• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

For Those Who Think Ev Information Is Appropriate For An Elio Forum...

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think EV information is appropriate here. I think it shows how much more viable ICE cars are for the foreseeable future. Tesla reported earnings this week. They were expected to ONLY lose $2.25 per share. They actually lost $2.92 per share. Stock tanked.

I'm not sure how that shows ICE are more viable...

Several large auto-manufacturers had to be bailed out by the US taxpayer...does that indicate that ICE vehicles aren't viable?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think EV information is appropriate here. I think it shows how much more viable ICE cars are for the foreseeable future. Tesla reported earnings this week. They were expected to ONLY lose $2.25 per share. They actually lost $2.92 per share. Stock tanked.
Stock tanked? Quote from a Street article:
IMG_9255.jpg

Donnyboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It just shows how hard it is for EV's to compete with ICE's. Even with all the subsidies, loans, incentives, and massive tax credits, the best EV manufacturer on the planet is still losing money. And not just a little bit of money. ALOT.

Several large auto-manufacturers had to be bailed out by the US taxpayer...does that indicate that ICE vehicles aren't viable?

GM and Chrysler took the government bailout. Ford did not. And the main reason they fell on hard times was the greedy pension plans they supported coupled with a collapse in the economy not seen since the 1930's.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Stock tanked? Quote from a Street article:
View attachment 22173
Tesla finished out the day at $306.01.
It seems like that the failure of Tesla is a good thing. I don't understand the logic in that. If you are a fan of American made and American jobs, you'd want them to succeed just like Elio. Tesla employs about 30K people and it would be a shame to see them fail. What we need is for both to succeed, not one to fail so the other can prosper. That's a net loss for the American economy. Nobody want's that.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It just shows how hard it is for EV's to compete with ICE's. Even with all the subsidies, loans, incentives, and massive tax credits, the best EV manufacturer on the planet is still losing money. And not just a little bit of money. ALOT.

GM and Chrysler took the government bailout. Ford did not. And the main reason they fell on hard times was the greedy pension plans they supported coupled with a collapse in the economy not seen since the 1930's.

Ford received almost $6 billion from the Govt. just before the bailout of other manufactures, which they still haven't paid back. That's why they didn't require the "bailout" that others did.

I'm not sure you can look at a single company, one that didn't even exist 10 years ago, and extrapolate any meaningful information on an entire industry/technology.

Tesla is losing money because they're attempting to build 500k EVs/yr, which is more than 5x their previous yearly production, and requires a factory that outputs more Li-Ion batteries than is produced globally. It's a cost intensive gambit, and one that will take time to generate profit. This does not mean it's not currently viable. Car manufacturing is capital intensive, always has been, and always will be.

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ford received almost $6 billion from the Govt. just before the bailout of other manufactures, which they still haven't paid back. That's why they didn't require the "bailout" that others did.

I'm not sure you can look at a single company, one that didn't even exist 10 years ago, and extrapolate any meaningful information on an entire industry/technology.

Tesla is losing money because they're attempting to build 500k EVs/yr, which is more than 5x their previous yearly production, and requires a factory that outputs more Li-Ion batteries than is produced globally. It's a cost intensive gambit, and one that will take time to generate profit. This does not mean it's not currently viable. Car manufacturing is capital intensive, always has been, and always will be.
Lots of headwind for TSLA going forward, there's many problems politically for EV tax credits, cobalt scarcity and subsequent higher cost(serious problem), exponentially higher costs of scaling up production, etc.

On the other hand... gasoline from algae will be a win for Elio, ICE in general, Exxon and the Environment... EV tax credit elimination another win for Elio...higher gas prices on the horizon another win for Elio...ELIO credit card's unique financing... triple your gas bill...will work well coupled with those future higher pump prices...another win for Elio. A true synergy of recent events.

EV will be a small niche for TSLA, a smaller niche for Dubuque et al, and a sliver for EV 3 wheelers. Don't believe it, just watch. Western Europe is where the EVs will be wanted and subsidized until at least 2021... shipping costs will be substantial. Would revisit the EV trikes in about 5 years. I want the USA to lead the EV trikes revolution...but I can't afford to lose that much. Reality bites sometimes...just have to deal with it. Of course, I would have done just the opposite if Hillary had won...sold ELIO and bought more TSLA & whatever the NASDAQ tradable EV trike is. Anyone else hear the $50 share price prediction for TSLA on CNBC yesterday or today? Can't remember who said it. Details from anyone who knows...do say.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lots of headwind for TSLA going forward, there's many problems politically for EV credits, cobalt cost. Gasoline from algae will be a win for the ICE, Exxon and the environment. EV will be a tiny niche for TSLA, a microscopic niche for Dubuque et al, and a nonexistent niche for EV 3 wheelers. Don't believe it, just watch. Western Europe is where the EVs will be wanted and subsidized until at least 2021. Would revisit the EV trikes in about 5 years. I want the USA to lead the EV trikes revolution...but I can't afford to lose that much. Reality bites sometimes...just have to deal with it.
Reality? :)

Top Bottom