• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Shreveport Plant Tour

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will definitely take the plant tour. Inspecting industries is what I do for a living (well, part of it) and I really enjoy it. Being who I am, I'll be looking at things a little differently than most.

It will be great, if a bit smaller than the Boeing Widebody plant I inspect 2X/year. That's at least a full day of walking.
Work for factory mutual?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
has anyone actually been to the plant? and made a report? is it a union shop? prob not, are there any brochures to be mailed? do they have any operating manuals printed yet

These are all good questions however they really don't mean anything at this point as they come into play further along in the process.
I would not expect to see anything going on at the factory until a few months before production and considering that is about a year away its going to be a while before something happens there.
Why would they have brochures and operating manuals ready for a car design that has not yet been finalized.

Reaction score
I'm planning on picking up mine and taking the plant tour and then driving to Dallas to visit a friend and then driving to Florida to visit more friends and then up the East Coast back to MA. Raybonz said tooling and staffing the factory cost a small fortune but it shouldn't because there is very little tooling. That is how they are keeping the price down. All the parts are available already so they don't have to tool up for them. I wish they would contact us to see what color and options we want. Just to let us know they are moving forward.

Daniel Venzke

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I live in Midland, TX (488 miles from the factory) Lucky me I have family in Dallas area and they have in-laws in Shreveport. I get a ride with family to Shreveport, they (and I) get to visit the in-laws and I drive home in my new Elio. Yay!

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm planning on picking up mine and taking the plant tour and then driving to Dallas to visit a friend and then driving to Florida to visit more friends and then up the East Coast back to MA. Raybonz said tooling and staffing the factory cost a small fortune but it shouldn't because there is very little tooling. That is how they are keeping the price down. All the parts are available already so they don't have to tool up for them. I wish they would contact us to see what color and options we want. Just to let us know they are moving forward.
By tooling I mean the getting the factory automation tooled up to produce the Elio.. If robots are utilized they need end of arm tooling, robots need to be taught, etc.. Know what I mean Bruce? BTW welcome to the forum Bruce!

Ray

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
By tooling I mean the getting the factory automation tooled up to produce the Elio.. If robots are utilized they need end of arm tooling, robots need to be taught, etc.. Know what I mean Bruce? BTW welcome to the forum Bruce!

Ray
That is correct. It will take some doing to get the arms all swinging the right way. The line itself will be able to trolley the frames along and the chassis trolleys should still be there as well as the axle, seat, and doors lifters. Those are human guided but are force multipliers so a little lifting force can move more weight. It'll take some time. I wonder if they'll get lucky with finding some former plant engineers.

Greycat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would love to take a plant tour if given the chance. Used to work for a fastener supplier to the big three, I had a few partial plant tours of GM, Saturn and Ford assembly plants, but never with the personal interest of touring a plant that's building the car I am purchasing right now.

Top Bottom