• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Pictures Of The P5 With The New Motor

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 7111 I've been curious about the Elio intake manifold - most visually exciting thing on the engine. Why are the intake runner tubes so long? Does that not potentially allow condensation to form in the intake...or preheating intake air from engine heat? Both are not desirable. Nice to see them so large relative to the engine size...will make it better for a turbo. Why are they circular like that...does it create vortexes that are somehow advantageous?

Long intake runners, when used in conjunction with proper valve timing and duration, increase low to mid-range torque and make for good driving dynamics in the real world (part throttle operations). Plus, it helps with keeping good brake specific fuel consumption.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is a definite change from how it was oriented in earlier pictures (was more vertical).

Looks like a cover on the dipstick tube held on with a clamp.

Looking at photo #1 on the original post, the bodywork is also held on with a welding clamp!

It's obviously a pre-production engine, all looking very rough and ready to my simple eyes.

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't trust his eyes. He has admitted to not being able to find his specs most days ;):D
It's not a problem because I can't find my specs most days anyway :rolleyes:

My wife is even worse - she picks up my specs by mistake and complains about them when she cant see. We did a car rally a few years ago. She was navigating and she kept missing our turns. She blamed her glasses until I looked across and told her that there were no lenses in the frames. One lens was at the bottom of her handbag and the other one was on the floor of the car!

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Better wait til the engine is cold to check your oil -- located where it is, you better not just pull in from the Pikes Peak Hill Climb and grab hold in there -- tight quarters and hot pipes. Really, that's a design that needs to be thought about. Make the dipstick a couple of inches longer and all is well.

It's not uncommon for the dipstick to come up from the oil pan "between" two exhaust runners. Small block & big block Chevy's, Honda Civics...come to think of it, almost every vehicle I have owned. They were all extended so you didn't have to burn your fingers, tho. :flame:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The engine was dry fitted as we're the body panels. They wanted to make sure the frame was right before painting it. You wouldn't want to have to cut off a bracket and reweld it and have to repaint it.

The frame is done and finalized. It won't take long for the next 25 to get finished.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The engine was dry fitted as we're the body panels. They wanted to make sure the frame was right before painting it. You wouldn't want to have to cut off a bracket and reweld it and have to repaint it.

The frame is done and finalized. It won't take long for the next 25 to get finished.
from your mouth toYah+weh's ears

Top Bottom