• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

L.a. Auto Show 2016

Officespaced

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a few notes from my observations:
-LED headlights: Looks great!...BUT, they will need to add a yellow reflector like the P5 has, its a DOT requirement. (plus this still doesn't address the whole headlight distance/center headlights)
-Interior is looking very production ready, like the updated steering wheel and gauges. Interested to know more about that buttons on the right.
-Rear "trunk" now has a prop rod instead of a strut (maybe to cut cost or a little weight) but yeah, hope they can integrate the rod more straight into the plastic to prevent breaking off the yellow clip.
-Suspension looks a little refined, hopefully for a smoother ride
-The front wheel covers look a little higher off the ground from previous models. Hopefully this will help in the curb parking (see pics below)View attachment 11835
View attachment 11836
- No Yellow reflector needed. New led light projects amber color, but lense is clear. May have been DOT requirement, but you see newer cars without an amber lense- Lexus SC500, Infiniti Q60...
- Suspension did indeed look refined and more substantial around front wheels.
- Interior is near complete-. Gauges in E1C are the final version, no Elgin. Seat in E1C was cloth Lear, but Hyundai Dymo leather option (red) on display next to P5. No pricing on leather upgrade as of yet. They weren't letting people sit in the back seat. Leather option only for the front seat.
-"Viper" steering wheel design is final.
-Was told trunk pops were not finalized, will likely have traditional release mechanism.
-Body panels are almost all steel-stamped. Exceptions include nose cone, back ribbed panels and wheel coverings. Those are composite.
-Very non-committal on production dates even for 4th Qtr 2017, no progress on ATVM loan, secondary offering or other possible financial influx
- Booth was not very visible. Was tucked behind State Farm booth between West and Main show floor passage. Had a lot of traffic on my first pass, but two subequent passes, it was completely dead.

Last edited:

Officespaced

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Also at the L.A. Show; Jaguar has their new concept EV, The Jaguar I-Pace
Designed to compete with the Tesla X
0-60 in 4.0 seconds, 310 mile range, seats 5 with more room then the Audi Q5
And about $25,000.00 less; Concept now, Production prototype 2017, full Production 2018

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/los-...16-all-the-cars-and-trucks/ss-AAkpKNQ#image=4

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/los-...16-all-the-cars-and-trucks/ss-AAkpKNQ#image=5
Where are you getting pricing on the I-Pace? Jaguar certainly isn't talking... Cetainly looks better than the Model X, at least to me. The Model X just doesn't appeal to me visually; just looks a bit off in carrying over the design language from the Model S. The Tesla booth was certainly hopping though. Two Model S examples and a Model X displayed; but no Model 3.

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
- No Yellow reflector needed. New led light projects amber color, but lense is clear. May have been DOT requirement, but you see newer cars without an amber lense- Lexus SC500, Infiniti Q60...
- Suspension did indeed look refined and more substantial around front wheels.
- Interior is near complete-. Gauges in E1C are the final version, no Elgin. Seat in E1C was cloth Lear, but Hyundai Dymo leather option (red) on display next to P5. No pricing on leather upgrade as of yet. They weren't letting people sit in the back seat. Leather option only for the front seat.
-"Viper" steering wheel design is final.
-Was told trunk pops were not finalized, will likely have traditional release mechanism.
-Body panels are almost all steel-stamped. Exceptions include nose cone, back ribbed panels and wheel coverings. Those are composite.
-Very non-committal on production dates even for 4th Qtr 2017, no progress on ATVM loan, secondary offering or other possible financial influx
- Booth was not very visible. Was tucked behind State Farm booth between West and Main show floor passage. Had a lot of traffic on my first pass, but two subequent passes, it was completely dead.
-SC500 and Q60 both have yellow reflectors (note pictures below). Still a requirement as the reflection shows the vehicles width when all the lights (headlight and taillights) are OFF. If you had no reflectors, it would be difficult for a driver to see a vehicle parked on the side of the road at night, which is why they are there. Manufactures do play with their placement and size though (some are in the headlight assembly, some on the side), some are pretty small or tough to see, but they are there.
7310.jpg

index.jpg

NorTracNY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you all to those that were able to bring back information from the show. Still find it interesting that Elio can have multiple people at a show that will give slightly different stories. Sure hope they have that big announcement in the next few months.

Anyone ask about the other E1s?

Officespaced

Elio Addict
Reaction score
-SC500 and Q60 both have yellow reflectors (note pictures below). Still a requirement as the reflection shows the vehicles width when all the lights (headlight and taillights) are OFF. If you had no reflectors, it would be difficult for a driver to see a vehicle parked on the side of the road at night, which is why they are there. Manufactures do play with their placement and size though (some are in the headlight assembly, some on the side), some are pretty small or tough to see, but they are there.
View attachment 11842

View attachment 11843
Ok, no worries. Show cars I mention didn't have them. Regardless, Elio rep indicated as such, the lense is not amber, but the projected color of the light is.

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok, no worries. Show cars I mention didn't have them. Regardless, Elio rep indicated as such, the lense is not amber, but the projected color of the light is.
Ahh, yes. Show cars rarely have them because they are meant for promotion, and are rarely street legal. Good way to show the "sexier" version than the real production one. But yeah, I like the new LED design for the lights.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps it's not an issue since (1) Elio is considered a motorcycle under DOT regs (does the amber lense requirement apply to bikes?), and (2) since Elio is considered a motorcycle and will therefore presumably have its headlights on constantly, the amber-projecting light will also always be on. My guess.

Officespaced

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you all to those that were able to bring back information from the show. Still find it interesting that Elio can have multiple people at a show that will give slightly different stories. Sure hope they have that big announcement in the next few months.

Anyone ask about the other E1s?

The varied responses were very unnerving. But on the other hand "More E1's on the way..." but no time component. "We hope to start production at the end of next year". Oh by the way, that's just for the 100 initial fleet. There's no schedule yet for reservation customers. They'll need time to "evaulat
Perhaps it's not an issue since (1) Elio is considered a motorcycle under DOT regs (does the amber lense requirement apply to bikes?), and (2) since Elio is considered a motorcycle and will therefore presumably have its headlights on constantly, the amber-projecting light will also always be on. My guess.

I looked up the DOT requirements. Motocycles are required to have amber lights in front, red in back

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Motorcycles have side reflector requirements as well. Amber in front, red in back. The lighting does not negate this requirement.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Motorcycles have side reflector requirements as well. Amber in front, red in back. The lighting does not negate this requirement.
Federal requirements. And before someone says, "yes... but... but... but..."
You have to look close because the rear side facing reflector is built into the taillight assembly on some bikes.

My 250 Virago for example...

virago010.jpg

I'm going to swap for dual circuit white side reflectors that light up and blink amber and red (as running/turns) respectively on my 650, because it looks cool against all that chrome when parked. I've got the stock front-facing amber running/turns in front and rear-facing amber turns in back but I've got mirrored chrome lenses on them. They have a mirror finish when not lit. You can also see them in the above picture of the Virago.

I've been able to get the mirrored running/turns through inspection every year even though they don't meet requirements. I seriously doubt if my local shop will let the powered (white/clear when off) side reflectors pass. I'll probably have to install them with disconnects so that I can switch them back for inspection every year. Having the front facing amber running lights lit when the engine is on may also be a requirement. Every stock bike I've seen in recent years is set up that way.

I don't think this will be a big issue for the Elio. They did say that it's 80% production didn't they?
So that's just one of the things that are in the 20% of unfinished business.

650vstar16.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom