• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm in agreement. I'm worried how the automobile/motorcycle insurance companies will view the BEX. Will they see it as an economy autocycle or a sport autocycle?? There is a HUGE price difference for 600cc motorcycles vs. 1,000cc liter bikes (at least my insurance company).

due to their appearance and amenities I believe that the BEX will be viewed as as standard street use reverse trikes ..... Honda Gold Wings with 1500 cc motors aren't considered as race bikes .... their insurance rates aren't based solely on motor size

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Arcimoto FUV owners have experienced extreme low to high rates from various insurance companies. it seems insurance carriers don’t quite know where that ‘autocycle‘ defined enclosed three wheeler motorcycle fits.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm worried how the automobile/motorcycle insurance companies will view the BEX.

.... their insurance rates aren't based solely on motor size

I have a plan for the insurance companies in my head, based on major component replacement at low set prices and other factors, to keep premiums down, I'll eventually put it to paper.

It's an area I had considered, and the better I make it, the better for everyone.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope its OK to ask another question of Mark.
I was thinking more and more about this 1.5L Honda engine you are working with and it got me thinking about an OBD2 port.

Will the BEX have an OBD2 port?? And if so, should I assume the codes it reports can be cross referenced to the Honda FIT codes??

JK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I never believed Elio's nonsense of 84 mpg, not even sure how he came about to claim that,
As I recall...
Paul's 'targeted' 84 MPG explanation. (At the time the best ecomomy gasoline cars were getting 42 MPG.)

When you get up to speed, 1/2 the power goes to moving air.
Car is half as wide, moves half the air, gets double the mileage.
There's no magic here.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I recall...
Paul's 'targeted' 84 MPG explanation. (At the time the best ecomomy gasoline cars were getting 42 MPG.)

When you get up to speed, 1/2 the power goes to moving air.
Car is half as wide, moves half the air, gets double the mileage.
There's no magic here.

I ask this, "Half as wide as what?" Width means nothing, frontal area is a whole different story. For example, when we talk about full width, the Elio was wider than a C6 Corvette. The way I see it, Paul was talking to people that are not engineers and thus know nothing about things like fluid dynamics. So the claim sounds great but not realistic. In addition to this, people wanted to believe Paul was right. All I have been preaching for years is for him to take a semi production ready Elio and have it tested by a third party using the same exact SAE set of protocols for the test as you do a car. If he hits the 84 mpg, I'll shut up. As we all seen, it became "Up to 84MPG" which means anywhere from 1 to 84.

I suggest we go back 12 years ago and see all of the claims Paul was making. As for the 84MPG, it was to be

Their first mileage rating was 66 miles per gallon which surpasses the twenty-five
year old standard adhered to by the Japanese automakers. However, since McClaren became
involved the rating has risen to 83 miles per gallon

I find it interesting that he somehow misspelled McLaren. So when you see how Mark doesn't believe Paul, you see he was not the only one.

https://pontiacgers.azurewebsites.net/assets/docs/Minutes/2010/gers spec 021010.pdf

Last edited:

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I ask this, "Half as wide as what?" Width means nothing, frontal area is a whole different story. For example, when we talk about full width, the Elio was wider than a C6 Corvette. The way I see it, Paul was talking to people that are not engineers and thus know nothing about things like fluid dynamics. So the claim sounds great but not realistic. In addition to this, people wanted to believe Paul was right. All I have been preaching for years is for him to take a semi production ready Elio and have it tested by a third party using the same exact SAE set of protocols for the test as you do a car. If he hits the 84 mpg, I'll shut up. As we all seen, it became "Up to 84MPG" which means anywhere from 1 to 84.

I suggest we go back 12 years ago and see all of the claims Paul was making. As for the 84MPG, it was to be

I find it interesting that he somehow misspelled McLaren. So when you see how Mark doesn't believe Paul, you see he was not the only one.

https://pontiacgers.azurewebsites.net/assets/docs/Minutes/2010/gers spec 021010.pdf
I had a problem years ago with the term "up to". I deals with mortgage escrow accounts. My mortgage was bought by another bank and they told me the first bank wasn't holding enough escrow. They said that after they pay the local property taxes they must still have "up to" six months of escrow as reserve. My argument was that "less than" was still considered "up to" and they had me contact the Federal Government (not sure which but think it was banking). There answer was that "up to six months" meant that it must be six months and no less. I argued in vane that was not the definition of "up to" but they are the ones making rules. Sometimes I feel sorry for foreigners trying to learn the English language. Context is everything.

As for Paul Elios statement, the "up to" really just said there was no way it would exceed 84mpg.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio was full of interesting wording. The "up to 84 MPG" is a tough one because, what is that? How do you calculate MPG? Is it the Elio standard? Maybe the UK standard? As we all know, in the UK, they use a different standard and calculate it with the Imperial Gallon, yet they say "MPG". I can come up with my own standard. For example I get over 100 MPG with my RV. I can even prove it. When you see my standard, it's going down a mountain where I'm mostly on the brakes. So I am correct and there's nothing you can do about it and must believe me as I'm just like Paul, an Engineer. We know everything and especially when we wear an engineers cap as we can toot the whistle.

Just like horsepower. I can take an engine and run it in Death Valley during the winter and get great raw numbers. Yet if I had to correct them to a DIN or SAE standard, it's not going to be so great.

This is why Autocycles are so great. No requirement for automotive standards. Elio is designed to the highest safety standards. What that standard is, is anyones guess. I'll make up the RS123.45 safety standard and build my autocycle to that. It's the highest safety standard as RS100.00 is much lower. So I'll not build it to that. Trust me, I know what I'm doing as I control the whistle.

Top Bottom