• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Fire Side Chat With Paul - 9 Sept

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here are my notes from the Fireside Chat. Where quotation marks are used, they're very close to verbatim. Otherwise, I'm paraphrasing, but sticking as close as possible to what was actually said.

Notes from Fireside Chat, 9/9/2015

Paul opened by saying crowd funding was a terrific tool, because “when you’re pre-revenue, there’s a fuse, and it’s lit!’

Regarding the video on the SE website — “The Board loved it. When they saw their part in this, they got excited.” Stu Lichtenberger in particular was moved.

Q: What happens next? What are the milestones?
A: “We’ve taken the design as far as we can in computer simulations. Now we have to test in metal. After that, we order tooling, and when it comes in, we set up the rest of it.”

Q: What are the demographics of the Elio?
A: “People don’t like me to say this, but really, it’s E for Everyone. What’s the demographic of Coke?” “Another big market is the clunker crowd. There are over 95 million cars more than 10 years old and getting less than 27 miles per gallon. Those are the clunkers. The credit card plan is for those folks. Who would want a clunker, when they can buy a new car for basically what they’re paying in gas now?”

Q: How important is crowd funding in the future?
A: “I think crowd funding is a seismic shift in the American economy.”

Paul said 31 out of the company’s 34 supplier partners attended the last Supplier Summit — amazing, considering they’re all under pressure to deliver parts to much bigger customers than Elio. Crowd funding helped with that, because it helped show that yes, this is a viable project.

Q: What’s the status of the P5? Will it have a new engine or was the engine “spared” and not tested to destruction last March?
A: EM actually build two engines to the same exact design. One was tested, though not to destruction (it was disassembled and all wear closely measured.) The second engine is being assembled from the second set of parts specifically for the P5. It is not the final production engine.

Q: What’s your vision for the company’s long term-success? Will you have electric motors, or other power plants?
A: “There are three acts for Elio. Act One is to satisfy U.S. demand. Act II is to fill global demand. Act II is alternative power plants.

Q: Will you support autonomous, self-driving vehicles?
A: Eventually, Elio Motors will work with developers of autonomous driving systems. The Elio is designed to be a constant platform which will link with all sorts of options, electronics, and modifications such as autonomous driving systems. We’ll let the market tell us which one is best.

Q: What are the additional paths for funding Elio Motors into production? (paraphrased)
A: (paraphrase) There are three paths: 1. ATVM loan application for $186 million. 2. Crowd funding. 3. Ongoing reservations for the car. These three will get us there. But you don’t want all your eggs in one basket for something this size, “so there are two additional independent paths if one of these three doesn’t come through, but in this venue I don’t have time to explain them all.”

Q: (From Lilly May Patterson): How’s your health? Are you eating enough?
A: “Like I told my mom every time I came home to Phoenix, Mom, if I lost two pounds every trip home, I’d be 50 pounds lighter in 25 years. You forget I’m naturally skinny.” So yes, I’m eating enough, and I’m fine.

Paul Elio fireside chat #1.jpg

The stained coffee cup looked even worse in close-ups. grrr.

Top Bottom