• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just wonder if the TPMS will tell you WHICH tire is low. My BMW just says a tire is low. And makes me figure out which one it is. I've since removed my TPMS system on my BMW cause the batteries are die-ing in the wheels/tires and I don't want to replace them.
That's what they make electrical tape for (just tape over the light) :p

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I still don't see a glass roof or sunroof option. That has me worried. I put a deposit on this vehicle under the notion it would have a sunroof or glass roof.

That's unfortunate :grey: In the year-or-so that I've been following the Elio's development, I was lead to believe that it was a possibility that such would be developed, but no guarantees for the first model year.

That said, a reservation wouldn't be wasted if you couldn't get the glass roof at first. Elio plans to have backwards-compatability on as many options as possible, so upgrading to a glass roof in the future might be as simple as driving to your local Pep-boys to get it installed :D

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I still don't see a glass roof or sunroof option. That has me worried. I put a deposit on this vehicle under the notion it would have a sunroof or glass roof.
They have talked about a "see-through" panel, maybe on Gen I, likely on Gen II
Sunroof would be too small to be practical (about the size of a piece of paper 8x11 max outside, smaller on the inside)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, that roof isn't very big to begin with and then, there are structural pieces in there. They would probably be much more likely to offer a moon roof (remember those?) than a sun roof.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, that roof isn't very big to begin with and then, there are structural pieces in there. They would probably be much more likely to offer a moon roof (remember those?) than a sun roof.
Moonroof? Most people call the factory style drop down and slide back inside the roof as a moonroof, that would be out of the question.
What are you calling a moonroof?

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Do you recall where you got that notion and when? I have only been following for two years and in that time it has been discussed as "wouldn't it be neat if..." but never said to be actually offered. Was it in person at one of the shows and not in print?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Moonroof? Most people call the factory style drop down and slide back inside the roof as a moonroof, that would be out of the question.
What are you calling a moonroof?
To me the moonroofs would pop up in the back and vent but were not removable. Sunroofs would move out of the way for you. So, yeah, if the moonroof had a slide back cover, that might be hard in the Elio but if it were just a glass panel in place of the plastic roof panel, I would call that a moonroof.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
However, there are lots of folks out there to whom a car is a magical box that you put gas in. For those folks, the TPMS sensor and fill-assist are very handy and can prevent over-inflation.
For most folks a car is transportation, not occupation or vocation. It's like an appliance to them, and they treat it like one. Manufacturer's have to take that into account when they design and build vehicles. If you're building a vehicle that requires constant attention and maintenance, and dedicated tools to do it, you're going to sell an unpopular vehicle.

Also: Despite the fact that I probably own at least a dozen tire pressure gauges of various kinds, I never seem to actually have one when I need it. TPMS seems like an option I'd want to have.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Slime tire repair kit
Works fine, lasts long time :p

Used to work in a tire shop. Not a fan of the slime products. They are best suited for slow moving vehicles.
It's not a permanent solution and should only be used to get to a proper tire shop. A repair of an unstable puncture can result in a high speed blowout.

As for compressed air cans and electrical air pumps, these are fine in urban and suburban environments.
Compressed air cans are fast inflating, which is good, but once it's gone, that's it. Screw up the connection or find a second hole in the tire and you're done. I've don't a lot of long distance bicycling where weight is a major factor. The compressed air guys end up stranded. Have a hand pump.

The electrical pumps are best if you have back or knee issues. I always shy away from depending on something with extra cords and moving parts. If you're going to depend on a electrical pump, do NOT go cheap. Or if you insist on going cheap, have a foot pump as a backup.

Top Bottom