• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Still struggling to organise and buy some stuff I need, many shops still closed.

Tomorrow is the 15th day of the New Year (the 15th of the month being a coincidence, it works from the lunar calendar), all families for a big lunch to gather to say goodbye as they go back to their own cites and work, so that usually concludes the holiday set and Wednesday should be back to normal.

It's just the way it is this time of the year.
It's almost like that around here between Christmas and New Year's Day. Lots of small shops will take off an entire week or so. Many folks that are on the job are coasting and hoping they don't have to do much – if anything. Look forward to seeing more laser cutting and welding soon!! :rockon:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's almost like that around here between Christmas and New Year's Day. Lots of small shops will take off an entire week or so. Many folks that are on the job are coasting and hoping they don't have to do much – if anything. Look forward to seeing more laser cutting and welding soon!! :rockon:

People may or may not have noticed I worked those days, including Xmas and New Year day, but I am here, and ..

Good news, all businesses and shops were open again today, so will be swinging back into it full time again from here on in, and can expect regular updates again.

Today got all the bits I needed as I have had to make a mini subframe for the steering rack, was trying to avoid it, but actually turned out simpler and easier than expected.

This will allow me to assemble the steering rack on the bench first, then transfer it to, and simply bolt it onto the main crossmember.

Bolt it on tomorrow, then start looking at brakes, and getting it on it's wheels.

rack sub mount 1.jpg

JohnJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Local back streets outside of the city limits, strictly illegal, but not really a big issue.

Amusing how strict they are here for normal cars in terms of licencing, yearly inspections and zero modifications, then you see some of the other vehicles like the one below that drive around that they completely ignore! You wouldn't try to drive within city limits though.

Police here are amusing in one sense, the rare few that you ever see that is, they have an allocated job to do, and if they are doing roadside checks and they step out and hail you to stop, and you don't stop, that's it, nothing. They did their part, that's the extent of their duty, lol.

......... In Australia 6 police cars would be chasing you within minutes and you would be booked for everything under the sun. Something like $2000 in fines for driving an unlicenced vehicle in Australia.

View attachment 25480

Still, I would rather live in Australia!

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know you're bored with steering updates, more me than you, but now it's pretty much all done, and that includes items such as driving position, and the ability to adjust the steering wheel up and down, and in and out to find a comfortable driving position.

I am happy it retains 90% "off the shelf" components, especially the telescopic steering shaft that allows for the steering wheel to be adjusted, that was a big win.

There's still some covers and better brackets to be made later, but the car could be driven with it as it stands.

steer wheel 1.jpg

What an effort it's been though, here's just some of the left over test brackets changing heights, positions and pinion shaft rotation ..

temp.jpg

I'll move towards brakes and getting it on it's wheels next

Top Bottom