• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Shreveport Plant Tour

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi your number is 2225 .. Do you remember the date you placed your order..I reserved mine a week or so ago..no number yet from Elio but would like to compare my order date to yours when I receive my number.. That will give me a good idea of how many people are going all in for the 1 k daily . weekly etc...

Hola 3 card Monty,
I went gotta have it on Feb. 19th # is 2951............. :)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I spoke to a Elio representative yesterday in Daytona Beach and he said they want to initially produce a 1000 Elios per week. That's about one every 7.2 minutes based on a 24 hour / 5 day work week.
GM was running one truck off that line every 54 seconds. We balanced the workstations to 52 seconds. They have capability with the line, at least. It'll depend on suppliers mostly. Well, that and customers.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Kuda..I may come in under #4000 .. which should put us both in the 1st months production if this actually happens..

I would estimate that anybody over 2000 can pretty much be certain they won't be in the first month. We have to remember the production line does not just start up at full speed on day one instead it starts off slowly so all workers can learn what they need to do and also to find any kinks in the process. At first they will also be thoroughly inspecting every vehicle off the line to make sure everything is just right. The line will pick up speed over time but it will likely take at least a month, or two or even longer, to reach their initial production goal as this is a brand new product rolling of a new assembly line with new workers.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would estimate that anybody over 2000 can pretty much be certain they won't be in the first month. We have to remember the production line does not just start up at full speed on day one instead it starts off slowly so all workers can learn what they need to do and also to find any kinks in the process. At first they will also be thoroughly inspecting every vehicle off the line to make sure everything is just right. The line will pick up speed over time but it will likely take at least a month, or two or even longer, to reach their initial production goal as this is a brand new product rolling of a new assembly line with new workers.
....Except for the learning part of the workers! I don't think they learn on the go what needs to be done when in full production as it will slow down the process. They will most likely train "before" full production on an actual production ELIO or the P5 and when they've got the hang of it will the actual production starts. No slow down process...lots of customers waiting for their ELIOS! ;)

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The summer following my acquisition of an elio I plan to head to Chicago and run as much of the original Route 66 as is possible. This will be my second complete transverse of "The Mother Road". Third if I count parts and pieces.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
....Except for the learning part of the workers! I don't think they learn on the go what needs to be done when in full production as it will slow down the process. They will most likely train "before" full production on an actual production ELIO or the P5 and when they've got the hang of it will the actual production starts. No slow down process...lots of customers waiting for their ELIOS! ;)

I am sure they will have some sort of training ahead of time so the workers know what they are expected to do however static training is very different from working on a moving assembly line. It is just natural for the workers to be more proficient and do things faster as they gain experience. This is standard for most production lines no matter what is being assembled.
There will also be assembly stations that take longer than expected and stations that will be faster than expected so assembly duties will have to be balanced, this is partly what Ty was discussing. Production lines always take some tweaking to get working well and this just takes a little time.
I just want everyone to be realistic and not be surprised when this happens. I am sure Elio will want to deliver these vehicles as soon as possible to the customers that have been waiting for them but they also want to deliver a good quality product as well.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Production lines always take some tweaking to get working well and this just takes a little time.
[/quote]

Highly likely that the majority of the first hires will be former "Hummer"
builders from the Shreveport area. The learning curve for an Elio will be
pretty quick I venture.................. :)

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The line pace will be mechanically set so as to not form bottle necks. It has very little to do with the speed of an individual working on the line. If it were that way, they would have to make sure everyone is capable of working at the same speed so things don’t pile up because Joe is slower at his station than the rest. Proficiency is the goal of the line worker, not speed.
The more proficient you are the slower you can work and still accomplish the task on the line.

When they first start out, they will work there putts off till they figure out how to cut steps out in their process and stream line their station, ie, taking one step over to get a part rather than two or three. Distance equals time, the closer things are the slower you can work. The better you are at your job the less work you have to put into it in an eight hour shift and the better you feel when you get home.

Have you ever worked some where, where you are working so fast you are about to quit and the person next to you doing the same thing looks like he is about to fall asleep? That’s because he has figured out how to do the job with half the steps you are using to accomplish the same thing. JMO

Last edited:

SSpiffy

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I will definitely take the plant tour. Inspecting industries is what I do for a living (well, part of it) and I really enjoy it. Being who I am, I'll be looking at things a little differently than most.

It will be great, if a bit smaller than the Boeing Widebody plant I inspect 2X/year. That's at least a full day of walking.

Top Bottom