• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This type of engine is 100 to 200 years old in principle, one of my favorite engine sites here ..

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Liquid Piston is currently hoping to inspire manufacturers to use their engine. It's been years into an up hill battle.

LIMITED QUANTITIES OF DEVELOPMENT KITS, WHICH INCLUDE A CUSTOM BILLET MACHINED X-MINI PROTOTYPE ENGINE, ARE BEING MADE AVAILABLE TO SELECT DEVELOPMENT PARTNERS. STARTING AT $30,000.

That's a cool engine too. And like you said, they actually have working examples. Problem I see is that they are too small to produce in large quantities and therefore the price won't be coming down any time soon. They would need to license to a major manufacturer. They mentioned 30% better efficiency but they would need to put it into something like a car to have a fair comparison. Wonder what it might be produced at money wise if done in volume. I bet it would still be more than what the complete Elio was suppose to cost. Still, nice concept.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As many of you know, it is Chinese New Year/ Spring Festival here, and everything is shut solid, even my own factory!

It's like Xmas Eve through to New Year's day week.

The factory guard has gone home for a few days! Wish he had of told me, I would have grabbed a key to let myself into the compound.

So nothing this week really, that's why a bit quiet, but am drawing in 3D CAD, looking at ways to improve on existing components and structures.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
well, HAPPY NEW YEAR
41.gif

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been working hard on steering wheel position, angle and height, and not only come up with a comfortable, adjustable solution I am very pleased with, but found when I got it into that position, I can use the donor car's steering shaft, and that is a win!

It's the proper steering shaft design for an adjustable column, as you can see in the picture, compressed and extended, as it needs to change length when the steering wheel is tilted, or adjusted in or out to suit different drivers.

steer shaft 1.jpg

So steering shaft is "off the shelf", and another production item resolved.

You can now see by the angles why I went to all the trouble to modify the steering rack for the pinion shaft to point inwards. The rack still isn't mounted properly, I have to wait for the laser shop to reopen in a few days for the brackets i need.

steer shaft 2.jpg

Top Bottom