• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Window Tints

Ausrere

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Might be a loop hole on this, but it's NOT a car so the tint laws may not apply... but you would be asking for trouble if you tint the front glass..... I will be tinting the windows but I am going to play it safe and stick to the book on mine.

It's been a long time since I went through the Transportation Code, but it used to be that in Texas you could not tint the windshield on a motorcycle if it was so equipped either. I've seen a couple of Troopers give tickets for it in years past. The tint laws in this state just say, "No installer or business shall apply or affix to the windows of any motor vehicle in this state a sunscreening device that is not in compliance with requirements of this section." A motorcycle is a motor vehicle under our laws (which basically means any self-propelled vehicle designed to drive on the roads), so I think the same tint laws would apply to the Elio in Texas whether it is considered a motorcycle or a car. But, like I said, I haven't dissected the vehicle code in a very long time. ;)

Having said that, mine will be tinted on the two side windows as dark as I can get away with without a ticket. lol

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I went through the Transportation Code, but it used to be that in Texas you could not tint the windshield on a motorcycle if it was so equipped either. I've seen a couple of Troopers give tickets for it in years past. The tint laws in this state just say, "No installer or business shall apply or affix to the windows of any motor vehicle in this state a sunscreening device that is not in compliance with requirements of this section." A motorcycle is a motor vehicle under our laws (which basically means any self-propelled vehicle designed to drive on the roads), so I think the same tint laws would apply to the Elio in Texas whether it is considered a motorcycle or a car. But, like I said, I haven't dissected the vehicle code in a very long time. ;)

Having said that, mine will be tinted on the two side windows as dark as I can get away with without a ticket. lol
According to Title 75 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code Section 4524(e)(1) related to Sunscreening and other materials prohibited it states that No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the winshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle. Subsection(2) this subsection does not apply to: (1) A vehicle which is equipped with tinted windows of the type and specification that were installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle or to any hearse,ambulance,government vehicle or any other vehicle for which a current valid certificate of exemption has been issued in accordance with regulations adopted by the department.

Yea looks like I can't claim "motorcycle" and expect to get a break..

Oldfarmer

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seeing as to how this is a 'motorcycle' I wonder if window tinting laws affect it. In the pictures the windows look pretty dark. NC has some pretty strict laws and troopers can use a meter to see how much light passes through.
Another reason I was thinking about this is because of NC's helmet law. Figuring I'd keep one of those Harley style half helmets nearby and plunk it on my head if I get pulled....(although I haven't been ticketed, in a wreck or stopped since I got my license over 40 years ago. I have a CDL, do a lot of driving and drive a school bus full time). Just lucky I reckon...

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll be getting a heat blocking clear tint. However I won't be wearing a helmet, if I get ticketed then it's lawyer time.
For the price of a lawyer we could buy an Escalade. I'll manufacture a light unobtrusive styrofoam or inflatable head set for your cell phone that looks like a helmet.

P.S. the cool tint idea is cool. No.........really..........I mean really super cool Idea.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

From - http://www.firstcoastglasscoatings.com/window-tint-windshield.html

"Currently the only film you can use to meet federal laws for the front windshield is Crystalline 90%. All newer cars have a very light tint to the windshield, usually 77% to 80%. If you put anything darker than 90% you will not meet federal laws.
Crystalline 90 does not change the look of the windshield and will not affect visibility in or out. Crystalline 90 is the film we recommend for front windshields and is almost clear and virtually undetectable. It is also DOT legal to have on your front windshield. 3M Crystalline is currently the most advanced window tint on the market."

I don't know about the state laws, but if the film is as clear as they say, and reflects the UVs as advertised, I'm going to take my chances and get something like this stuff put on.

Top Bottom