• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Re: Epa - You Must Be Joking!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cult
a.
A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.

I go by the dictionary.

Try also reading the last sentence of my comment.

"Using "Secret Science" to enact a regulation is like using "secret evidence" to convict someone of a felony crime."
There it is. We all apparently go by different books and even dictionaries.
A pretty good one is Merriam-Webster that I use periodically and here is 2 from M-W:
image.jpg

I would never debate religion but the definition of cult as it applies to worship and formal religions, all religions are cults. I don't care. I just want my Elio as a member of the Elio cult.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A pretty good one is Merriam-Webster that I use periodically and here is 2 from M-W:
View attachment 5133

I would never debate religion but the definition of cult as it applies to worship and formal religions, all religions are cults. I don't care. I just want my Elio as a member of the Elio cult.

Using "Secret Science" to enact a regulation is like using "secret evidence" to convict someone of a felony crime.

Maybe you should let SATX defend himself and his views.
One of the folks who worked for me had a PhD in Philosophy. We used to enjoy debating the true meaning of "Object Oriented" and why you couldn't apply it to Visual Basic but could apply it to Visual C++. It gets boring when one participant in a debate wont address the entire issue and insists on trying to win points by taking only selected parts.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elected representatives make laws.
That's what we elect them to do.
Agencies do not make law. They promulgate regulations that are supposed to implement the laws enacted by elected representatives.
Congress has the lawful right to regulate governmental agency's actions.

Of course that's correct.

I hadn't expected a serious response to my extend-it-to-absurdity (reducto ad absurdam) attack on the idiocy of assuming EPA (and other agencies) are ONLY making regulations for non-scientific reasons. My initial question was "how do you know this is the case," and it got no answer, so I decided to blow it up by posing my question.

I give up!

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Love the cow dodo, but this political dodo is getting way to out of hand.
Folks- Too far over the top- I hope it gets pulled .I reported it so if it happens you know where it came from
Please don't blame me. Everything the guy does is over the top. I just hope you know where I'm coming from. You just can't ignore the blatant video. "Civilian Security Force"? give me a break.
Just so long as you realize it's the zinging truth about this petulant little communist twerp.

Last edited:

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's all try to have a little civility here. That's why when I'm right everyone should listen to me. If we have faith in something does that make it a religion? Please know I'm joking about the being right thingy.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 5133

The way I see it; The truly most important questions can only be answered with a deep abiding faith in a belief. Sure science has it's place but it can't really deal with the most driving and aching questions in life. If you've not arrived at these questions in your life just keep looking. They are out there. If you think science will eventually work its way around answering these questions then you don't even know the proper question to ask.
For now I think Goofy and Joshua would be pleased if we try to limit the questions just about the Elio cult. So for now I'm of the same religion as you Rickb. I have faith that the Elio will come to fruition

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This will be confusing and of small significance but I will try.

There are some things that exist in the name of “goodness”. Examples of this are environmentalism, patriotism, religion, safety, etc. These are al things that exist in the name of “goodness”.

Things that exist in the name of goodness tend to be open ended. They do not have limits. If a building or road is built, there comes a time when they are complete and everyone recognizes it. However, things that exist in the name of goodness have no limit. How patriotic is patriotic enough? How safe is safe enough? How environmentally friendly is environmentally friendly enough? How religious is religious enough? And it just continues.

These are the kind of things that take on a life of their own and come to serve their own existence rather than to serve man for what they were originally intended. People were literally tortured in the name of god by the Spanish inquisition. Because of patriotism, we invaded a country that absolutely noting to do with 9/11. During the crusades, countless people were killed in the name of gentle Jesus and Allah the compassionate. Ordinary citizens have had tremendous fines imposed on them in the name of environmentalism. Patriotism under McCarthyism persecuted many Americans.

Much of the greatest weapons these have is manipulation and guilt trips. After 9/11, I supported invading Iraq because of my sense of patriotism. Did I let myself be manipulated? Are we made to feel guilty if we question things that exist in the name of goodness? Controlling people by force controls only their actions. Their mind is still free to think. Manipulation and guilt trips, on the other hand, control not only people’s actions, but also their minds.

I don’t know which is more dangerous: definite laws which have limits, or these open ended things that exist in the name of goodness.

When the boot is on your neck, it doesn’t matter if it is a left boot or a right boot.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This will be confusing and of small significance but I will try.

There are some things that exist in the name of “goodness”. Examples of this are environmentalism, patriotism, religion, safety, etc. These are al things that exist in the name of “goodness”.

When the boot is on your neck, it doesn’t matter if it is a left boot or a right boot.

Great! now look what you've done it. NOw I'll probably have a nite mare with a boot on my neck and and wake up gagging. I think the right boot is all about getting the decent people out to vote and kick ass. rather than anything about a neck.

Top Bottom