• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sondors Electric Car

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My concern was unsprung weight, but this article indicates that engineering can overcome that issue. The other big question is traction control on ice/snow with the SONDOR's single rear wheel drive motor. It will be fun to see it screaming around the test track and see some documented performance data. Side by side seating vehicle width makes the SONDERs autocycle more auto than motorcycle, whereas the tandem seating of the Elio autocycle more motorcycle than auto, likely making the Elio more fun to drive.

http://www.plugincars.com/pros-and-cons-wheel-motors-127174.html
Agreed.
The EM Solo has 1 rear drive, but is so small it may not be an issue at all. The Sonders is bigger, it may be an issue.
2 front drive is now known to be the much preferred way to go with a Delta configuration for safety and handling.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agreed.
The EM Solo has 1 rear drive, but is so small it may not be an issue at all. The Sonders is bigger, it may be an issue.
2 front drive is now known to be the much preferred way to go with a Delta configuration for safety and handling.
I tend to lean towards the stability/traction control of the Delta and front wheel drive configuration. However, the SOLO's architecture was tested and proven on Corbin Motors 300 production Sparrows. Also, EMVs build/testing of their own EMVSparrows and 8+- preproduction SOLOs. I wasn't able to find an example of a production vehicle/testing data using in wheel motors. SONDORs will be the test bed concept. Cool if it works.

acentre

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My concern was unsprung weight, but this article indicates that engineering can overcome that issue. The other big question is traction control on ice/snow with the SONDOR's single rear wheel drive motor. It will be fun to see it screaming around the test track and see some documented performance data. Side by side seating vehicle width makes the SONDERs autocycle more auto than motorcycle, whereas the tandem seating of the Elio autocycle more motorcycle than auto, likely making the Elio more fun to drive.

http://www.plugincars.com/pros-and-cons-wheel-motors-127174.html
I wonder which one we will be driving first. I am sure it will have abs/traction control, but we should know by December.

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder which one we will be driving first. I am sure it will have abs/traction control, but we should know by December.
I sent Sondors an Email asking if we would be able to test drive the Sondors in Dec.? I haven't received a reply, but my gut feeling is no. To much to be done first. I would still like to sit in it to get a true feeling for the Sondors! So, unless I change my mind, I will be at the LA auto show!

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sent Sondors an Email asking if we would be able to test drive the Sondors in Dec.? I haven't received a reply, but my gut feeling is no. To much to be done first. I would still like to sit in it to get a true feeling for the Sondors! So, unless I change my mind, I will be at the LA auto show!
Take lots of pics and let us know what your thoughts are :D

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think both the Sondors and Electra autocycles look great, and they could even help Elio by proving there's a strong market for 3 wheeled vehicles.
Well what do you know, I wasn't expecting a CAR STICKER from Electra Meccanica but they sent me two with a letter from Mr. Knoll saying they'll be delivering ALL of the initial reservations by next year 2018! I'm very confident that this time around, I will be getting my SOLO and not just a sticker....or a t-shirt! Finger's crossed.:D

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well what do you know, I wasn't expecting a CAR STICKER from Electra Meccanica but they sent me two with a letter from Mr. Knoll saying they'll be delivering ALL of the initial reservations by next year 2018! I'm very confident that this time around, I will be getting my SOLO and not just a sticker....or a t-shirt! Finger's crossed.:D
What the heck! I haven't received any SOLO stickers from Jerry, but he did send me a complimentary Electra Meccanica "Eat My Dust" T shirt. 2018 looks to be a very good year!

Top Bottom