• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

L.a. Auto Show 2016

Officespaced

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Federal requirements. And before someone says, "yes... but... but... but..."
You have to look close because sometimes the rear side facing reflector is built into the taillight assembly on some bikes.

My 250 Virago for example...

View attachment 11844

I'm going to swap for dual circuit white side reflectors that light up (and blink brighter) amber and red respectively on my 650, because it looks cool against all that chrome when parked. I've got stock amber running/turns in front and turns in back but I've got chrome mirror lenses on them. They have a chrome mirror finish when not lit. You can see them in the above picture of the Virago.

I've been able to get the running/turns through inspection every year even though they don't meet requirements. I seriously doubt if my local shop will let the powered (clear when off) side reflectors pass. I'll probably have to install them with disconnects so that I can switch them back for inspection every year.

I don't think this will be a big issue for the Elio. They did say that it's 80% production didn't they?
So that's just one of the things that are in the 20% of unfinished business.
Elio Marketing needs a revamp at shows. This is one of the biggest auto shows of the year and Elio tucks themselves away behind an insurance carrier (State Farm), nowhere to be found on either of the two main show floors. So much for building excitement in the brand. Elio staff is friendly enough, but provided conflicting information about almost everything. Almost everyone I talked to or overheard was already an Elio fan. The display did little to garner new fans, which is sorely needed. Who's running this road show? Get your people on the same page at least! Amazon's presence pushing "The Grand Tour" was everywhere in public places and they don't even have a car, just a streaming TV show! Even Polaris had four Slingshots right in the main lobby and product placement is keen. The Polaris booth was busy every time I walked past, which was several times. Didn't hurt, they have a Slingshot giveaway... Despite having a showing @ LA, average new reservations since the E1c reveal have actually tumbled, just 111 last week... About the only presence sadder than Elio was the SmartCar area. Virtually no one looking, despite being in main showroom.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Marketing needs a revamp at shows. This is one of the biggest auto shows of the year and Elio tucks themselves away behind an insurance carrier (State Farm), nowhere to be found on either of the two main show floors. So much for building excitement in the brand. Elio staff is friendly enough, but provided conflicting information about almost everything. Almost everyone I talked to or overheard was already an Elio fan. The display did little to garner new fans, which is sorely needed. Who's running this road show? Get your people on the same page at least! Amazon's presence pushing "The Grand Tour" was everywhere in public places and they don't even have a car, just a streaming TV show! Even Polaris had four Slingshots right in the main lobby and product placement is keen. The Polaris booth was busy every time I walked past, which was several times. Didn't hurt, they have a Slingshot giveaway... Despite having a showing @ LA, average new reservations since the E1c reveal have actually tumbled, just 111 last week... About the only presence sadder than Elio was the SmartCar area. Virtually no one looking, despite being in main showroom.
Thanks for posting your review and opinion based on your first hand experience of being there.

Officespaced

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Marketing needs a revamp at shows. This is one of the biggest auto shows of the year and Elio tucks themselves away behind an insurance carrier (State Farm), nowhere to be found on either of the two main show floors. So much for building excitement in the brand. Elio staff is friendly enough, but provided conflicting information about almost everything. Almost everyone I talked to or overheard was already an Elio fan. The display did little to garner new fans, which is sorely needed. Who's running this road show? Get your people on the same page at least! Amazon's presence pushing "The Grand Tour" was everywhere in public places and they don't even have a car, just a streaming TV show! Even Polaris had four Slingshots right in the main lobby and product placement is keen. The Polaris booth was busy every time I walked past, which was several times. Didn't hurt, they have a Slingshot giveaway... Despite having a showing @ LA, average new reservations since the reveal have actually tumbled, just 111 last week...
Bottom line...The space location in probably dictated by the owners of the convention. Heavy emp. on CARS.[/QUOT
Umm, no- it's about money mostly- book a booth in almost any place

Officespaced

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your review and opinion based on your first hand experience of being there.
Thank you! I'm torn... The product has definately moved forward engineering-wise since I first started following them in 2010. I'm in Phoenix! They garnered initial local coverage... However, none of the staff comments regarding production dates beyond "we hope", "should start" at the end of 2017 made me more confident it will come to pass. They are desperate for coin, but hey, let's continue to pay Paul and three other associates $250K+ each for no product since 2009. That's quite a bit more than the average CEO salary mind you.... Now that they are a public company, albiet, pink sheets, under far more scrutiny and restrictions.

Officespaced

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! I'm torn... The product has definately moved forward engineering-wise since I first started following them in 2010. I'm in Phoenix! They garnered initial local coverage... However, none of the staff comments regarding production dates beyond "we hope", "should start" at the end of 2017 made me more confident it will come to pass. They are desperate for coin, but hey, let's continue to pay Paul and three other associates $250K+ each for no product since 2009. That's quite a bit more than the average CEO salary mind you.... Now that they are a public company, albiet, pink sheets, under far more scrutiny and restrictions.
Keep in mind, if end of 2017, that's for the initial 100 run to fleet buyer(s). You're not getting yours until well into 2018..

NorTracNY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well if they miss their Q3 stated goal of "Plan to sell 100 pre-production vehicles in Q3 2017" that's going to hurt the stock price. I'm still seeing March/April being the tipping point. Elio can't drag "customers" forever.

Top Bottom