• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Dangers Ahead??

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It looks like sidepipes are the only way to get duals on it!
as bill lear told the design team on the lear fan. add anything u like as long as it reduces weight. same priciple applies to anything that flys or gets good gas mileage. duals on a 3cyl engine?

Reactions: HHH

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah. Jardine rumblers, V&H short shots or Cobra shotguns.
You'll sound like the voice of God downshifting that 5-speed as you come down the hill into town.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
...which makes me wonder about the routing of the exhaust pipe and muffler placement. might get a tad busy under that narrow floorboard.

On the P4 the exhaust runs diagonally under the drivers seat to where it exits on the right side. This is roughly the expected final position however in the production model the exhaust should be integrated better so it does not hang below the car which should help with aerodynamics and to protect the exhaust from damage.
elio4_front_line_art.jpg

elio_mule4_side_drwg_small.jpg

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the P4 the exhaust runs diagonally under the drivers seat to where it exits on the right side. This is roughly the expected final position however in the production model the exhaust should be integrated better so it does not hang below the car which should help with aerodynamics and to protect the exhaust from damage.
Those are some very specific images you've got, thanks :-)

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
as bill lear told the design team on the lear fan. add anything u like as long as it reduces weight. same priciple applies to anything that flys or gets good gas mileage. duals on a 3cyl engine?

Unless Bill is buying the Elio for me, I guess I can do what I want, right?

My bike didn't need big bore, cams, aftermarket wheels, paint, etc. But I find stock to be boring and I like to personalize and modify. My money, my toys...

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Somebody wrote earlier on that being light it would bounce off other vehicles. Might be something to that. I once ran a AMC Gremlin in a demo and came in third. It bounced off instead of getting crunched
WELCOME to our humble Elio Family, Vern! Relatively speaking, we are small. . . . . . , but with folks like you joining us, we are growing at warp speed!

Actually, we are currently growing at speeds FASTER than Paul Elio can produce the Elio!!!!!
image.jpg

Last edited:

moby3

Reaction score
Elio Motors has a team working on the legal issues in each state and is working on addressing them as necessary. This team is led by the EM Government Affairs VP, Joel Sheltrown, and he maintains a list of any legal issues or hurdles Elio Motors faces in every state.

I have also reviewed what FL says and it actually does not say that if the bill of sale says it is a motorcycle then it can not be registered. The law defines what FL considers to be autocycles, which FL labels Tri-vehicles. Trikes which do not meet these standards are generally considered three-wheel motorcycles and are instead registered as such. The Elio would however qualify as a Tri-vehicle and not as a three wheel motorcycle.

Where the confusion appears to stem from is that FL DMV regulations state that "Only NHTSA-approved tri-vehicles from authorized manufacturers, importers, and distributors may be titled and registered". This is actually fairly strightfoward even if it sounds confusing as we already know that the NHTSA considers all powered three wheeled vehicles to be motorcycles. As such all NHTSA approved tri-vehicles have a motorcycle VIN and are sold as motorcycles regardless of how the state of FL chooses to classify them as Tri-vehicles.

By the way you can read about this here: http://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/TL/TL-67.PDF
To add to your post: I owned and drove a Pulse Autocycle in Florida for 5 years. It was registered as a motorcycle. I know of at least 4 other Pulses in Florida right now. A Pulse has 2 wheels on center line and 2 outrigger wheels, one on each side. Since only one outrigger is in contact with the road at any time it is considered a 3 wheel motorcycle. So Florida will register 3 wheel motorcycles. As far as Florida allowing only authorized manufacturers to title and register vehicles , I know of several vehicles 4 wheel vehicles and trikes that were built completely from scratch that had no manufacturer except the builder and Florida titled and registered them.

Top Bottom