bit of an investment. I'll certainly never have trouble selling it on, not that I will, especially as it carries the name of my daughter, so I'd never be allowed!

But as with most things we buy, supply and demand determines the price.
Kit cars aren't massed produced which typically reflects higher cost parts. Elio's business model is low, fair pricing based on a high demand, mass produced commuter with a pre-determined profit margin. That business model on which Elio is founded should not change because demand is greater than expected after the first couple years. The base price may lower because of super high demand and an ultra efficient Elio megafactory.......and world wide
marketing strategy........with Elio Stores in the UK.

Last edited:

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Kit cars aren't massed produced which typically reflects higher cost parts. Elio's business model is low, fair pricing based on a high demand, mass produced commuter with a pre-determined profit margin. That business model on which Elio is founded should not change because demand is greater than expected after the first couple years. The base price may lower because of super high demand and an ultra efficient Elio megafactory.......and world wide
marketing strategy........with Elio Stores in the UK.

Rickb, I know kit cars are not mass produced, that's what it's all about! But in my experience - built a couple of them from scratch and bought/restored/sold others, kit car parts do often come free of charge or at extremely low cost because otherwise they have only scrap metal value. My latest "new" engine cost me £180, or about $287. I'm fairly sure Paul Elio won't be able to match that (although he has the same engine in his prototypes).

I posted what I did because I was trying to sound totally positive about the Elio (others have recently incorrectly alluded that I have said otherwise)....but by that logic you're saying that used examples probably won't hold their value. However, I'm trying to think of an actual example of a car manufacturer reducing prices after a couple of years on a car that has sold like hot cakes -.perhaps you can tell me who has done this?

If that's the case, the people who opted in mainly for reasons of ultra low purchase cost might have to keep it because no-one will want a used model. Or you take a very big hit on depreciation, which is where most of the practical cost of owning a modern, reliable vehicle comes from.

samwichse

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just hope someone will produce a Blackjack Zero or Morgan type kit for the Elio once it gets going. Having the Elio already ready to go and just removing the shell and chopping the frame would be way easier and cheaper than the total from-scratch kits.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If ELIO number 8019 is produced it will be mine. The granddaughter will likely use it until another arrives for her. But 8019 will be mine.
It will stay here until I am gone. Like my 1996 EVO FB it will be pasted on not sold..
I had a 1977 Pacer Yellow and white. Cheap car served me well when I needed it.

Top Bottom