• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Really nice rendering Arilea......however I really like to see a fat rear tire.....or I guess my question is how wide a tire can you safely use in the rear.....or this will sound really stupid but I'm no expert so...will two thin tires next to each other in a single rear axle can still be called a "3wheeler??

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh and today I did a bunch of welding on the frame, but i am not satisfied with the rear swingarm bushes, well that's not quite true, the bushes are great, but I need to double up on them to facilitate mounting them better to the chassis.

Mark, thanks for modifying the drawing .... I really do like the way it looks .... can only wish it would be possible to order one right now .... :car: .... do you envision having all 3 tires the same size ..?.. I don't know how much (if any) having the same size tires matters

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
will two thin tires next to each other in a single rear axle can still be called a "3wheeler??

Ah "The Question".

It entirely depends on where you are, many countries have a specific law stating that yes, dual wheels are one wheel. Britain and France I know for fact that 2 wheels separated by less than 18" center to center is one wheel, and Canada even states the law specific to 3 wheelers.

Number of Wheels

2.2 For the purpose of determining the number of wheels on a motorcycle or a three-wheeled vehicle, two wheels are considered to be one wheel if they are mounted on the same axle and the distance between the centres of their areas of contact with the ground is less than 460 mm.

• SOR/2003-272, s. 2
  • SOR/2009-318, s. 2
  • SOR/2011-264, s. 2

I figure in the USA, every State has a different interpretation , but note that large pickups with "Dualies" are called 4x4, not 6x6.

Some States have a specific law that says the amount of wheels touching the ground is what it is, so why is a "Dualie" not a 6x6 in those States ...

Dual wheels is a great idea as it avoids the hassles of a puncture, and you can use one for the front if you get a punture, I have been thinking about this ...

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
one thing to consider is if it ends up "officially" having 4 tires, it may be classified as an automobile and have to meet the standards which cover them .... that could move the process of getting one on the streets into a very different ballpark

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ah "The Question".

It entirely depends on where you are, many countries have a specific law stating that yes, dual wheels are one wheel. Britain and France I know for fact that 2 wheels separated by less than 18" center to center is one wheel, and Canada even states the law specific to 3 wheelers.

Number of Wheels

2.2 For the purpose of determining the number of wheels on a motorcycle or a three-wheeled vehicle, two wheels are considered to be one wheel if they are mounted on the same axle and the distance between the centres of their areas of contact with the ground is less than 460 mm.

• SOR/2003-272, s. 2
  • SOR/2009-318, s. 2
  • SOR/2011-264, s. 2

I figure in the USA, every State has a different interpretation , but note that large pickups with "Dualies" are called 4x4, not 6x6.

Some States have a specific law that says the amount of wheels touching the ground is what it is, so why is a "Dualie" not a 6x6 in those States ...

Dual wheels is a great idea as it avoids the hassles of a puncture, and you can use one for the front if you get a punture, I have been thinking about this ...
It'll give me a big grin if you decide to use this size rear tire.:becky:
3wheel.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It'll give me a big grin if you decide to use this size rear tire.:becky:

Issue is that tires increase in price exponentially the wider you go. There's no great advantage in this vehicle's intended usage other than looks, but I have considered to leave enough space for people to put a 'widey' (Australian term) on.

My current delay is that when I went to make up the rear swingarm bushes, just looking at it told me that there really wasn't enough bush area, so I decided to double up the bushes each side, as you can see here.

rear bush.jpg

I can use most of the laser cut brackets still, just in a slightly different arrangement, and I'm just waiting for the other 2 bushes I ordered to arrive.

Hope to end up something like this, note no bracing depicted ..

rear arm.jpg

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Issue is that tires increase in price exponentially the wider you go. There's no great advantage in this vehicle's intended usage other than looks, but I have considered to leave enough space for people to put a 'widey' (Australian term) on.

while I like the look of the 'widey' rear tire, its not something I'd pay extra to get .... as noted, having one doesn't offer much of an advantage on a BEX type trike .... its wider footprint might have a bit of a negative impact on mileage and acceleration .... based on the drawing, the strut will most definitely limit space to center a spare .... my preference is for the same size tire to be used both front and rear

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ah "The Question".

Number of Wheels

• SOR/2003-272, s. 2
  • SOR/2009-318, s. 2
  • SOR/2011-264, s. 2

Some years back a two-tire wheel was offered. It didn't fly, I guess. Also, You may need a larger rear tire to balance the handling.

Top Bottom