• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score

A Dog's Breakfast ..

Build a car they said, it will be fun they said ...

Removing and tagging the wiring loom out of the donor car, in Australia we call a mess like this a "Dog's Breakfast" ...

Thank goodness I am an expert at pulling things apart.

View attachment 26190
Yes, it's a mess. But, we all know what joy you will have getting it to work again.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score

A Dog's Breakfast ..

Build a car they said, it will be fun they said ...

Removing and tagging the wiring loom out of the donor car, in Australia we call a mess like this a "Dog's Breakfast" ...

Thank goodness I am an expert at pulling things apart.

View attachment 26190
I too am an expert of pulling this apart, less so putting it back together though.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I too am an expert of pulling this apart, less so putting it back together though.
Grumpy Cat - looking at your wish list line at the bottom of your post, I see where you at one time were interested in the Infinite Skyz. I looked at their website today to see if there were any updates. Nope. No changes and they still say website will be updated soon. Probably more than four years ago and still no update? Shades of Paul Elio! I tried contacting them years ago and no response.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Grumpy Cat - looking at your wish list line at the bottom of your post, I see where you at one time were interested in the Infinite Skyz. I looked at their website today to see if there were any updates. Nope. No changes and they still say website will be updated soon. Probably more than four years ago and still no update? Shades of Paul Elio! I tried contacting them years ago and no response.
I haven't thought of Infinite Skyz in a very long time ..... can't say I'm surprised but am sorry to hear they appear to be frozen in time

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All the electricals were finally done properly today, after 2 days of no power while it was being done. Now I have power points everywhere, and can place my vertical drills, drop saws, etc where I want them.

Other than that, I stripped out the donor car completely just using hand tools of course, as well as measuring up some mods to the BEX to be performed in the next few days for bodywork fitment.

Been a slow and frustrating move this one, very unimpressed with my landlord, note that I contracted and paid my own electrician to do the work, besides doing all the lights myself.

What goes around comes around eventually, I have good reason to not kick up a fuss about it at the moment.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Don't be nosey.

I dislike going backwards, but the upper front rails had to come off, red lines where they were, and bracing substituted, red arrow. I will add a bit of bracing underneath, strength isn't an issue.

Headlights 1.jpg

The issue is the massive headlights, I simply didn't think they would be so darn big.

I'm figuring how am I going to do the front bodywork/nose. There's nothing to hang it off, it's a 'Catch 22' situation where I need the nose to make brackets, and I need brackets to make the nose ...

I think I'm going to have to build the nose fixed onto an exo frame, on a trolley on wheels, so I can wheel it on and off the front of the frame into place, while I decide it's shape and size, as well as making mounting brackets.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Don't be nosey.

I dislike going backwards, but the upper front rails had to come off, red lines where they were, and bracing substituted, red arrow. I will add a bit of bracing underneath, strength isn't an issue.

View attachment 26198

The issue is the massive headlights, I simply didn't think they would be so darn big.

I'm figuring how am I going to do the front bodywork/nose. There's nothing to hang it off, it's a 'Catch 22' situation where I need the nose to make brackets, and I need brackets to make the nose ...

I think I'm going to have to build the nose fixed onto an exo frame, on a trolley on wheels, so I can wheel it on and off the front of the frame into place, while I decide it's shape and size, as well as making mounting brackets.
As Rosanne Rosannadana once said, "It's always something!" Looking good.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about a flip up front end?? Many years ago, my sister had a Triumph Spitfire that I would work on. The whole front end was one piece (fenders, lights and all) and it would flip up/forward for great access to the engine, etc.
All of the bracing, etc. stayed with hood, fenders and lights and flipped up. I guess since it was one piece it had some form of bracing/rigidity built in??

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score

This is the idea I mentioned yesterday, a trolley on wheels that will hold the nose with an exo frame (external frame), then I can wheel it in and out as I need while sizing the assembly, and designing mountings for it.

This trolley is a fraction too small to do it.

junk 5.jpg

Below is a picture of the headlight and my hand to enlighten you of how large they are ...

junk 6.jpg

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

This is the idea I mentioned yesterday, a trolley on wheels that will hold the nose with an exo frame (external frame), then I can wheel it in and out as I need while sizing the assembly, and designing mountings for it.

This trolley is a fraction too small to do it.

View attachment 26201

Below is a picture of the headlight and my hand to enlighten you of how large they are ...

View attachment 26202
Will the headlights be positioned (height/spacing) and meet all the other FMVSS motorcycle headlight and lamp certification requirements or are changes planned on the Beta Fleet?

Top Bottom