• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

L.a. Auto Show 2016

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another great thread bites the dust, I've seen multiple videos of up to 30 minute test drive reviews by enthused drivers of the P5 and even the P4. The E1c is vastly superior to it's predecessor's lower bar. Kind of like comparing a 1949 VW Bug to it's modern version I'd say... neither version lacked for popular demand. Rain on my parade now like Tesla doubters did before...what a waste of time and potential. Luckily we'll see soon the excitement generated by the Black Beauty!!!
I assume that may be the case, but the point was EM shouldn't let Jay Leno drive and review the E1c until the E1c is tested and validated.
My first car a '59 Black VW Bug.

Last edited:

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a few notes from my observations:
-LED headlights: Looks great!...BUT, they will need to add a yellow reflector like the P5 has, its a DOT requirement. (plus this still doesn't address the whole headlight distance/center headlights)
-Interior is looking very production ready, like the updated steering wheel and gauges. Interested to know more about that buttons on the right.
-Rear "trunk" now has a prop rod instead of a strut (maybe to cut cost or a little weight) but yeah, hope they can integrate the rod more straight into the plastic to prevent breaking off the yellow clip.
-Suspension looks a little refined, hopefully for a smoother ride
-The front wheel covers look a little higher off the ground from previous models. Hopefully this will help in the curb parking (see pics below)
images.jpg

index.jpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it shouldn't be too hard to patch in a toggle switch that could cut off the power to the lights
The old Chevy trucks had daytime running lights (well, one of them was always burned out... on every truck) that you could turn off by pressing the parking brake in one click or more. Of course, you don't want to hit that while driving just in case you hit it harder than expected but still... While in park and the emergency brake on, they wanted the lights to be off. I used the one-click method when entering the base so I wouldn't be blinding any guards. Maybe the Elio will have the same type of thing.

Also of note: Motorcycles are required to have a headlight on all the time. Depending on the state, Elio might also have that requirement.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As posted on Elio Motors Facebook page:

"Richard Maynard: I just got back from the LA auto show and from the Elio pavilion there with some interesting information ! First of all the Licorice E1C has the analog instrument gauges and will be standard, gone are the Elgin dash as per an Elio rep at the show. The Elgin dash was getting an overwhelming negative feedback from us to Elio. Also while talking to the same Elio rep is that Elio can make a go on production without the Government loan if need be because of the sales from Elio stock . And lastly, the E1C body panels were not made of the stamped steel but of the original plastic body panels as all of the previous P and E models. The E 1C is not only looking great but the chances of financing this vehicle is sounding very promising."

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Roger W on Facebook is ranting on and on about how the P5 didn't have an engine when it was recently displayed, all hot and bothered with conspiracy theories about it. Perhaps EM transferred that engine to the E1c so they could drive it into the exhibit, which might explain why the E1c seems to have the older engine rather than the newer one shown with the E1a.

Of course, if that were true, it would raise a separate question about why there wasn't another engine to put into the E1c. I'm sure there's a good explanation for that; I really don't care, I just want them to build more and more until we get to actual production.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Roger W on Facebook is ranting on and on about how the P5 didn't have an engine when it was recently displayed, all hot and bothered with conspiracy theories about it. Perhaps EM transferred that engine to the E1c so they could drive it into the exhibit, which might explain why the E1c seems to have the older engine rather than the newer one shown with the E1a.

Of course, if that were true, it would raise a separate question about why there wasn't another engine to put into the E1c. I'm sure there's a good explanation for that; I really don't care, I just want them to build more and more until we get to actual production.
Maybe because EM only HAS two engines?

E1-A engine...

img_6884-jpg.11802.jpg

E1-C engine...

img_7681-jpg.11803.jpg

Older picture of the P5 engine...

eliop5engine.jpg

Last edited:

Officespaced

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Someone mentioned that they did see a headlight switch in the Elio.
If you look closely at the stalk on the left side of the column, it controls the Cruise Control, the Wipers, the turn signals and the High Beams.
Just like a motorcycle, the Elio lights will always be on; so there's really no need for a headlight switch.
How many bikes have one?

And while we've seen that the Elio will have LCD headlights.
Audi bringing the new Laser Headlights
These are very cool

The switch to the right of "Eco" button (only on automatics) is the light switch according to Elio rep @ show

Officespaced

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting, the rep in the background says regarding the stereo at 3:53 "It comes standard with the bluetooth stereo with auxiliary port and usb port for plug and play too". So I really hope the USB port is indeed for audio input and not just power.

Radio looked pretty cheap, very limited display capability

Top Bottom