• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Getting the swingarm brackets and bushes sorted out.

Looks a bit rough because I changed it to double bushes, and just modifying the brackets I already have, rather than making new ones at the moment.

This is the left side only, still waiting for the other side's 2 bushes to arrive to complete it.

The forks are where the swingarm gets welded into.

swingarm 2.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is the year make and model for this one?

Changan V7, the local parts store had them and offered them to me cheap, but I haven't ultimately decided which to use, they are all pretty close in dimensions in the class. I would suggest the last model Hyundai Verna/Accent is my top pick...

doubling the brushes sure makes it look much stronger ...:thumb:

Yup, and it was actually a visual feel thing from years of experience, the single bush just didn't look enough.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Changan V7, the local parts store had them and offered them to me cheap, but I haven't ultimately decided which to use, they are all pretty close in dimensions in the class. I would suggest the last model Hyundai Verna/Accent is my top pick...
The 3dWarehouse greatly under-serves late model inexpensive cars.
There is much more support for sports and luxury models.
And even worse for 2door coupes it appears. The last few days I have downloaded a number of coupes I will work with soon. But I am avoiding sports models and cars with low front end height.
But for the model you asked for, I found the following 4 CAD files.
The third and fourth are pathetic clay-doe blobs at best.
Really just a balloon with lines drawn on the surface.
The 2018 seems to be close to what we want, but it is a 4 door,
but maybe the ? Hb20 ? is closer to a 2Door size? -Pick One-

To tell the truth, around Phoenix, for late model cars, I see many 4door sedans on the road and very-very few late model, low priced 2 door coupes.
About 4 years ago they started disappearing. The US has went SUV and crossover bonkers these last 10 years. With all cars so tall, everyone who commutes wants a better view and not to feel like they are sitting low in a bath tub. Unless they want a sports car, like a Corvette, Porsche, BMW, or Audi.
There are still hatch backs. But I find them a bit too tall in the back, and often too low in the front for an ICE drive.
Possibly 4doors are all that you can get in any volume after 2020 for low priced models.
1624382240599.png

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I get the 2door version done in CAD, I'll try and make an analog to this image below.
But you know, I do now think the rear hatch is a waist of effort. If the rear seat can lay forward, who needs the hatch? Not much is my current opinion.
ElioM could have saved money on that.
I'm just fine with it not being in the Bex design.
ElioMemories.jpg

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You know... I always thought the rear of the Elio was a bit too narrow. Even a few inches more width would have helped a little – regarding storage.

I believe Mark has said he's planning on the BEX having a slightly wider rear?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You know... I always thought the rear of the Elio was a bit too narrow. Even a few inches more width would have helped a little – regarding storage.

I believe Mark has said he's planning on the BEX having a slightly wider rear?

Yup, it's a battle though to go against my nature to like a 'wider rear'.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
---in agreement with you---, and by way of sharing whaz-zup to everyone else....

There has always been a struggle between styling and aerodynamics. And between aesthetics and utility.
But how important is it? Well, the rule in the old days, when cars were heavier, bulky and very poor in air flow, say about the late 50's, half your power was due to aero drag at 55mph. By the mid 60's that was true at around 60mph. By the 70's some were at 50mph, and some at 70mph, depending.

Now I find it incredibly funny to see an aerodynamically clean body(or at least low or narrow), but a big old open cockpit and badly placed wind screen. Seriously, just like a bump-on-a-log to my eyes.
zzLumpOnALog.jpg

zz937.jpg
zzfc84453c.jpg
zzz91.jpg

Then you still also see long seeping fenders, complete with that gaping hole allowing the wheel to turn. After the hole, the long sweep may or may not help at all. (tunnel or simulation testing is everything)

The 50's had those 'aerodynamic' styles inspired by aircraft, but with big rounded trailing edges and bulbous back ends. All 'bluff' forms that are incredibly bad, creating huge turbulent flows and vortexes. But HEY, they looked nice.

And we currently have the pointy or wedge shape to supposedly pierce the air, but all kinds of nice artwork following it that do all kinds of things to the moving air....

Coming to a narrow rear (without a 'bluff' form) will reduce the drag, and thusly the power requirement. The builder/designer gets to decide which goal to serve the most. (in this case, storage vs mpg vs looks)

(PS, very often forgotten, the underbelly is important, but costly to fix. Out of sight is out of mind?)

In my car I decided to open the front wheel well. So I'm not innocent either! :rolleyes:
(I retain the right to attach a bolt-on blister !! :cool:)
airflow.jpg

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
understood and agree .... as a possible compromise, how about an aerodynamically shaped rear end with a provision to be able to tow a motorcycle type trailer .... that would provide the aerodynamics for owners who don't need storage space with easy access for those who do

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
understood and agree ....

I may not have been talking completely about the car build when I mentioned "wider rear" ...

But anyway ..............

Finally, my other 2 bushes arrived today, won't deal with them again.

This has stalled me because too many things are related to the installation of them, and I have been concerned to move forward until I have the rear swingarm in place, so I can put the wheels on, and setup the ride height.

bush arrived.jpg

Top Bottom