• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok, after much searching, I found it in a law case against Morgan 3 wheelers, see the results below in the link.

The distance from the edge of the reflector to edge of reflector, is 8"

Acimoto headlights appear to simply meet this regulation, the Polaris Slingshot have a a pair or a cluster of inner headlights, that you don't notice really unless this law comes to your intention, clever of them ...

View attachment 26211

However, the Elio clearly would not meet this law, yet you suggest they changed to suit the law, Vanderhall and especially the Solo comes nowhere near it, makes me wonder what gives with those 2 ...

View attachment 26213

View attachment 26212

It's a very stupid law for an Autocycle, and Morgan were right to try to fight it, clearly a bunch of egos in the public service (what a shock) stuck to their guns, idiots.

I can't afford to go to Court and fight it, so I need to figure something clever to get around it, Slingshot solution looks the way to go, people can change back to the 'normal' headlights later.

Solo added the center line light(s) on the hood as the main lights and the side lights are the DRL lights probably. The Vanderhall is a complete mystery.

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok, after much searching, I found it in a law case against Morgan 3 wheelers, see the results below in the link.

The distance from the edge of the reflector to edge of reflector, is 8"

Acimoto headlights appear to simply meet this regulation, the Polaris Slingshot have a a pair or a cluster of inner headlights, that you don't notice really unless this law comes to your intention, clever of them ...

View attachment 26211

However, the Elio clearly would not meet this law, yet you suggest they changed to suit the law, Vanderhall and especially the Solo comes nowhere near it, makes me wonder what gives with those 2 ...

View attachment 26213

View attachment 26212

It's a very stupid law for an Autocycle, and Morgan were right to try to fight it, clearly a bunch of egos in the public service (what a shock) stuck to their guns, idiots.

I can't afford to go to Court and fight it, so I need to figure something clever to get around it, Slingshot solution looks the way to go, people can change back to the 'normal' headlights later.
I'm impressed at how you handle these challenges on a positive note. Can you show us a sketch of your headlights/cyclops layout?

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2022 Vanderhall Venice owner's manual says this:

The Vanderhall Venice is NOT a car.

The Vanderhall Venice complies with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and regulations of the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) applicable to motorcycles in the USA.

The Vanderhall Venice vehicle does NOT comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and regulations of the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) applicable to passenger cars in the USA.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Solo added the center line light(s) as on the hood as the main lights and the side lights are the DRL lights probably. The Vanderhall is a complete mystery.

Oh I'm a bit slow, I only just noticed the Solo lights on the hood, problem solved there.

But yup, still doesn't explain the Vanderhall or the Elio, not that the Elio exists ...

The Vanderhall Venice complies with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and regulations of the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) applicable to motorcycles in the USA.

Well from my research, the Vanderhall does not comply with the motorcycle FMVSS Re; the headlight distance of maximum 8" edge of light reflector to edge of light reflector. Vanderhall is at about 14", while you can see the other examples all comply..

I'm impressed at how you handle these challenges on a positive note. Can you show us a sketch of your headlights/cyclops layout?

No, because it only exists in my brain at the moment, and multiple iterations at that.

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Skyhook

So I got my skyhook together today, quite pleased with it, adjustable on 4 axis, and annoyed it took me a couple of days (casual thinking) to figure out something that turned out so simple.

As you can probably understand, it simply rolls onto the front of the car

1670413130873.png

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark Bex, I wonder if a thin but wide horizontal light in the grill would be be a workable solution for you. If it is, it would be worth writing the US government agency listed in those articles if this would be sufficient for their regulations. I know they exist, because people near where I live often put them on their vehicles for more light given all the country roads without streetlights or other traffic in my area (and makes up most of the state) once you leave the city + suburban area of the handful of large towns.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mark Bex, I wonder if a thin but wide horizontal light in the grill would be be a workable solution for you. If it is, it would be worth writing the US government agency listed in those articles if this would be sufficient for their regulations. I know they exist, because people near where I live often put them on their vehicles for more light given all the country roads without streetlights or other traffic in my area (and makes up most of the state) once you leave the city + suburban area of the handful of large towns.

Good idea, but no, thanks.

The law specifically states that the measurement is taken from the edge of the lamps reflector surface.

The Slingshot holds the answer, 2 legal lights in the middle, barely noticeable, while retaining a normal, 'wide car style' headlamp look, even if it's just the running lights.

1670437843393.png

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score

1670450742460.png

This is what Aptera decided on.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Cutting edge tech ...

I cut out the middle of the hood today, and used a mesh and rivet bandaid to stick it back together.

Wish I had of put the bandaid on first, because about 1 second after I took the lower picture, the left hand hood half fell to the ground causing a slight dent ...

I am playing with positioning of the panels, not set in stone, so don't get excited either way about it, early days yet ...

1670501357888.png

Top Bottom