• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One minor suggestion for the configurator would be an indicator of whether gas mileage should increase or decrease with certain options (e.g. the chin or deck spoilers). Just qualitative, not necessarily hard numbers or estimates. We all know Yellow is virtually guaranteed to increase mpg by 2% or more, so EM might as well incorporate that into The Configurator (am I the only one who hears an ominous booming echo every time I say "The Configurator?").

Perhaps these sort of qualitiative tests may be part of the E-series testing? Once they've established a baseline, it makes sense to see how some of the options may effect the milage.

Dragonz

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Perhaps these sort of qualitiative tests may be part of the E-series testing? Once they've established a baseline, it makes sense to see how some of the options may effect the milage.

With the options, would the qualitative testing need to be done with each option? If so, I can see that extending the dead line out again...

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Almost sounds like you are speaking with a deep voice and trying to emulate Darth Vader.

I would agree as well with the whole fuel economy thing. Also, if there was a way that we could see something as to giving suggesting how we want the Elio colored. I mean options like matte, gloss, and other different aspects.

On a side note, just so that I know for future references, how hard would it be to convert the door to a butterfly of gull wing opening?

I would assume no harder to convert than any other car. Most everything on the Elio is "off the shelf" parts, so the door internals and hinges will be from an already in production vehicle...Just need to figure out which one when you order your 'single' gullwing door kit.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On a side note, just so that I know for future references, how hard would it be to convert the door to a butterfly of gull wing opening?

A butterfly door or Lambo/scissor door should both be an easy conversion since they just replace the hinges at the front of the door. A bolt-on kit would be nice, but at first we will likely just have to go with weld on universal kits.

A gull wing door conversion would be more difficult. I would not want to try to cut into the roof since I am sure the frame rail on the door side is structurally important and there is an airbag up there. I am sure it is do-able, but probably not worth the hassle over a butterfly door.

Dragonz

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
A butterfly door or Lambo/scissor door should both be an easy conversion since they just replace the hinges at the front of the door. A bolt-on kit would be nice, but at first we will likely just have to go with weld on universal kits.

A gull wing door conversion would be more difficult. I would not want to try to cut into the roof since I am sure the frame rail on the door side is structurally important and there is an airbag up there. I am sure it is do-able, but probably not worth the hassle over a butterfly door.

Yeah, I can see what you mean with the gull wing configuration. With the butterfly and lambo/scissor doors, would it be difficult to get into the hinge assembly to alter those dynamics? I haven't done any welding or body work on a car before, so I'm a pretty big noob at it haha

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Almost sounds like you are speaking with a deep voice and trying to emulate Darth Vader.

I would agree as well with the whole fuel economy thing. Also, if there was a way that we could see something as to giving suggesting how we want the Elio colored. I mean options like matte, gloss, and other different aspects.

You would have to grossly strengthen the frame, double the weight of the door (at least), and add a ton of hardware. Heavy city mileage penalty, if it could be done. Some things are not meant to be.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see what you mean with the gull wing configuration. With the butterfly and lambo/scissor doors, would it be difficult to get into the hinge assembly to alter those dynamics? I haven't done any welding or body work on a car before, so I'm a pretty big noob at it haha

We will not really know until we can get a look at a production model. Most cars have enough space in the door hinge area to swap to a butterfly style hinge, but it might be too tight in there on the Elio. I would have a body shop do it since my welding skills are horrible :)

Hopefully we will know in less than a year!

Top Bottom