• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ack, I made a mistake, such small mistake but made the firewall unusable.

The issue is my CAD drawing parts have zero thickness and I simply calculate in my brain where the thickness will make the difference, easy enough, but I made the mistake of calculating the 2mm/0.080" thickness on the wrong side of the bend, which made a 4mm/0.160" difference, the difference can be seen at the arrow.

1660470495129.png

So lasered and bent a new firewall this morning, but have to be a little careful with the shops I use, they are also dying from the heat, and it wasn't 100% happy faces when I roll up and they have to walk away from their giant fans (laser shop) or their air conditioned office (fold shop) ... don't want to burn my bridges, these people are critical to me at the moment. They did appreciate the ice creams I bought them though
1f642.png

Further good news is though it's still 100 degrees, you can feel the humidity starting to drop the last few days, as it should be in the middle of August.

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Man…. I’m going through withdraws!

If you're wondering, likely you are, the heat is beating me, I get to the factory, spend a few miserable hours then retreat home again.

Many businesses are closed, and the laser shop is running half and half staff on alternate days.

1660763359105.png

I just was told that my wife's hometown is rationing electricity to commercial businesses, so residents can have full power for all the aircons that are running.

Odd street number buildings and even number can open only on the corresponding odd or even number day, but not Sunday. That's not in effect in my city, but many businesses are closed anyway, and all the Government offices are closed as well by decree, so maybe they don't think it's required.

I laughed at the headline, because there's 81 million people in Sichuan! https://hongkongfp.com/2022/08/17/five-million-in-southwest-china-face-power-cuts-in-heatwave/

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I spoke too soon!

Our city is doing power sharing, arrived at the factory this morning to be told no juice, and we are on a 2 day rotation, BUT, I did have power yesterday (the 18th), so I don't know.

The official Gov text message here is our factory power is off from 10:07 am on the 18th, until tomorrow the 20th, 10:07 am.

shock.jpg

In our factory complex, I was the only one there yesterday, the others were closed, and you can't see my roller door properly from the street, so maybe they didn't bother to turn the mains off thinking no one was there, but they have today. Just hoping they didn't start the 2 days from today ...

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I spoke too soon!

Our city is doing power sharing, arrived at the factory this morning to be told no juice, and we are on a 2 day rotation, BUT, I did have power yesterday (the 18th), so I don't know.

The official Gov text message here is our factory power is off from 10:07 am on the 18th, until tomorrow the 20th, 10:07 am.

View attachment 25957

In our factory complex, I was the only one there yesterday, the others were closed, and you can't see my roller door properly from the street, so maybe they didn't bother to turn the mains off thinking no one was there, but they have today. Just hoping they didn't start the 2 days from today ...
Crazy times indeed. I read from time to time about brown outs and black outs here in the states. I’ve heard parts of California and Texas are going though it.

Yet, some folks clamor for E cars. Government better turn the utilities loose to built generation plants and distribution and not take 10 years for permits to pass.

Mark, about how far do you drive to reach your factory complex? Not too far, is it?

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EVs really aren’t an issue Or cause of brown outs. EVs are charged at home overnight during non-peak times. Takes more kWh to drill for oil, store, ship, refine , transport, store again, power gas stations, and pump the 30% efficient gas than to charge EVs. Lots of misconceptions regarding EVs. Looking forward to the BEX pure electric. :)
Wat?

CA is telling people to not charge their EVs. Sometimes you have no choice when you are able to charge your car.

You are not saving any energy by going "green."

You do know the entire battery manufacturing process right? First we start by strip mining the earth. All that debris gets kicked up into the air, which kills all the plant life. As it is being mined, what is mining it? EV vehicles or diesel? The answer is diesel. Then you need to ship it. Is it shipped with EV or diesel vehicles? Again, diesel (truck, train, ship). Now, it gets to the various plants for manufacturing. What do these manufacturing plants use? Electricity. Where does this electricity come from? Coal, gas, nuclear, hydro, wind, and/or solar. Which, for wind and solar, those wind turbines cannot be recycled and solar panels produce toxic materials and cannot be recycled. Now, let's skip to where the batteries get put into the cars and delivered to the purchasers. How do these vehicles stay charged? Once again, by the "dirty" coal, gas, and/or nuclear. Now, let's compare that to oil. Oil gets piped out of the earth, piped to the refinery, then piped to each gas station. Putting oil through ships, trains, and trucks is much less than through pipes, especially when you have billions of barrels of oil in your own country. Now, how do you recycle traditional vehicle vs EV? Traditional, you grind it up with huge machines. EVs, that really doesn't exist and extremely expensive.

Top Bottom