• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

How Did You Learn About Elio?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, it's the headlights. The UK regs say a maximum of 400mm from the outer extreme of the vehicle. I think they mean the centre of the lamp, ie the bulb. The P3 looked OK, the P4 not. I think it would be a great shame if Elio denied themselves the UK and probably the European market because of this issue.
There is the option of possibly mounting an aftermarket headlight kit......hot rod or motorcycle cool!
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure it would be easy to put a wing out to the side with a headlight at the end. If more than a few dozen people seek it, an importer will surely do it.

I had thought of something like that and could probably make something myself (hint: take a look at the car in my Avatatar, it's the one I built and own), but I'd prefer it to be something like the P3. There are other rules to consider, such as the minimum radius rule. Even a screw head of the wrong type can cause a fail of the IVA test.

Also, once things are hung out in the breeze the mpg advantages start to be nibbled away.

Last edited:

tim brown

Reaction score
a couple years ago i was checking some websites that sold cheap scooters, saw among them a horrible little chinese 3 wheel death trap. single wheel was front with body perched over it, looked like just getting in would tip it, searched some anyway & found out they had fudged the numbers to get it approved for sale here. tried a search on 3 wheelers in general & found that someone was really trying to get it right, been following them since, went all in just before bonus dead line, like so many others.

R

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Heard about the idea late 2008 and tried to check on it a few times until work and family got me so busy........after the kids took ownership of 2 out of my 3 roadsters and about to loose the third roadster to the youngest if/when he gets his license, revisited Elio and saw the P3 last year and went all in after they started getting the helmet exceptions from various states. It was still considered a gamble investment idea with a possible return which was something to look forward to. I had lost a few on the money market in the past and this would not be any different except for the 4 key points that Paul Elio had me sold on.

"MADE IN USA" this is long due in so many aspects....have faith and support an American dream

And if I loose, it was a gamble that was worth taking....

Charles Stanley

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
My first notice of the Elio came only a month ago. i use Yahoo for email. If I'm not mistaken it was one of those news articles that tend to be lurking on the side. When I saw it I immediately clicked on it. Then it is as if I lost all consciousness of where I was. I was totally engrossed in finding out everything I could about the Elio. It is my nature to enjoy learning about or using technology. I'm into laser technology, engineering, science, ...etc. I am still surprised that I was not aware of the Elio before last month. It makes no sense that things could have gotten this far and I did not know about it. My first thoughts were wow this is great but there have been many game changing idea vehicles that were a pop and flash in the news. Many companies have started with some new three wheel, electric, ...etc. idea only to go so far and fail. Perhaps it is best I did not know about the Elio before. I'm optimistic but skeptical. If I had known about the Elio a year or two ago, i doubt I'd have placed a reservation on one. Not because I would not have wanted to, but because at that time I'm not sure that there would have been enough to convince me that this is actually going to get to market. A month ago I looked into the background so far. Then looked at the number of reservations, the massive engineering and design done by the engine designer, the fact that they have already bought the GM plant in Shreveport, and that they have so many well known established parts suppliers on board. There is no way anyone would have moved this far if they did not intend to bring this to the people for real. So there is my story. Except for the money part. I'm retired and bored. Some time ago I bought a large Laser engraver to use as a hobby. It was fun and many people liked the custom things I made for them. But it was not keeping me busy. I had decided to sell the equipment and use the money for something else fun. I found the Elio a few days later. The engraver sold quickly and I immediately put down the All-In $1K. The rest of the money was put aside to pay for the Elio. It should pay 95% of my purchase depending on the options. By the timer my Elio is ready for me I'll easily have the rest saved. but i still have the boredom problem. I'm thinking I'll find a job and then I'll not be so bored and will have extra money too. Thanks for the question. hope someone got something from my story. :)

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw it online somewhere a year ago, thought it was an intriguing gadget, nothing more. I heard about it again earlier this summer and read up on it and my wife and I went to see it. She wanted to get in and see if it would really work, as far as space goes. She was satisfied and we went in a fair amount "all in", not the full 1k, it was what we could afford!

Keith Dahl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've notice that many people have been following elio for awhile. I learned about it when it popped up on my facebook a few months ago and have been reading alot of the post to learn more. So I was wondering how eveyone else learned about it.
I honestly cant remember where I heard about it. I think it may have been on a regional radio talk show hosted by Mr. Lars Larson who had Mr. Elio on his show. the show is on KXL in Portland Oregon. He also does a national show and is a frequent guest on fox news. but actually now that I think more..I think I heard of it before that. why is my brain disintegrating?

Top Bottom