• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will the headlights be positioned (height/spacing) and meet all the other FMVSS motorcycle headlight and lamp certification requirements or are changes planned on the Beta Fleet?

The US Government states:

Compliance with the federal regulation is mandatory for products designed for use on vehicles operated on the public roads.

How I get there is proprietry information.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Sleek.

Today the job was to properly affix the sides to the frame so I can build the nose of course. I had to cut sections out of the sides to fit over the side impact bars, I always grimace when i have to cut brand new parts, going to be worse when I have to cut chunks out of the doors to fit. ...

The trolley you saw yesterday that i said was a bit too narrow, well I cut it and widened it to suit, job done, but still trying to figure how to attach the gibsons, I mean the fenders to it so it's adjustable in all directions.

The car looks really sleek in the flesh, the pictures really don't do it justice, going to be a good looking thing i think ....

1670251674213.png

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
The US Government states:

Compliance with the federal regulation is mandatory for products designed for use on vehicles operated on the public roads.

How I get there is proprietry information.
Some basics...

In some states, a front license plate is required, in other states, a rear plate is required, in other states, both are required. Autocycles use motorcycle plates.

Must have daytime running lights

I know there is a maximum distance between headlights that made Elio move them closer together, but I couldn't find the actual distance needed. Below are three useful pages.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some basics...

In some states, a front license plate is required, in other states, a rear plate is required, in other states, both are required. Autocycles use motorcycle plates.

Must have daytime running lights

I know there is a maximum distance between headlights that made Elio move them closer together, but I couldn't find the actual distance needed. Below are three useful pages.

I'm not aware of any state that requires a front plate on a motorcycle.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Ok, after much searching, I found it in a law case against Morgan 3 wheelers, see the results below in the link.

The distance from the edge of the reflector to edge of reflector, is 8"

Acimoto headlights appear to simply meet this regulation, the Polaris Slingshot have a a pair or a cluster of inner headlights, that you don't notice really unless this law comes to your intention, clever of them ...

1670348269596.png

However, the Elio clearly would not meet this law, yet you suggest they changed to suit the law, Vanderhall and especially the Solo comes nowhere near it, makes me wonder what gives with those 2 ...

1670348752160.png

1670348453943.png

It's a very stupid law for an Autocycle, and Morgan were right to try to fight it, clearly a bunch of egos in the public service (what a shock) stuck to their guns, idiots.

I can't afford to go to Court and fight it, so I need to figure something clever to get around it, Slingshot solution looks the way to go, people can change back to the 'normal' headlights later.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The FUV and Solo went through the rather stringent USA required FMVSS motorcycle certification process. Multiple Beta vehicles were sent to various private testing labs to certify. If you plan to market and sell the BEX in the USA, certification seems to be required to register and license it in all 50 States. As I recall the Solo’s sold in the USA require the optional center headlight. Not a requirement for Canadian sales. The manufacturer VIN tag on the Arcimoto FUV:

1670349974607.jpeg

Top Bottom