• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Elio Commercial

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Of course, since a man would not stop to ask for directions ;)
I realized this later this afternoon. That's why when the model rolls down the window, her female friend in the back also looks out. (After all, we want to show that the Elio can carry 2 people.) As they turn onto the road, the one in the back says something like, "Next time the GPS on your phone says 'Turn Right', make sure there's a road there." "Oh, shut up."

Voiceover at the end: The new Elio, for 2018. 84 miles per gallon, starting at $6,800. Great in the city, great on the highway, not so great for swamp-surfing.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not bad. Kind of silly. Inexpensive.

That voiceover was creepy, and umm... unrelated to anything else in the commercial.
Dude, the commercial is supposed to be funny. Maybe not "ha ha" LOL funny, but amusing in a way that people will remember the ad (and hopefully the product) the next day -- especially people who do fishing for a hobby. Think of this EDS commercial from 2006:

This commercial doesn't show anything about actually administering an IT network. In fact, it's actually kind of misleading: at least cats try to cover up their poop and pee. In my experience, users aren't so considerate.

The first post I made was literally a first draft, off the top of my pointy little head. The key points I was trying to make were:
  • it's a funny-looking car, that's not really a car;
  • it's associated with Louisiana -- not a hotbed of auto manufacturing (ergo the reference to Shreveport and the action taking place in a bayou);
  • it associates the product with youth and fun;
  • it specifies the two main uses/markets, i.e., cities and highways (you DO know what swamp-surfing is, don't you?);
  • it has a fairly-memorable tagline that will hook people into the product.

In my second draft of the ad, I'd specify that the fishermen would be rugged young men, the location would be off the side of the road (on a levee?), and they'd be line fishing in the bayou/swamp (depending on location).

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With all of the above in mind, here is my second draft for the commercial:

OPENING SCENE:
Two rugged young men are fishing off the side of a road. Scenery in the background indicates this is a swamp or bayou in Louisiana.

Suddenly, MAN 1 gets a jerk on his line. He starts reeling it in, and slowly pulls an Elio out of the water, gleaming in the sun like Venus rising out of the sea. When the Elio is on dry land, the driver's window rolls down, revealing two women.

WOMAN 1: (Smiling broadly) Thank you! Can you tell us how to get to Shreveport?
MAN 1: Uh, yes'm. Just take this road until you get to the parish road and turn right, keep going until you get to the highway and turn left.
(While they are speaking, WOMAN 2 leans forward and smiles at MAN 2. Cut to reaction shot.)
WOMAN 1: Thanks! Bye!
As they drive off, we hear
WOMAN 2: Next time the GPS on your phone says 'Turn Right', make sure there's a road there.
WOMAN 1: Oh, shut up.
Cut to show an Elio in the studio, camera moving to show front left, left, and rear left of Elio. Text at bottom of screen gives web address for Elio.
VOICEOVER: New, for 2018, the Elio. Designed in America, built in Louisiana. 84 miles per gallon, base model starting at $6,800. Great in the city. Great on the highway. Not so great for swamp-surfing.
Cut to the men, looking off at the car as it drives away
MAN 2: (to MAN 1) What did you say you were using for bait?

Personally, I'm thinking a 30-second spot for the 2017 Superbowl.

(NOTE: edited to include corrections by Marshall)

Last edited:
Top Bottom